Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue

Looks like Explorers are not the only ones with Power Steering issues. http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/30/autos/ford-fusion-recalls/index.html?iid=HP_LN
  2. B

Took mine in on a Tuesday and Picked it up the following Monday night. The Diagnosis was on Tuesday, back and forth on who was paying for what on Wednesday, Parts ordered on Thursday, Repaired on Friday. FordService was extremely helpful on our repair.
  3. B

Lift kits for 5th gen. Explorer

Are you looking for a "body lift" style kit? You won't find one because 5th gen explorers are unibody style, not body on frame. Traxda makes a suspension lift kit and a leveling kit. http://traxda.com/ford-lift-and-leveling-kits/ford-explorer/11-15-ford-explorer-lift-kit-102040.html
  4. B

Put another on the list. New steering rack going on ours. Just over 2 years old and 51,000 miles. Nick from FordService got us in touch with the Regional Customer Rep and Ford is making a fair deal on the repair since its out of warranty. I'm happy with the response from Ford, but still...
  5. B

lowering the 2014 explorer

I gotta say, I never felt that this SUV/CUV was too tall or handled poorly for what it is.
  6. B

IVT Request - Sync 3 Upgrade

Not if you have the rear controls turned off via the MFT display. If it's turned off via the display and it takes a dump on you, then it's off. I know my kids had no control of the rear when our MFT took a dump and had to be replaced (rear controls was off when it crapped out). The rear...
  7. B

That helps a lot for the previous 6 year models.:thumbdwn: We can all try to candy coat MFT, but in the end, all of us trying the keep this car for a long time will be left holding the bag at some point. I'm still curious as to what it costs for an APIM and if it's a non dealer...
  8. B

You wil for sure lose heated/cooled seats and access to the rear HVAC controls. I'm pretty sure the only way to turn the rear controls on is in MFT, so I think those would be dead also (maybe if rear control was enabled when MFT goes out, they'll be working).
  9. B

I guess my concern is that I'm realizing that this is not a vehicle for the long haul. Since my APIM went once already that I don't gave much faith in it lasting another 7-10 years without needing to be replaced. The best I can hope for is that it ***** the bed again before the 5year APIM runs...
  10. B

Hopefully, more advanced options like this might come available in the future...
  11. B

Sync 3

Although that is actually do-able. But in this instance, I think the most likely "hack" is going to be someone figuring out how to install Windows Automotive and have OS level access to it.
  12. B

Blackberry QNX to Replace Microsoft

In my old truck, I went from this... To this... That's all I want to be able to do. I guess if I want my technology and infotainment to be up to date, I'll have to stick to my '01 truck. I've posted thus before... It's designed obsolescence. The manufacturers don't want you to be...
  13. B

Sync 3

so that's it then... and the only way to get rid of it is to sell the car since it can't be replaced with an aftermarket unit. I'll stick to my old truck... Better build quality and the aftermarket system still gets updates and does all that the MFT system was supposed to.
  14. B

What I meant us I can't rip it out and replace it. I'm sure Ford can, but I wouldn't get another overpriced Ford unit that they'll support for 3 years or so. No aftermarket company (Pioneer, Kenwood, etc) is going to make something that is a working Nav/infotainment system that will work...
  15. B

It just pisses me off that you can not replace the hardware. Not even with aftermarket. Honestly, I'd be ok if I could rip it out when it gets even more obsolete and put an updated system in. Don't think that not being able to rip it out and replace it is not by design.
  16. B

Sync 3

I hope that I gave to eat my words, but other than minor bug fixes and more outdated maps, I'm pretty sure it is what it is and no new features will ever be had in the current MFT system. It's Engineered Obsolessance. They used to be able to get away with selling a car that was ready for the...
  17. B

Engine Light On - Dealer wants to do "smoke test"

Never had it done, but I'd be curious to see what codes the computer is holding for the CEL
  18. B

Must pay to sell?

That's pretty sad. I consider this a pretty low volume forum... Well, at least the Gen 5 part, since that's all I look at. I find this site to be a bit slow... The Fusion Forums must have tumbleweeds a rolling through. If you want to see some active forums, check out some of the Diesel...
  19. B

Moonroof Issue

I don't understan why vehicles don't have a manual override to shut a moonroof. My '81 Honda Prelude had a concealed spot in the roof you could uncover and put an Allen wrench in to turn that would close the top in case it got stuck open.
  20. B

Debut of 2016 Explorer

The "Expanded Metal"-look grill is awful. No need to replace my '13
  21. B

Tow package question

the Ford branded dealer add-on will be hidden, but will be rated at less than 5000lbs on the sticker on the hitch.
  22. B

Tow package question

Look for the Duct Work under the Engine for the Aux Oil Cooler. there's an opening for it in the passenger side of the front air dam. this only came on Sports or Tow Pack equipped Tow/Haul button on dash Also, the decal on the hitch will say 5000lbs, not 3500lbs or anything else.. but...
  23. B

Parking large vehicle in small garage

Hang a ping pong ball on a string from the ceiling in a place that can be easily lined up and aimed at when parking. Center of the steering wheel against the windshield maybe?
  24. B

BLIS almost worthless

I'd advise anyone to not use BLIS as a definitive answer as to whether it's OK to change lanes or not. You still need to look in the mirror.. it's not a mirror replacement. If the BLIS LED is lit, I don't pull over and still look in the mirror. If it's not lit, I still do a mirror check to make...
  25. B

PTU Problems

I'm at 42,000 with no issue from it since the repair early on in my Explorer's life. Extended Warranty's are a gamble. I'd just as well take the money for the warranty and put it in some safe investment and hope to never use it for the car.
Back