Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Looking to buy '98 explorer 4x4, but no keys

Its only the keys you are missing? And im guessing its the security system you are worried about primarily (not great with all the abbreviations yet) but if that is so you can go to the dealer and they can make a key off of the vin itself sometimes so you dont have to change anything at all...
  2. J

valve covers rtv'd...now surging

Well this weekend proved to be one huge mess. My valve covers were leaking again so we decided to fix the problem one more time. The bolt on the back of the alternator broke the rest of the way friday night (was partially broken since i bought the vehicke 2 years ago) had a guy fix that thank...
  3. J

need valve covers for 4.0 ohv

Well this weekend proved to be one huge mess. The bolt on the back of the alternator broke the rest of the way friday night (was partially broken since i bought the vehicke 2 years ago) had a guy fix that thank goodness saving money, put it all back together after rtv ing the valve covers on and...
  4. J

The ones i have are not bent but just leak. I have torqued everything to spec both times but no matter how well i think they are cleaned or straight (flat) it never works and ends up leaking months later. I would do junkyard but mine dont look bad to begin with but still leak i dont wanna take a...
  5. J

I have and honestl at this point if i find nothjng on here i will go to the dealer. Prices on ebay are close to the same and if i have issues with a new part id rather be able to drive to a dealer rather than ship to ebay just to save 5 bucks. I figured if someone on here had a set that was used...
  6. J

Need a rust free good set of valve covers for my 2000 explorer 4.0 ohv. Apparently doing the gaskets twice in a lil over a year has not stopped the oil leak and now im trying to find a good set and have had no luck locating them in the aftermarket parts
  7. J

Engine trouble. Help!!!

Oh it's the 4.0 OHV version. Sorry didn't list that in the info
  8. J

Engine trouble. Help!!!

Here's what we did... It ran coming in the garage but had a head gasket and head problem. Fixed that. All new gaskets. Two new heads put on. New timing chain and sprockets. Here's a video of what it's doing please someone give me an idea of what to check. I'm out of ideas...
  9. J

Head gasket project

WOW, what a crappy morning, had sent the heads out to be checked only to find one is severly cracked and the other one is starting to like it might be heading the same direction. getting two new castings though and just switching everything. Way too much money that i didnt wanna spend right...
  10. J

Head gasket project

Rudyj I am assuming you have the OHV engine? Make sure to have someone check te heads for cracks!! Do not buy a rebuilt casting either because they are ones with previous cracks someone prolly "welded" for a shoddy repair
  11. J

Head gasket project

I was able to find 8mm exhaust bolts at advance that come in a ten pack. They are not exact but will work, they were next to the ones they said would work but dont. Take one with you to match it up but if you get the pack i am talking about they are a lil longer and the thread lengths on wach...
  12. J

Head gasket project

Well finally found the right manifold bolts hopefully, and i know there was no need to open the a/c system but as we were pretty sure it was empty and checked before we did remove the compressor it makes everything a little bit easier. And Thuggsy the bolts, even though no ones system had them...
  13. J

Head gasket project

Well Thuggsy thanks for the response but if thats the case, did you ever find somewhere that had them right?????? I have been using advance for everything and so far the manifold bolts are the only thign wrong, so is that only your experience then ...
  14. J

Head gasket project

Another question, I have never worked on A/C in any vehicle I've owned. If it is completely empty(which i am guessing since when we took off the compressor there was no sound of anything leaking, oh and she said the ac hadnt worked in years) Is it most likely a leak or could it be as simple as...
  15. J

Head gasket project

Have a question or two for ya'll I got this Explorer a week ago knowing it needed a head gasket, well thats all well and good I can do that, however, When we were taking the exhaust manifold off the bolts broke(no surprise there) but when i went to Advance Auto parts the bolts they have listed...
Back