Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

I am on my 4th Aerostar and my 4th Explorer is sitting in the front yard waiting for me to pull the engine to do the rear timing chain again! Right now I am driving my Dad's 99 Silverado LS Z71 shorty pick up and am actually liking it! After driving my Dad's truck since he passed away, I...
  2. M

How do you remove the spindle on an E-4WD Aerostar van?

Well sometimes messing up is a blessing in disguise, the axle was not bad, not the one that I worked on, the spindle was bad, so my pulling apart by mistake, actually showed the bearings were dry and ready to turn into dust. Working on getting it back together right now, will take some pictures...
  3. M

I will take some pics tomorrow before I put it back together, that will show what I have been talking about.
  4. M

Well I was finally able to get it off this morning, talk about a mass of rust welded metal, I finally got it to budge then had to use the air chisel behind the lip to drive it off, now I have to take the wire brush to everything and clean it up and put rust inhibitor on it so I don't have to go...
  5. M

Thanks, I have that image, but what it does not show, is the rotor and the lug/hub assembly are actually two separate parts, I was able to remove the rotor finally from the front half of the hub assembly, but I have not been able to remove the back half of the hub assembly from the steering knuckle.
  6. M

Oh, I have the nut off and the axle is loose, the only thing that is stuck is the back half of the spindle, which is the sealed bearing housing that also has the lug studs in it, looks like this image in this link...
  7. M

Well had the axle on the right front passengers side go over the weekend, so I figured no problem, pick up a CV axle, zip the old one out, put the new one in! Ya right, I jack her up, pull the wheel, dismount the caliper, darn rotor won't come off the spindle, so I take the three bolts holding...
  8. M

03 Explorer with 04 4.0 SOHC Engine.

Well I am done for the season, pulled the right hand valve cover and found that the rear timing cassette is gone as well, so will be parking it, cover it up and finish next spring, I hate these motors, what a piss poor design. This is the second motor in this rig and only has about 80K on it...
  9. M

SOHC 4.0 general engine timing - TDC

Boy, pulling that right hand valve cover while is the car is going to be a real bear....
  10. M

Thank you, I will pull the covers and time BOTH sides one side being up to 30 degrees out certainly explains why it won't start! :eek: Thanks again, you guys on here are life savers, I would have been lost without all of the great pictures and help threads.. Dave
  11. M

I am going to resurrect this for a moment, 2000street, you have been offering advise on the other thread I have been posting to, I have a question..... When I pulled down my motor, I took both front sprockets off and replaced the chains and the left hand cassette and timed the left hand cam...
  12. M

Street, Just did a fuel pressure test on the drivers side rail, 6 pounds with just turning the key on, then I cranked the engine and it jumped to about 57 pounds, which if I am thinking right means the pump is working and the system is getting fuel. I will do a compression test when it...
  13. M

Well finally, I have this darn thing back together, replaced all the fluids, double checked wiring and gave it take off notice. Fired and ran for about 30 seconds, then quit and now will not fire, I checked spark, has good spark, but I am not smelling any fuel, so I had my wife turn over...
  14. M

As you can see, I edited my message and had to go the other way, the wood jig broke! So my beady little mind started thinking and I just used the cam shaft holding tool to stop anything from moving, I knew the engine was timed correctly, so even if it moved a little, it would not make a...
  15. M

Ok, Crank Shaft Pulley bolt, I have read 41 pounds, then 85 degrees, 37 pounds then 90 degrees, 33 pounds, 80 degrees, which one is correct and who thinks this crap up? Why can't they just give you a final torque value, like in the old days! One thing I will add, if you are trying to figure...
  16. M

Disregard, I figured the bolts out, but now, I am wondering, the torque values for the timing chain cover, I have an extensive list of values for this engine, but I don't see the timing chain cover mentioned, it however does have values for the Front Engine Cover, which I suspect is the timing...
  17. M

I am just wondering, if anyone out there is smarter than I am, of course I took the timing chain cover off and didn't document, which bolt goes where, as we all know that there are different bolts on timing chain covers, which means, some are long and some are short! I should have taken a...
  18. M

Well success, I have installed the timing chains, timed the motor and just waiting for a couple of parts to arrive, Joscibo, has been indispensable in this fix, thank you! One thing I will add, if you are doing your first one of these, buy, beg or borrow the OTC kit, makes things a heck of a...
  19. M

2003 Explorer with 2004 Sport Trac Motor

I stand corrected, I found a thread that has a real good image of what I am talking about: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302949
  20. M

2003 Explorer with 2004 Sport Trac Motor

Ok, after several weeks of working this thing, I finally got all of the tools together to tear it apart and there are few things I have found out, the main one is getting the front timing cassette out. Just a little background to bring you up to speed, I purchased this car 2 years ago, for a...
  21. M

timing chain replacement on 4.0 liter sohc

I had 2 OEM Ford Tensioners seize in the fully extended position and it eventually cause the guide to fall apart!
  22. M

Send me a PM so I know what you need to get out of it, if you would. Thanks.
  23. M

Yes, the OTC kit arrived yesterday, and with the look of things, I am actually glad I bought it, because I am really thinking about pulling the motor and doing it all. I was taking some digital images between the runners this evening and I don't know if I striped the manifold bolt or the fuel...
  24. M

Yup, the inside is rounded off, I don't know how it happened, but now I either have to drill and easy out it, or I cut the manifold and get another one, I gave up and mowed the yard, so I could think about it.
  25. M

Well, I thought I was moving right along Cross, but second to last bolt for the intake manifold on the drivers side is stripped, the only thing I can figure to do, it use the sawzall and cut the last runner off and then pull the manifold so I can gain access, then I will have to purchase a...
Back