Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

I sent Ford this frustrated Email!!

Back when I was fixing the blend door on my '97 Mountaineer, I remember sending some sort of e-mail complaining about the blend door, quality, etc., and someone called me back from Ford Customer Service. That was pretty weird. Of course, that was 3 years ago. Anyway, a few years ago I also...
  2. J

Titanvs F150

Considering that I work for one of the parts suppiers for the Titan/Armada/QX56, and I know about the people in Mississippi since I live in Mississippi, I'm still a little too scared to buy a Canton, MS-made vehicle for now. I know too many people at the other suppliers and at the Nissan-Canton...
  3. J

sxc website

I was wondering that myself. If it's over, it was fine while it lasted.
  4. J

blend door or not???

You can always do a search for Blend Door Fix to see how to fix it. You will see my pictures on my thread and know why it took me 2 days to fix.
  5. J

22MPG. I couldn't believe it.

I've gotten 22 mpg on several occasions driving to and from college with my '97 Mountainer, and it has a V8. I could never get past 20 mpg with the '94 Explorer that I had prior to the Mountaineer. Both had the two package with 3.73 LS rear end as well.
  6. J

The Only One?

my '91 XLT had the rear wiper. It usually worked great as long as the wiper was in good condition, but I usually put the better of my two front wipers when I changed the front ones out. I of course chopped it down to size.
  7. J

Explorer or Mountaineer

Late '96 and '97, the Mountaineer is available in either 2wd or AWD with the V8 only. From '98-2001 the Mountaineer was availabe in 2wd or AWD with the V8 or 2wd or 4wd with the SOHC V6. I think in '99 or '00 the Monterrey trim line was added as a higher level trim package compared to the...
  8. J

We may be getting a new Ford :D

Yep, my auto insurance would still be about $700+ every 6 months since I'm still 24 years old if I still didn't keep the Mounty on my dad's insurance plan and titled under his name, and my homeowner's policy is with the same company. As for the Mustang, do it. They like getting flogged.
  9. J

Taking off FMS headers.

I don't see how getting the headers ceramic coated could hurt. While most people have noticed a slight loss of low end torque with the FMS headers, I still noticed it, but the underhood temps are a lot lower now. I also noticed with my Apten 87 performance program turned on that I don't seem...
  10. J

will U-haul rent to a montaineer??

I wouldn't try to switch vehicles, although I have done it once on a trailer rental since his 5-speed 4-cylinder Ranger was having a hard time with the trailer, so I hooked it up the Mountaineer since the '97's only engine is a V8. Try reserving one online with a Mountaineer. The last time...
  11. J

High-pitched screeching coming from front wheels and SCREW UHAUL.

Possible screaching is the brake pads. Does it happen when coasting or driving (foot not on brake pedal) or when the foot is on the brake pedal. Brake pads are not hard to change out since you have disc brakes, and a good set at the auto parts store is about $30-35. If the pads aren't worn...
  12. J

U HAUL AGAINST EXPLORERS!!!!

You can't pull a trailer because of the stupid people driving SUV's and trucks rather than a little Honda who don't realized that trucks and SUV's handle differently, plus aren't very good drivers either. :mad: Enough of that little rant. I've been in a situation or two where I should have...
  13. J

Nice Brakes!!

I'm not sure of PA's inspection laws, but I know that in Mississippi I've gone to get my inspection sticker on more than one occasion without doing anything more than pulling in, pulling out my wallet and handing the dude $5 for the sticker, which costs $5. Either way, we don't do anymore than...
  14. J

How to: My take on the blend door fix for 95+ Explorers (several pics)

I'm sure that when I said that certain A/C components didn't need to be removed, I forgot to mention that I am 5'10", 145 lbs., and wear a medium glove, although the Mechanix gloves that I just bought are a large this time.
  15. J

The last time I checked, their hitches were made by Draw-tite, but then again this was back in '98 or '99 when I was shopping. Draw-tite, Sure-Pull, Hidden Hitch, etc. they all seem to be pretty good. For some reason, Draw-tite was sending me free stuff for a little while back a few years...
  16. J

10w30 instead of 5w30

Although 5W-30 is recommended in the manual, 10W-30 is ok to use in warm climates.
  17. J

I just went to U-haul's site, and they would allow a Mercury Mountaineer under the vehicle selector, but not a Ford Explorer. I wonder if I were to make a reservation if they would either give me a call to either confirm or deny my reservation or if I would have to wait until I go to get it...
  18. J

Electric or Mechanical gauge?

I went electric on mine since I didn't want hot fluids in my passenger compartment, as Alec mentioned. Sure a mechanical is more accurate and doesn't get influenced by have connections like an electrical would, but my electrical problems would leave my guage fully pegged or complete off, so a...
  19. J

BFG Mud Terrain on Stock '96 sport?

Stock tire for stock tire will fit fine. I have two sets of Mountaineer wheels, the first set for my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos and the 2nd set for my Mud Kings. Mud Kings are supposed to be similar to the BFG Mud Terrains, so they are probably just as noisy, but it didn't bother my in town...
  20. J

5 liter header install (rant)

After about a year from the day of purchase, I finally installed my FMS headers on the Mountaineer. Talk about a pain in the ass. If it wasn't for the fact that I got a bonus a work this week, I'd be hurting from the $300 in tools that bought to make the job easier and actually possible in...
  21. J

MPG way down when I turn the heat on.

Or, your thermostat could have "blown up" or corroded itself apart like mine, acting like a stuck-open thermostat. My thermostat
  22. J

December Ride of the month

Thanks, I've been busy working 7 days a week plus doing a little duck hunting since I've been on vacation since Tuesday.
  23. J

Explorer Chassis same as Ranger?

The front clip of the Explorer and Ranger frames of the same vintage might have been "similar," but while both frames are made by the same company, the Explorer frame was made by Tower Autmotive in Corydon, IN while the Ranger frame was made at one of the Tower Automotive plants in Milwaukee...
  24. J

Anyone use a 115v wire feed welder?

What you want to do can be done with a 115V Mig welder, but I think that you'd be much happier with a 220V, and you would use it a lot more because you will be happier with your results. I was comtemplating whether to get the Millermatic 135 or 175, and I opted for the 175 since it's more...
  25. J

The ongoing war...BFG A/T KO's vs. Bridgeston Dueler A/T Revo's

I opted for the Revos back around Thanksgiving, and it's been a good buy so far, paying around $480 including installation and taxes at my local Firestone while getting my lifetime alignment done. I liked the fact that they seems very stable in driving rains and a 30 mph crosswind while...
Back