Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Transmission Fluid Change

It might look like there is room which is what I thought too. After spending several hrs on your back trying to maneuver the pan to get it out you'll think differently. It's an issue that's been addressed before on this site for 98/99 sohc's with 4wd.
  2. L

Can't tell from your pics but I believe you'll have the same problems that I did. I'm pretty sure that the 98 and 99 SOHC's with 4wd are the same and require a disco of the front drive shaft and/or exhaust to completely remove the pan. There are other posts on this site that address this issue...
  3. L

hatch lock making noise

Don't know. I think the actutator for my 98 was around $75 from the dealership. Why don't you just call a dealership and find out or try Ford Parts Network. They should be able to tell you.
  4. L

Brake fluid flushing

One tip is to suck out most of the old fluid from the master cylinder (use a turkey baster) and refill with fresh fluid before bleeding.
  5. L

4wd auto

You may want to take a look at this thread paying close attention to post #30: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144849&page=1&pp=20
  6. L

4wd auto

LOL...never seen the dash guts of a RHD X. I'm guessing everything will be the same as the pics Gijoecam posted only to the opposite side of the dash. If you follow his instructions I'm sure you'll be able to locate the BW.
  7. L

4wd auto

There are several Brown wire mod threads on this site since it was kind of a 'work in progress'. Aussie's link is the one to follow if you're going to access the BW in the dash. GIjoecam discovered that eariler attempts to access the BW in the dash to the right side of the radio (like the link...
  8. L

Brown Wire Mod for Control-Track

Gas mileage gains will be none or very small. With control trac everything up front is connected. There are no hubs that can be disconnected. When the X is in motion the wheels spin the axles which in turn spin the drive shaft. The front wheels never actually free spin as they would if you...
  9. L

Lost about what??? :rolleyes: Get a little more specific and we will try and help.
  10. L

simple question........

look on etrailer.com. Here's the adapter for my 98 (connects to the plug under the drivers side tail light): Dead Link Removed Scroll down the link and you'll see what the plug looks like... Don't know if it's the same for your 94 but I'm sure you'll be able to find what you need on...
  11. L

message center will it work?

Have you seen this thread (it can also be accessed from the 'List of Useful Threads' section: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=677621#post677621 It may help.
  12. L

98 limited keys do they have chips in them??

Take a look at: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=552568#post552568
  13. L

New 98 limited and a few minor problems

Congrats with your X. Do a search for "radio display" and you'll get all the info you need. Very common problem. Some have tried to fix it themselves others have sent it out for repair. Costs about $115.00 to send it out but I think there is a guy on ebay who will fix them cheaper. The...
  14. L

Beats me... Assuming you have control trac (your dash switch says 4x4 Auto, High and Low) and that you have accessed the correct BW then the only thing I can think of is that your transfer case is screwed up. Something may be causing it to be permanently stuck in 4wd.
  15. L

Don't mean to be rude here but do you have a question? Hundreds of people have sucessfully done this mod so it does work when done correctly. Without knowing what you 'did or didn't do' we really can't be much help. Did you access the correct BW? Did you properly wire in a switch? How have...
  16. L

Must be different with a 2000 X with an SOHC and 4wd. On my 98 SOHC 4wd there is no way that the tranny pan can be completely removed without first disconnecting the front drive shaft or the exhaust. One or the other is in the way and block you from removing the tranny pan all the way.
  17. L

Throttle Cable Mod

Link worked for me: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=56393 However I do seem to remember that the pics were no longer working. All you really need to do is just install a spacer around the cable where it attaches by the gas pedal. This will take up some of the...
  18. L

Help, my driver's side door handle springs broke

Here you go... just found it: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51732
  19. L

Help, my driver's side door handle springs broke

Your options are: 1) Replace the handle with a new one. Ebay has them but color match may be a problem. 2) Junk yard 3) Try and repair the broken handlle. There are instructions on the site somewhere and I'll try to find them and post a link. All options require you to drill out...
  20. L

:chug: :thumbsup:
  21. L

Cause I'm to lazy to answer my second BW thread of the day I'll refer you to this one: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144825 If you follow the links within it you will see pics of accessing the BW in either the dash or the floor. I did mine in the dash and used a...
  22. L

Seafoam Question

Hate to get in the middle of this but I've only run seafoam twice. The first time thru the brake booster and the second time thru the IAC tube. Both times I got a healthy amount of white smoke.
  23. L

Clock Randomly Resetting

I'll take a stab here too. On my wife's Lexus the clock resetting thing is the the early warning signal that the battery needs to be replaced. Any chance your battery is old?
  24. L

Dont know where you read that... Please post a link to the post. Brown wire mod only works with control trac (dash switch says Auto, 4x4 high and 4x4 low). It does not work on awd (ie; fulltime 4wd).
Back