Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Painting brake calipers

I went with black as well, Folia-Tec. Looks great man, nice and clean.
  2. C

thorny vs bogger---road noise

I really liked the Thornbirds offroad, though I never compared them to a Bogger. I did a ton of mudding though, and never got stuck, so they really treated me well and offroad, I was very happy with them. The road noise on the other hand was absolutely AWFUL with them.
  3. C

Largest tires that will fit on a 97 explorer sport 4x4

Pardon the bump on the old topic, but I'm tire-shopping now and 265/75 seems like it's what I'm looking for. Question is, are you guys throwing an ABS light with the slightly larger tire diameter?
  4. C

98 sport speaker whoas

Might be bad stock wiring. Try running new lines to your speakers directly to the HU, instead of using the connections on the harness.
  5. C

I finished the product. 150.2 DB verified.

Very nice, but how are you getting around the "Hey! Steal Me!" factor? You can fit those crossovers in your doors, by the way - I have the same ones in mine. If you'd like, I can pop the panel off and take a pic of the mounting location.
  6. C

My install pics (98 sport) 56k, Pack a lunch

Painfully. :( Taking that panel out is a monster pain, and getting 6x9's in there is an act of will. I used a cutting wheel, sheet metal, about 25 rivets and a TON of dynamat to create the box for them, since for some reason, in my mind that was easier than just buying the proper speakers for...
  7. C

My install pics (98 sport) 56k, Pack a lunch

A few pics from my stereo install. (Ok, a lot of pics). Started around 5:30, got done at 5 frickin' AM. Ack! Still a bunch more to do, including refabbing the amp faceplate so it stretches from side to side without any gaps between the edge and the sidepanel. HU is a CDA-9855, Sub is a...
  8. C

Nitrous on 4.0

I had nitrous on my last car (2000 V6 Eclipse). Honestly if you're not a tuner, and you don't have some serious patience, I wouldn't recommend it. I ran a dry kit, 75/85, two stage shot on stock internals with a window switch. I'm not familiar enough with the Explorer's internals to recommend...
  9. C

Replacing Exhaust: Suggestions/Questions

Pics of the routing would be absolutely awesome bro, thank you. :D
  10. C

Replacing Exhaust: Suggestions/Questions

Hey folks, My muffler on my '98 4.0 has gone south, and I'm looking to replace it with something other than the stock pipe. I went to a Midas today, and the quoted price to replace it with an OEM knockoff is $389 - they'll only replace it from the flange back, including the piping and...
  11. C

Belt Squeak - Ideas?

Hi folks, I replaced my alternator about 2 weeks ago, and my serp belt about a week after that. Today when I started up my 98 4.0, any time the RPM's go over around 1k it squeals like almighty. I checked the belt, it seems tight enough and not overly tight. As far as I can tell from poking...
  12. C

4WD Gone, no 4WD Low Light

^ boink. :(
  13. C

4WD Gone, no 4WD Low Light

I searched, came up with a bunch of people saying to go here: Dead Link Removed But the link is dead. Anyone have a mirror?
  14. C

Hub Bearing Replacement

I need to replace mine as well, left side. From what I'm told, they are universal, yes? If I turn right, the noise gets worse - left and it goes away. I assume then that since the load is on the left when turning right, that's the side to replace?
  15. C

While driving the 4Hi and 4Low blinks.

Sorry, that should have read "On a 98". ;) I'll assume they're in relatively the same spot though. Thanks man.
  16. C

While driving the 4Hi and 4Low blinks.

I have this same issue - can anyone give me a basic idea of where the speed sensors are? :)
  17. C

98 sport -air filter change

Well, I feel absolutely silly having to post this but here goes. I'm changing my air filter. How the heck do I get at the thing? There's two clips on the back of the cover, and then three inch-or-so long tabs that stick into the base where the filter sits. At the risk of sounding inept...
  18. C

Driver door locked

Well, I replaced it. $42 at a dealer for the latch, and about an hour or so to install it, mostly time spent getting the outside handle to feel solid. Not a bad job all in all, but make sure you pay attention when you're taking it apart or you'll be up the proverbial creek when you go to put...
  19. C

Power Door Lock Problem! Need Help

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1043015#post1043015
  20. C

Driver door locked

Also, if anyone has any pointers on getting the panel off without being able to open the door, that'd be just peachy. ;)
  21. C

Driver door locked

I got bit by this bug the other day, after the "pull and press the button" technique, I managed to rip the inside door handle almost completely off this morning. *grumble grumble* And my door is still locked.
  22. C

98 Blinking 4WD High / 4WD Low Lights (fix)

Just an FYI for anyone having this problem and getting this in a search. If you're getting the blinking lights o' doom and your truck won't go into 4High/Low: I had this happen today after going over a series of really badass potholes. Disconnected the battery negative for 15mins...
  23. C

Check out my new steering wheel

New airbag work? If so, good stuff. ;)
  24. C

Super Swamper Thornbirds???

I had Thornbirds on my '94 Yota, and plan on getting a set for my Ex. They sound horrible on the highway, wear like crap and perform so-so.. But imho they're the meanest looking mudder out there. :D
  25. C

2 much lift...?

I still love you man!
Back