Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 0

Largest tire size

2003 Explorer 4x4 XLT V6. Stock 235/70/16 just don’t fill the wheel well. What is the biggest tire that will fit and not rub?
  2. 0

2003 XLT v6 Oil Drain Plug

Changed the plug out today. The new one looked exactly like the photo posted from AutoZone. The old plug had a flat type white gasket. I’ve reused this plug a few times in the past without any issues. It’s changed out now. Tanks guys for the thoughts!!!
  3. 0

2003 XLT v6 Oil Drain Plug

Noticed that my oil drain plug keeps loosening up after driving for a few hundred miles. I tighten it snug each time but it keeps coming loose. The plug tightens fine and I’m able to remove it for oil changes but why does it keep coming loose? Could the washer be causing this?
  4. 0

2003 XLT Fog Light Bezels

Not the fog lights, the bumper bezels.
  5. 0

2003 XLT Fog Light Bezels

Anyone know how the fog light bezels are connected to the bumper? I thought I saw something about a "quick nut"??? I have some of those laying around as well as the washers that can be pushed on the prongs. What is the best way to remove the old bezel and install the new?
  6. 0

Darn P0442 Code

2003 XLT V6, the 0442 emissions code showed up yesterday. I cleared the code and tightened the gas cap and check the vacuum lines so I'll see if the code returns. Anyone have an idea of what the most common cause for this error is on the 02-05 Explos?
  7. 0

2003 XLT E-Brake

was told by my mechanic today that the cable could be broken at a spot where replacing the whole pedal inside is required. taking in for inspection tomorrow and he says if it's a simple cable exchange he'll do it. if it's the whole pedal, he'll let it slide. was looking dfor videos on changing...
  8. 0

2003 XLT E-Brake

I noticed the e-brake cable is hanging and broke on the drivers side of my XLT. I don't use the e-brake but imagine this needs to be intact for PA inspection. Does anyone know if just the broken cable side can be replaced or does the entire cable, back to front, need replaced?
  9. 0

Still have the ticking after new Tensioners

I replaced both tensioners with Ford Motorcraft tensioners which helped quiet down the initial chain noise at startup. I'm still noticing some ticking but only when the tranny goes in gear! It sounds like something exhaust related. I had both cats replaced recently and they noticed nothing out...
  10. 0

Timing Chain Tensioners

I installed both new tensioners on my 03 XLT and things seemed to have quieted down somewhat. One thing I noticed yesterday that after driving on the highway at speed for the first time since the change-out, once I stopped at a red light once exiting, the rattling noise came back with a...
  11. 0

Timing Chain Tensioners

Going to change out the timing chain tensioners on my 03 4.0l. Just wondering if anyone has any tips? I watched the few Youtube videos that were helpful but still wanted to ask here anyway. It seems that priming these before install is required? Are they harder to reinstall after priming being...
  12. 0

Key fob

back glass
  13. 0

Anyone had their catalytic converters replaced for a decent price?

Had my drivers side replaced by a local ma and pa shop near Pittsburgh for $350.
  14. 0

Tire Wear Inquiry

Guys, I put the Crosswind AT3 tires on and the damn truck has never ridden better! Low tire noise on the road and it sticks and handles great! #350 for a four tire set! I'll take it!
  15. 0

Tire Wear Inquiry

I don't know, guys! The entire front end was rebuilt with all new ****, tires were regularly balanced and rotated, wear is even across the tread - no signs of any edge wear to be found. It's like the truck was just too heavy and wore the rubber away super quick. My driving style is conservative...
  16. 0

Tire Wear Inquiry

All, anyone else have a problem getting more than 20k miles out of a set of tires? I'm already on the fourth set of tires in the last say 6 years. I bought the Falken Wildpeak's this last time as they were said to have a harder rubber that would last longer plus a 55k mile warranty. I have...
  17. 0

Front Strut Lower Bolt 2003 XLT

Guys, I broke the tab off the nut on the lower strut mount on the control arm. This is the tab that holds the nut in place so it doesn't rotate when you're tightening or loosening. I put the bolt back on and was able to use a crecent wrench to hold it against the control arm to tighten. Anyone...
  18. 0

2002-2005 Explorer LCA

Guys, I forgot to mention I broke the bolt plate that holds the lower strut mount nut on the LCA and prevents it from spinning while tightening or loosening. Is this the part that I would need?
  19. 0

2002-2005 Explorer LCA

I tried this repair myself today and I'll give you a hint as to how it went... I live in Pennsylvania!!! Yeah, bolts rusted on and unremovable!!! I did everything to get that front bolt and nut off and nothing worked. That ******* is frozen on there solid! I used heat, massive breaker bars...
  20. 0

2002-2005 Explorer LCA

Anyone here ever have to change out a lower control arm? If so, could you post a "how to" quick reply here to match what I'm going to do below? I have to change out the passenger side arm as the bushings and ball joint are bad. I bought the whole arm from Moog for $90 so instead of having to...
  21. 0

2003 Suspension Question

What would cause the passenger side front area to emit a "creaking" type noise when accelerating hard? I'm thinking bushings as the tie rods and passenger side upper control are were just replaced last weekend. I thought changing these parts (boots were destroyed anyway) would cure the noise but...
  22. 0

2002-2005 Explorer Front Lower Control Arms

Anybody recently change out a lower control arm on a 2002-2005 Explorer? Any write-ups around? I found a video on Youtube for a 2006 that looks as if it should be the same or close to my 2003 setup. I think the bushings are shot on mine plus the darn rust on the arms is pretty bad. Just curious...
  23. 0

2003 XLT Outer Tie Rods

I checked today and see the outer tie rod ends have torn boots for the third time! I ordered two replacements. I also noticed a torn boot on the passenger side upper control arm ball joint. Going to attempt a replacement but ordered the whole arm just in case! Why the frequent torn boots on...
  24. 0

2003 XLT V6 Rattle Noise

My 2003 V6 started what I'll call a slight "rattle" when idling or in gear. I don't hear it when driving only while stationary! It sounds like gears winding. I also get a louder "pop" from what seems like the exhaust. Could all this possible be related to an exhaust manifold being loose...
Back