Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

04 mountaineer please help!!!

I would think a used one would be easy to find. There are a ton of these explorers and most are 4.0 sohc. And for curiosity sake, what's wrong with the motor? Keep an eye out on craigslist. You might find a wrecked one or something with a bad tranny. You could even find one in rough shape...
  2. B

'02 Explorer... grinding / grabbing / stuttering -- noise and feeling

I had a rear caliper freeze up last summer while on vacation. I could feel it a little, but it didn't seem to pull at all. Best way to tell is to get out and smell it after driving. Mine was very obvious. I changed it out in a parking lot. Took 20 minutes and I was back on the road. Easy to...
  3. B

Weird Engine Sound I could use a hand in identifying

He said it makes the noise with the belt off, so doesn't seem like it could be a pulley. Get yourself a stethoscope ($4 at harbor freight) and start poking around. You can probably pinpoint it that way.
  4. B

'02 Explorer... grinding / grabbing / stuttering -- noise and feeling

I'm pretty sure the wheels spinning off and on is normal. The system is trying to find traction. Also, when you changed the diff fluid, did you add the Ford friction modifier? It's required for limited slip diffs. You'll have whining/grinding/shutter without it. Plus, you should have put in...
  5. B

I don't think my 4wd works.

True. I feel mine kick in all the time when I pull into my gravel driveway, uphill. Going straight, I doubt you would ever know.
  6. B

New Explorer owner, multiple querries!

You should have asked the seller who quoted him $800 to redo the rear dif. I'd be all over it. I'm pretty sure it costs quite a bit more than that.
  7. B

4wd transfer case motor replacement help

Here it is: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1102904
  8. B

4wd transfer case motor replacement help

I just read a great write-up with pics the other day on how to repair one of these. Removal looked easy. I'm not sure it was on this forum or not. Sorry. Try a few Google searches and see what comes up. That's probably how I came across it.
  9. B

Alternator or Alternator Bearing?

That alternator is really easy to take off. Remove it and run it down to the parts store. They can bench test it. Also, if the bearing is toast, it will be noticeable away from all the other engine noises. Oh, and before you go, look online for discounts and coupons. I saved a bunch on my...
  10. B

How does your explorer do off-road?

The Explorer has Hankook a/t tires. The f150 has Cooper a/t's. Both are basically the same size, except the ex has 16" wheels and the truck is 15". I suppose the coopers could just be a better performing tire, but I don't think that's it. The goodyears i took off were still on pretty good shape...
  11. B

Hideous shaking engine -1% available power

Did this just start out of the blue? Anything happen leading up to it?
  12. B

Nope. Both are lsd.
  13. B

Rear Driver Side Hub and Bearing Cost?

Just had the same one done for $327 total. This was with a new "updated" bearing assembly. I think the cheaper bearing was about $40 less. This was at a local garage with a good reputation.
  14. B

Is it worth it?

Agreed. These are nice vehicles and the payment for something comparable in a new model is high. I spent a little money on mine. About $2500 lately with a level, repairs, and new larger tires. I'm pretty well caught up on repairs now and we have a nice explorer with no car payment. The trick is...
  15. B

Lost, and Wife is NOT happy......

Possibly a problem where the key (security chip) has lost its pair with the ignition? I'm pretty sure it will still turn over with a bad key. I have a regular key for mine, just in case we lock the keys up and forget the keypad code (or it stops working for some reason). This is how i know it...
  16. B

Is it worth it?

I know a guy that does mechanic work on the side for extra money. I don't have a garage and refuse to work on my back in the mud and gravel in 30 degree weather. I also work on a river boat and don't like spending my entire off-time doing chores. He did all the suspension work on mine, except...
  17. B

Check your gas cap light

My light comes on periodically. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time until one day I was filling up and noticed one or two drops of fuel below the filler neck area. It looks like it may be rusting right where the rubber hose connects to it. I'd replace the filler neck, but the part is a...
  18. B

another rear end whine thread

You need to figure out where the noise is coming from. However, If the fluid hasn't been changed in a while, it sure wouldn't hurt. It needs to be put on a rack and use a stethoscope to isolate the noise. Then go from there.
  19. B

2002 Ford Explorer ABS light on please help!

Do a write-up on it with pics, if you can!:salute:
  20. B

Rear end Growling on first drive

Yes, but it makes everything more difficult and more expensive to work on! Do you mind me asking what kind of price he quoted you on the bearing? I paid the shop to do mine. It was $320, I believe, which included the part. I'll also mention that the snap ring broke when they b removed it...
  21. B

Sorry I somehow missed your sig info. Does the noise happen constantly or just turning at slow speed? My ex has 140,000 miles and I've replaced 2 wheel bearings already. They offer a slightly higher-priced replacement with a new design, which is supposed to last longer. As for your rear-end, if...
  22. B

I have no idea what year or model you have, but I'm going to assume you have a limited slip rear-end and you need to change the fluid and add Ford friction modifier.
  23. B

I have a 2002 xlt and a 92 F150, both 4x4. I have to admit...that old truck will go places my explorer could only dream of. Now, I don't do much off-road traveling. Not really. However, I live in the mountains of west virginia. My road is gravel/dirt/mud/ice/snow. I definitely put both vehicles...
  24. B

03 explore won't start

Fwiw, I occasionally have a starting issue myself. It normally fires right up, but sometimes I let off the key before it starts up. When I do this, and have to try starting it again, the second time is very hard to start. I believe it might be a fuel pressure problem. If I researched how the...
  25. B

03 explore won't start

Surprised you're not getting a cel for it if it's running rich and running rough. I would be curious as to what the plugs look like when you pull them. Do you know how many miles are on them? I changed mine at around 100,000 and I'm pretty sure they were original. They are supposed to last a...
Back