Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

2000 explorer trans problem

Trans problem It sounds like you have the blown gasket in the valve body problem. This happens on the Ford auto trans for the 96-01 trans. I had the problem and a dealer wanted 3500 for a new trans. The auto shop wanted 2100-2600 to rebuild. I checked the trans section on this website and found...
  2. S

Air Intake Whistling noise

Whistling noise solution Actually the solution for the noise problem is to look at the IAC valve. Take the plastic cap off and remove the fiber disks inside. The noise will go away. It is that simple because I did it on mine and presto, no whistling!
  3. S

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Trans pan drain plug I thought about putting the plug exactly where you suggest but I have the SOHC engine which has the cat under the pan and the trans fluid would drain directly on the cat. If I had the OHV engine your location would be perfect. Nice pictures and nice job by the way.
  4. S

Position for the drain plug I have been looking through the data files here and may have missed it but where is the best location on the trans pan for the drain plug? Finally got around to pulling the valve body and there was an inch and a half piece of the gasket missing right by the reverse...
  5. S

Plate hole enlarging Thanks for all the help relative to the new Ford plate with bonded gaskets and using the Superior shift kit. I had asked if I needed to follow the Superior instructions and drill out 2 holes on the new Ford plate as opposed to drilling out the 2 holes on the old non-bonded...
  6. S

Back in 2005, "Runnin on Empty" did the Ford parts and Superior shift upgrade and it went great. Others did the same and I am trying to tap into their wisdom. The Ford parts fix the gasket blow out problem and the Superior parts fix the shifting problems. Both are compatible, but do I need to...
  7. S

I got the Superior kit, the Ford bonded gasket/plate assembly and the Ford blow off valve. But now I need a clarification. The Superior kit says that I need to enlarge 2 different holes on the plate with 2 different supplied drills. Since I am not using the original plate but have gone to the...
  8. S

Air Intake Whistling noise

End of the whistling As most of you know if you own an Explorer you will get an intolerable whistling coming from the intake somewhere. I tried everything and got no satisfaction. I was on the verge of replacing the IAC (the one on the side of the intake manifold on the 4.0L OHV engine) when I...
  9. S

start-up rattle, 4.0l SOHC

Boy are you right I just went through the various comments relative to the cam timing, chain and such. Wow! That is nothing like the good old pushrod engines I am used to. I am going to have to take this very slow and carefully. Thanks for the heads up and advice.
  10. S

Thanks I was a bit worried that it was something serious. Changing the timing chain is not that big of a deal. I have done timing chains before on other vehicles. Is there a special kit for this repair or is it a piece it together kind of a deal? Thanks!
  11. S

Start up rattle OK guys you are freaking me out about this rattle stuff. I just bought my first 4.0L SOHC and it has a rattle when I start it up and goes away very quickly as soon as oil pressure is up, which takes 5 seconds at the most. I have had Explorers since my faithful 1992 OHV 2 door...
  12. S

1st to 2nd slow shift

Shift Probs I had to take a long trip yesterday in the Explorer and it was the slow shift into 2nd along with the flashing od signal, but after reading the great comments on the 5R55E Saga, I am convinced it is the VB. I will yank the VB and check the gaskets and probably replace the VB since I...
  13. S

1st to 2nd slow shift

I normally am a manual transmission guy so the automatic has me a bit baffled. I have a 1999 Sport with the 4.0l engine 4x4 and an automatic trans that is slow in the 1st to 2nd shift. It does the same thing as the A4LD governor problem. I do not know if I have the A4LD so I need some advice as...
  14. S

No 4th gear on my 5 speed

Perhaps this has been addressed already, but here it goes again. I have a 98 with the 5 speed, it goes through all the gears just fine with no problems.....all except 4th gear. It will not go into 4th at all. I can go from 3rd to 5th. Any ideas? It almost seems like something is blocking it from...
  15. S

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

Seattle Tow You should have no problems at all. See my post above if you need assurance. The towing ability of your Explorer is more than able to handle a humble 2500 lbs. Something to watch for is if the car being towed is an automatic. If it is, and is a front wheel drive, you will need a 2...
  16. S

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

Towing Capacity MAXED! A few years ago I was going to tow a 1997 XLT Sport. No big deal under normal circumstances, right? I was going to tow it with my 1992 XLT Sport with a clutch and a 4.0. I live in southeast Michigan and was going to upstate New York in the Allegeney mountains to get the...
  17. S

Head Gasket

Well here is the latest on the 99 XLT. I picked it up Friday evening. He did not have a battery in it but I brought one (new) with me. Stuck the battery in and the truck started perfectly and ran like a top. No missing or backfires. The oil and coolant have mixed so I shut it down quickly. It...
  18. S

Head Gasket

The 99 xlt is the ohv. The miles on it are 86,000 and it is like new. No rust! Wahoo!! The guy selling it a fellow university student although he is from Ohio State and I am from the University of Michigan. Go Blue! I cannot complane about the price at $832.00 that we came to an agreement on...
  19. S

Head Gasket

I am picking up a 99 xlt with the 4.0 and a definite blown head gasket. I was looking around and saw this stuff called Thermagasket with all sorts of claims of greatness. Talk is cheap! Has anyone tried this stuff? If this stuff is bogus does anyone have any advice relative to changing head...
Back