Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

BackBone's '97 Mercury Mountaineer

I sold it... We will see what the future holds..
  2. B

Engine rebuild? - The Cost?

Thanks for the replies! I have also been thinking of just finding another lower miles mounty and swapping the t-case and tires over. Might be less of a head ache!
  3. B

Engine rebuild? - The Cost?

Hey guys. Been a while since I started a thread. Reason being is that my Mountaineer blew a freeze plug on me and overheated. It has been sitting in my driveway for about a year because I lacked the room to work on it. - single car garage. So anywho, I was going to get rid of it - on craiglist...
  4. B

4406 shifter boot

Not mine but this might help: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/convert-v8-awd-to-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/#post-1513058
  5. B

Life expectancy question

I got 270K on mine. Blew a freeze plug and overheated due to steel plugs and using water! This motor still fires up first crank but I know it is done. It's a 5.0.
  6. B

AWD to A4WD transfer case swap question

Here's MountaineerGreen's write-up which I used to do the manual swap. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/convert-v8-awd-to-bw-4406-manual-shift-a-how-to-thread.166726/
  7. B

1999 Bauer AWD 3" Body Lift?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-2nd-gen-bodylift-pa-883-bodylift-instructions.240957/ Also, I have a functioning AWD case in my garage for sale if you want it. Down in Redlands.
  8. B

Early 97 Mountaineer DC front drive shaft

Hey guys, I have a double cardon front drive shaft laying around that I pulled from my mounty years ago when I replace my trans and tcase. The original shaft is a 4 bolt set up with double cardon on the case side. In the swap I ended up with a cv style. Anyways, is the double cardon shaft the...
  9. B

For Sale Parting Out 2000 XLT V8 AWD

Mileage? Engine price?
  10. B

01 5.0 bw4406

I was going to say that I clearanced the floor after I installed the tcase. It was harder but showed me right where to bash! You will love the swap!! !!
  11. B

BackBone's '97 Mercury Mountaineer

:roll: Blew a freeze plug.:thumbdwn: Overheated.:eek: Stalled.:fire: Cooled down.;) Started up.:burnout: Got me home.:bounce: Now it is sitting in the driveway looking sad. :( Plans?: New engine (good used) and keep on running!! :):hammer::chug::burnout:
  12. B

Lockers, articulation and traction

Sounds right. But isn't one of the first shortcomings that arise - after curing the "newbie driver syndrome" - is the need for lockers? So then learning to drive better will give me a better idea as to why I need lockers and how they will help?
  13. B

Plan on getting the shackle that fits the receiver.
  14. B

Your avitar frightens me!:D ;) No, this is definately a budget build. Now if I could only sell the old AWD t-case and driveshafts, I could use that for more upgrades!:thumbsup:
  15. B

Don't plan on leaving the spring out. Spider gears would have too much play otherwise. Too many shims and the pin will not slide in so hence the spring. As far as the LSD upgrade, I plan on using the following links as guidelines Clutch and Steel order explanation...
  16. B

Yes. Summit sells the rebuild kit. That is definately on my radar!
  17. B

Thanks! I actually have tow points in the front but only my hitch in the rear. I need to get tow points for the rear... Also, I did air down but only to about 20lbs. My buddy had a compressor on his rig... But I will definately get one for my own. I have the tank skid. I need to put it back...
  18. B

Thanks. My research is leading me to lockers first, then other mods. It will be a while before I can afford lockers. And seeing that I need to re-gear anyways, it will be even longer before I can get that done. I will do the Limited slip rebuild with larger packs to increase friction for now.
  19. B

Hey guys, I've spent way too much time wheeling on the internet so I finally got the Mounty out on the trails and did a run with a friend up Rowher flats. Lots of hill climbing as we went to the top using an access road off of Bouquet Canyon Rd. First off, I am thankful that I did the 4406...
Back