Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

I had 110,000 on my mountaineer and it shifted perfectly. The 2002 explorer we have is at 186,000 on the original tranny and it still shifts perfect.
  2. E

WTB: Power Steering Reservoir

Yes I sure do.
  3. E

Bad Transfer Case and Rear Differential?

Well guys, I have been putting off the inevitable. I believe the rear differential and transfer case on my 04 AWD Mountaineer are both bad. I have a bad whine in the back end that has been confirmed(by a couple good shops) to be bad bearings in the rear differential. The main problem I have is...
  4. E

Vibrations At 65+ mph

Basically the same exact thing for me.
  5. E

Replace ball joints or the whole control arm.

You can get the whole control arm for $45 a side or the ball joints for good ones are over $25-$30 I believe. I did the whole upper control arms on both sides of my 04 about two weeks ago. I'm glad I did too, because it was a Michigan vehicle and the uppers were rusty. I feel better with brand...
  6. E

Engine purchase question.

It will mount up, you just need to swap a few things over from the old engine.
  7. E

WTB: Power Steering Reservoir

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0L V6 non-flex fuel engine. I am needing the power steering pump reservoir. Let me know if you have one and what it would cost me.
  8. E

04 4.0 Bank 1 and 2 lean

Do you have a P0171 and a P0174? If so you're most likely looking at a bad mass air flow sensor. When you get both of those at the same time it's almost always an issue with the MAF or IAC.
  9. E

Help Me Confirm a Bad Viscous Coupling

So I've been reading through about 30 different threads on here and I would like to get some opinions before I go replacing my coupling. I'm already a few grand into this car as far as money goes on repairs in the last few months. Needless to say, I don't want to be blowing any money. I have an...
  10. E

How many K on your explorer and what repairs recently

04 Mountaineer 107,000 miles Oil change - synthetic oil Front diff fluid change Rear diff fluid change - Looked like chocolate milk. Trans service Front left cv axle Front right wheel hub Spark plug change New rear abs speed sensor New tires That about covers it for now. I'm 99% certain it...
  11. E

5R55S - Reverse doesn't want to engage

I just took my Mountaineer on a ten hour two day trip. On the second day, I pulled into a gas station, filled it up, and then tried to drive off like normal. I put the car from Park into Reverse with my foot on the brake and the car did absolutely nothing. So I put the car back into park and...
  12. E

Bad abs sensor....

Yeah from the actual car to the hub. As far as testing that actual pigtail, I will get back with you shortly.
  13. E

Post Double Din pics..

Will a 7" double din just sit right in there or do I need to get the dash install kit for it? It looks like it should just sit right in there right?
  14. E

Maintenance

Not a problem. I would tell you what the transfer case takes but I've seen a few different things people say on here, so I don't want to tell you wrong. I'm actually going this week to have the front, rear, tranny, and transfer case fluid changed.
  15. E

Maintenance

No you have a transfer case, a transmission, a front differential, and a rear differential. The front diff should take 80-90w gear oil. The rear 75-140 full synthetic. Transfer case and tranny both take something different and are two different units.
  16. E

Is it time to part with this '03 Explorer?

Lifetime warranty pads brake pads- $22. Rear bearing/hub assembly - $135 Rear diff fluid change - $8 for friction modifier - $20 for full synthetic fluid 4 tires - $370...
  17. E

Bad abs sensor....

If you just bought it a few months ago, they should replace it. It could be that your wiring going into the hub sensor is bad though, like a bad pigtail. Either way, if you think it's bad they should replace it.
  18. E

2003 Explorer 4.6L Kicking or Bucking on Hard Acceleration

Usually when I see vehicles that buck like that it's either a coil, idle air control, or mass air flow sensor. But with the IAC and MAF you usually notice it acts up when sitting at a light at idle. I've definitely seen coils cause the issue of bucking though. My brother in law had a few coil...
  19. E

Abs module?! please read :)

If the module is bad then he is right about the price roughly. They usually are right around 1200-1600 depending on what Ford dealer you go to. It usually is over a grand for a new one. You can buy used ones and have them flashed. You can also always look online for a module...
  20. E

What kind of motor oil do you use?

The previous owner of my car ran conventional valvoline. As soon as I got it, I switched it to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Highly recommended.
  21. E

4.0 vs 4.6?

I've liked the two 4.0L V6s better than my V8 to be honest, but in fairness the car with the v8 has a lot of issues. Where as the two 4.0L V6s were some of the nicest and best taken care of vehicles I've ever seen. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I will say I like the old 4.6L v8 in...
  22. E

I am thinking O2 sensor, how about you!

I see a lot of P1074 and P1071 at work and it is usually a MAF versus an oxygen sensor. If you get both it's almost always that MAF. There's a pretty easy way to tell if it is the MAF or not. Just go over by your air filter and you should find the MAF sensor plugged in along your air intake...
  23. E

Fuel Mileage, Open to everyone

When my wife drives the Mercury it averages about 15 mpg, and she does about 70/30 city/highway. When I drive it, I average about 18 mpg and I drive about 60/40 city/highway. I can baby it in the city and get 17-18. On the interstate cruising at 70-80, I can average 19-20 mpg. When I bought it...
  24. E

What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today?

I'm getting ready to wash, wax, and sand mine. Only sanding a few areas, but I've got a little bubbling and also a rear passenger door that a young kid decided to carve their name into. So I'll be working on cleaning it up and fixing the paint. Next will be spark plugs and differential fluid...
Back