Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

08 LTD Getting new tires soon. TPMS questions

I had a band break but the TPMS was not damaged. Recently changed to BFG Rugger Trails and left the TPMS alone.
  2. T

Is it ok to switch to 10w-30?

The 0W- and 5W- are often used to increase fuel mileage as every bit helps the OEMs avoid the CAFE taxes. It seems the 0W- and 5W- are interchangeable so it would lead you to believe the 5W- and 10W- should be somewhat interchangeable.
  3. T

How long do original struts last for 2006 Explorer, 4 x 4?

Shocks/strut inserts are advertised as 50k mile service items by the shock/strut insert manufacturers (like 3mo, 3k mile oil changes by oil change shops!). In reality a bounce test and visual check should suffice. With strut inserts you can't see if they are leaking. And when you install strut...
  4. T

Winter performance

I am not sure how else to say this. I know tires make a difference, I feel dumber having to say that. I find it interesting that most of you think people who ask questions must be stupid or have never worked on a car. Before I put that company $$ into the car I wanted to make sure this...
  5. T

hissing sound

Search it and you should find info and the PN you need. There is a plastic diaphragm near the passenger side firewall in the engine bay that you swap out. The part from ford is about $7 if I remember correctly. I had to do this a few months back.
  6. T

Winter performance

Thanks for the responses, I just wanted to know if your experiences in snow were better than mine. This is a company car so I am just trying to figure out if we need to upgrade the tires. Everything else, brakes, calipers, etc has been gone through when it was purchased this summer. I work for...
  7. T

Winter performance

-
  8. T

Winter performance

I don't really want this to be about tires, but just the general opinions about the explorer's winter capabilities. I would not put Cooper tires in the same category as what I am using, they are a real tire company with a good reputation!
  9. T

Winter performance

I have had plenty of AWD or 4WD vehicles and my 2008 explorer is the worst in the snow. I have the V6 and the auto4x4, high 4x4 etc in the dash. It is better in high 4x4 than auto. Anyone else find this to be true? In snow around corners this thing is out of control if moving at a rate of...
  10. T

2006 Explorer V8 4WD Gas Mileage Woes

I get between 9-14mpg during my 3 mile commute depending how many red lights I hit. Sounds like the best way to increase your MPG would be to get a garage. There is no reason to let a vehicle idle for more than 30 sec to a minute unless you just want to heat up the passenger compartment, which...
  11. T

2008 Explorer interior lights turn on unexpectedly

I have asimilar problem but probably not related. My interior lights come on whenever the transmission is put into reverse, so when it is dark outside you can't see anything while you try to backup. I can't believe this is factory design, but I am also not sure the ignition switch is the cause.
  12. T

iPhone 5 and BT Audio not staying connected to Sync

I have the iPhone 4 and a 2008 explorer with Sync (no NAV). It works just fine but I have to select BT Audio every time, the radio always defalts to Line in. It is completely stupid and unnecssary since every other car I have owned or rented with BT worked great all the time. Your problem...
  13. T

Someone please tell me this isn't what I think it is. (pic)

What does the oil in the crankcase look like? If it is frothy and discolored that is bad.
  14. T

Winter Rims & Tires

For winter only on-road tires wider is not necessarily better.
  15. T

Hessing sound when pressing on accelerator

This is exactly my problem, in addition to the hissing sound. This discussion is much appreciated!
  16. T

If this part is bad are any of the systems being degraded? When the part is replaced will the ac work better? thanks for the location info, sounds easy.
  17. T

I have the same issue. Where is this part located?
  18. T

Intermittent Overheating (07 XLT, 4.0L)

Yes, also not a bad time to change the coolant as well if it is original.
  19. T

2006 Ford Explorer air conditioning won't work on level 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 work

30-40 minutes. I had done it before on a different vehicle so I had an idea of what to do.
  20. T

SYNC/bluetooth fails with iPhone music

Yes I updated my sync. The bottom line is for my 2008 I have I set a default aux input, I do not plan to use the cable, just Bluetooth, so I hope I do not have to change that default.
  21. T

2006 Ford Explorer air conditioning won't work on level 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 work

I just did this a few weeks ago. The part was about $75 from Ford but for them to install was going to be hundreds, I think it was $400! Drop the glove box and move a few things out of the way and it is easy. There are some pictures on here for how to do it.
  22. T

Yep, that was it. I hunted through the radio menu and found where I could set the default aux to BT. I find this odd, why does this have to be set? Not really an issue with other cars I have seen. Thanks for that suggestion.
  23. T

yep. Got that covered. I know how to use the iPhone and I think I know how to use the sync, it is just the sync only works once immediately after pairing the phone and then you get nothing when you try to use it again. I can use the AUX line in with a cable, but the wireless bluetooth...
  24. T

Gas Mileage Seems Low

My commute is 3 miles with a few stoplights, my driving style could be described as enthusiastically, and I am averaging between 9 and 12 MPG. I think I would get better mpg with the V8 because the engine would not have to try so hard.
  25. T

This is my 1st post, I have been lurking here for a few weeks but this sync system is driving me crazy. My company bought this car about a month ago, 2008 Explorer XLT V6. I am quite frustrated with the radio. I have the radio with sync (no sat nav) and I cannot get my iPhone music to play...
Back