Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Should I Get a 4th Gen?

That's the plan! For some reason when I bought the last one the flex fuel option intrigued me but that was a waste. Thank you
  2. J

Should I Get a 4th Gen?

Great info. Thank you. Sounds like minor issues compared to what I'm used to.
  3. J

Should I Get a 4th Gen?

I've had a 3rd generation explorer for the last 5 years. For the most part i have really enjoyed it, however my transmission took a dump at 67,000 miles and I get the feeling moving forward it's going to be one problem after another. I just wanted to ask what the general opinion was of 4th...
  4. J

Transmission Advice :(

So as I feared I had my transmission looked at and was told it needed replaced. I've used rockauto a ton in the past and was recommended that that's the best route for a new transmission also from someone on here. I have a 2004 XLS sport 4.0 4WD Vin w/K. Can someone tell me which exact one I...
  5. J

Transmission going bad?

Not the news I wanted to hear but thanks! So what should my next step be? Should I keep driving it until it's worse then get it fixed? I realize I will probably cause more damage but I've always heard replacing the transmission is about a 2k job so I might as well get it completely rebuilt...
  6. J

Transmission going bad?

I have a 2004 Ford Explorer with 67k miles on immaculate condition with the exception that I am now concerned about the transmission. For the last few days when it hits about 3000rpm and shifts from 1st to 2nd I hear a grinding noise for a split second. It is noticeable worse when accelerating...
  7. J

Noise inside dash after turning ignition off

If EATC means climate control then no I don't, just the knobs
  8. J

Would it still make that noise if you didn't run the AC?
  9. J

Okay thanks guys! I heard something about it you raise the front of the car, making the radiator cap the highest point and start the engine running the heater on high, you can get rid of some of the trapped air. I might ty that but won't worry about it too much.
  10. J

Has anyone has experience with there being a noise coming somewhere inside the dash after turning the engine off. It's hard to explain but It kinda sounds kind like a boiling noise with some chirping noises mixed in and last 5-10 minutes after turning the engine off. Perhaps it's from running...
  11. J

Windshield Washer fluid resevoir question

Okay thanks! And I think another possible solution is although it's been repaired near perfect, I've been finding slight evidence that the original owner may have wrecked it, so I guess they could have replaced it with one with a sensor.
  12. J

Windshield Washer fluid resevoir question

Was changing my tie rod ends today and looked up while doing so. Noticed that my windshield washer fluid resevoir has a sensor plugged into the bottom. However my 2004 Ford Explorer XLS, doesn't have the message center, what's the purpose of the sensor. Thanks in advance for once again answering...
  13. J

3rd gen jack cover/ panel

I have a 2004 explorer XLS. Can anyone tell me if my vehicle is supposed to have a Jack cover/ panel. it hides the jack once you open that storage kid. I realize this is very nonessential, but I've done everything else to make the car brand new, I might as well make sure it has everything it...
  14. J

Front end popping noise question

Yes, everything is Moog. Any ideas? I took the tires off yesterday and tightened everything possible and didn't notice it today. Time will tell though
  15. J

I know I have tightened these at least once since installing them. I remember one side being loose. Should I just tighten them as tight as possible? And do you happen to know what mm wrench?
  16. J

Yes this is 4x4. It does sound similar to the 4x4 engaging noise but the fact that it maxes it as soon it backs over the slight bump makes me thing something is loose. I'll do more research and see if it happens when backing up anywhere after sitting.
  17. J

It actually happens when the steering is completely straight and about a second or two after going straight backwards. Never have noticed it going forwards.
  18. J

Yes it seems like it happens everyone I back up after sitting for a period of time, especially when it does the half inch drop where the garage floor meets the driveway so I am usually always going straight back. I replaced the upper control arms on each side with Moog control arms.
  19. J

I have an 04 explorer 4.0 v6 with 66,000 miles. I have replaced almost everything that would need to be replaced through regular wear and tear including most of the front end suspension complements. The only problem I'm having is that after replaced the lower ball joints, and upper control arms...
  20. J

66,000 Maintainece

I remember checking the rear differential breather, not sure I ever did check the front one, I'll make a note to do so next time I have the wheel off. I do get pretty bad fuel economy, about 11-12 mpg with good driving habits so perhaps you are on to something. Thanks again for your help!
  21. J

66,000 Maintainece

Yeah it's a long story how I purchased this car, I live in Kansas but found it in Colorado when I was on a trip out there and bought it. I usually do extensive research when making purchases but for some reason I didn't this time. Anyway I don't regret it because I really like the way this...
  22. J

66,000 Maintainece

Hey guys, this is kind of a rookie thread (and a long one) but figured there's no better place to ask. I bought this 2004 Ford Explorer xls sport 6 cylinder 4.0 with the flex fuel option. I bought it 3 years ago at 45,000 miles and now currently has 66,000 miles. I paid 10 grand for it in 2012...
  23. J

2004 4.0 XLS vin k miles per gallon question

That's not a bad idea. I'll do that, then try to find best quality gas I can and practice good driving techniques and see if I can get to 14 or 15 mpg
  24. J

Thanks so much for the detailed response, sounds like you really know your stuff. I hooked up my ELM 327, its an iphone compatible OBDii scanner, Im not sure its perfectly reliable but it seems like its pretty good. Here is everything I got, this first picture is a minute after driving at 45mph...
  25. J

Thanks i think you are on to something! I've kinda always suspected I've might have a vacuum leak, hasn't happened in a while but last winter it would die on me in extreme cold (would always start back up) any advice on what numbers to look for in the data or how to find a vacuum leak?
Back