Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Thumping coming from front driver side

Outer tie rod had too much play so I replaced it. Ball joints seemed fine when the tire was moved back and forth. Problem is still occurring. I also didn’t mention that it’s a “rolling” sound. So it happens in a synchronized way.
  2. B

Good points. I was planning to look at it today. Will update as soon as I get in there. Thanks!
  3. B

Ball joints look like they were replaced before I got the car. Sway bar end links were completely disconnected from rust when I got the car as well and I had to replace them. If the tie rods were bad, wouldn’t my alignment be off?
  4. B

After the curb ordeal, four new tires were installed. What would cause them to warp so soon? Could I just switch the wheel with one from the back to see if that’s the problem?
  5. B

Hey guys, I have a 2004 Ford Explorer V8 with AWD. There’s a thud-thud-thud sound coming from the driver side front tire when going 20+ mph and worsens when turning left and quiets when turning right. Recently the wheel hub assembly completely broke into two pieces. I’ve since replaced the...
  6. B

Back for a visit - Tranny Swap

Any ideas guys? I need to find a place I can buy check pucks and if I should soak the gaskets/bands in trans fluid too
  7. B

I appreciate the replies fellas. Here's an update: I went to a junk yard to buy a used trans, which I had to pull. I had 4 jack stands and a hydraulic jack and it wasn't on stable ground. (It had rained days prior and was a muddy area) Ultimately, the jack stands all collapsed so I decided to...
  8. B

Well you guys, I figured I'd come ask you a few questions. I haven't been on here in a while (a good thing, means my car hasn't exploded). As you can denote from the title, I need to swap my transmission. I've read articles on here and looked in the tranny section but none of them really...
  9. B

How do you know if your catalytic converters starting to bite the dust?

My muffler had a leak, I know cats are usually for NOX. I can't recall the code because once I replaced the sensor the light went away once I reset it with the battery. It's a v6 SOHC. I can't remember what the sensors called, but I know it deals with the fuel lines in the front. Bolted on...
  10. B

Well I don't have an exhaust leak that I know of, but I do have/had a check engine light code. I had one pop up and I can't recall what the code was but I know it was fuel/emissions. I replaced a sensor just behind the front bumper in front of the driver side wheel, unplugged my battery, and...
  11. B

2000 4.0 SOHC mild knock heard underneath

i think we might have a similar problem. is it closer to the drivers side? i've considered a bad catalytic converter
  12. B

No smells, just a distinguished rattle. Enough to scare away anybody who'd want to buy. Already had a muffler needing replaced for inspection, unfortunately, im a jack of all trades minus welding. If it is the cause I'm probably gonna just buy a torch from the auto store and do my worst. I...
  13. B

I've been really attentive to sounds from my beauty and I've noticed a sound from underneath i believe underneath the drivers side. Sometimes it would shake the car so I assumed it was the rubber hangers holding the exhaust going bad. Replaced the hangars, and the shake is gone as far as Ive...
  14. B

Driver's side front squeal

Alright guys I'm back. Finally got a chance to go in there. Bought a can of brake quiet and sprayed a generous coating, but I never compressed the caliper when I put them back so I kind of slid it through the coating possibly removing some I'm not sure. It quieted the squeak but it was still...
  15. B

Define contaminating the pads? How would the protective coating render any damage to the pads? I figured the high heat and friction from braking would take it off. (Of course following the new pads/rotor break-in procedure) I have put new rotors on my mothers car but I didn't bother taking it...
  16. B

I kept my old rotors, I've never read up on brake quiet so that's good to know. Ill pick some up before I tear everything apart. If I did decide to get new rotors wouldn't the distributor remove it before selling? Won't it just come off naturally after braking anyway?
  17. B

When I went under I took tire and caliper off I didn't look at it from the outside. One question about the anti squeal, do you actually out I on the pad? I've always had this OCD about avoiding any grease-like liquid on the rotors. On a side note, I was braking today and noticed a significant...
  18. B

But I've had the pads for a few months, would they still take a return? I keep all my receipts to the auto store so I know I have it. I'll get back under there on my day off and see if anythings bent. I just want to prevent any potential danger.
  19. B

I went in there to inspect a few days ago, nothing seems to be stuck between the pads. The groove in the rotor is on the outside that you can readily see without taking it off. When I installed the brake pads I lubricated the slider pins. It might be the caliper mounting bracket because I...
  20. B

When I start driving, a squeal on the front drivers side tire starts to initiate around 35 mph. The faster I go, the faster the squeal which I think means it's metal on metal contact. I changed my brake pads around 10k? miles ago, put on new shocks and sway bar bushings around 2-4k miles ago...
  21. B

Air Conditioning Problem

Ill get to it sometime tomorrow maybe, changing the o2 sensors on my grandpaps truck. Im the family mechanic haha
  22. B

Air Conditioning Problem

Just make sure the lines are all connected? Everything's good under the glove box, red, white, black, etc etc wires are all connected. I did feel the vacuum ball though, but I didn't check anything.
  23. B

Air Conditioning Problem

What's the best way to check it out? Preferably the method with least removal.
  24. B

Air Conditioning Problem

My moms 98 explorer v6 SOHC sport ac vents in the front went out. The rear ones and the defrost work fine. I figured maybe it'd be the blower motor so I replaced it and they're still not blowing. I read some article about taking out the glove box and looking in to find some broken plastic piece...
Back