Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

2003 explorer, 4.6l v8, loose wire and broken egr tube.

According to the service manual that stray wire connector, which comes out of the engine wiring harness, is the fuel rail ground wire. The connector goes on the stud of the fuel manifold. Mine was disconnected for who knows how many years until I dug into figuring it out. Seems to not make a...
  2. H

All Terrain Tire Recommendations

I’m running Cooper AT3s. Great traction on wet, snow, and gravel. And night and day improvement over the Wrangler SR-As that came off. Quieter too and handle just as well. I’ve heard the AT3s get noisier than other tires as they wear, but only had mine 10k mi so I can’t say. I considered the...
  3. H

Lean codes after fixes

I usually unbolt the MAF housing from the air box and just spray the cleaner at the sensor in the direction of air flow from 4-5 inches away for a second or so. Let it dry, repeat, let it dry, and reassemble. A “dirty” MAF sensor may simply be a bit of dust, hard to see, no visible dirt, but the...
  4. H

Lean codes after fixes

Edit: Davies0202 has a good point, reset would be the place to start. — You might try cleaning the mass airflow sensor with some electronic parts cleaner if you haven’t already. Double check the rubber intake tube and smaller hoses on it between the MAF sensor and throttle body for leaks...
  5. H

Idle air control HELP

I second that and I’d recommend finding a Motorcraft one vs parts store brand. Replaced the iac on my 3rd gen with a non-motorcraft and ended up having issues with the idle surging as the trans downshifts causing lurching while coming to a stop. A improperly operating iac can cause sketchy...
  6. H

2003 Hard Shift into Reverse after warm

You should have a 5R55W (See Here). I also have a 03 4.6L and even after after a trans and diff fluid/filter change I still have a harsh engagement to reverse. It’s been going on without getting worse since I got the truck 70k+ miles ago. At 175k miles now. In my case it feels/sounds more like...
  7. H

4.6L AWD strange rubbing/growling sound turning

You may want to create a new thread just for this new issue over here: Transmissions & Transfer Cases Oh, and stop back here when you get back to your original issue, will be interested to know how that turned out.
  8. H

My mind goes straight to low trans fluid, but did you do anything after you had it driving where you drained any fluid? Drive shafts hooked up? I would assume if you didn’t have something wired up correctly you’d get a code, but I wouldn’t rely on that. Just suggesting some obvious ideas, other...
  9. H

Passenger side HVAC blend door

Sounds like you just have an actuator with stripped gears. Of course, your blend door could be jammed/broken as well. I've replaced an actuator before on a single temp system and if that's your only problem there is not duct cutting involved. This is the best guide for the single temp system...
  10. H

Here’s some good info on the viscous couplings in the explorers. It’s not necessarily specific to the 3rd gen. School Me (and you?!) On Viscous Couplings (BW4404) Eddie’s suggestion is probably worth considering first before looking into much else.
  11. H

I’m not super familiar with the AWD but if it has a limited slip rear diff it could be binding up. You may want to change out the gear oil, or if you already did, make sure to add friction modifier even if the oil said it wasn’t required. The limited slip binding up makes a groaning sound at low...
  12. H

Bought an Explorer at an Auction! EEK!

Looking great! I can speak to the difficulty in removing carpet smells. I accidentally left a gallon of milk under the rear passenger seat following a grocery run. One hot summer day later, I had about a half gallon of spilled, rotten milk to clean up. The wiring harnesses and sound...
  13. H

OBD II Scanner for under $20

Thanks for posting this. I've had a USB ELM327 for a few years now and the software it shipped with is rather clunky and annoying at times. Maybe this software will run a little smoother.
  14. H

Idle issue

If the IAC seems to be working properly, some other considerations may be a vacuum leak or a dirty/malfunctioning MAF sensor. I'm guessing by your wording these dips only last a second or two?
  15. H

Idle issue

I would check the IAC valve. It may momentarily be getting stuck or opening/closing too slowly causing your low rpms. Does it seem to do it after letting off the throttle and coming back down to idle?
Back