Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Debating getting rid of my Explorer :/

Interesting about the plug potentially being under the carpet. Can anyone confirm that? That would make it much easier to swap in a power seat and not have to mess with much. Interesting about the 6R in your truck. Just when you think Ford has a decent thing going... Mine has the intake...
  2. A

I forgot about the GX. That’s a good point about those. They are rock solid in reliability. I like the look of the 4th gens and like you said, the 3v and 6r seem like a good combo. Plus the 3rd row seat doesn’t hurt either. That would ultimately be my first choice. I think I’ll end up...
  3. A

Yeah, I really like the 4th gens because they’re still fairly small like the 2nd gens. I know hey have the spark plug issue and I think some transmission issues, however the 4.6 3v is a great engine and would be awesome to have. I think the truck like ride wouldn’t be so bad if the seats in...
  4. A

Yeah, there are a couple around me with ~100k for like $3500 which I think is pretty good. Just unsure if I want to stick with the 2nd gen because of the ride quality and other stuff. I prefer cars from the early 2000s because they had enough technology to give them decent power and fuel economy...
  5. A

My wife and I used to use the Explorer to haul the kids (3 kids under 5 years) and it worked ok. However whenever we had someone come from out of town to visit we didn’t have any room. So we made the jump and bought an older minivan which has been excellent for us. We have the explorer which is...
  6. A

Wondering if my misfire is just the intake gaskets

I found a gasket kit that comes with everything including the injector O rings, throttle body gasket, IACV gasket, and all the others. I had planned to take the lower manifold off and do most everything up from there, and I'll surely clean out the injector ports as you suggest. Hopefully after...
  7. A

Yes, lots of dirt down around that area. Well cool then, cause my valve cover gaskets have a slight leak as well so it'll be a good time to go through and do them all. Thank you.
  8. A

5r55e transmission problems

Did you male sure to line up the valve that slips over the gear shifter inside the valve body? It's a silver shaft with two or three larger round parts on the end. I put my VB back in one time and forgot to line that up and had the same problem.
  9. A

2000 Explorer 4.0 OHV 167,000 miles. Engine has always been dead reliable and taken care of. (The 5R55E is a different story and has been fixed thanks to this forum). We don't tow or do anything strenuous with the vehicle, it just hauls the family around mainly. I got a misfire a month or so...
  10. A

P0741 8 years after trans rebuild to fix 2-3 flare.

2000 Explorer 4.0 OHV 5R55E In 2010 my Explorer had 120k and had the 2-3 flare. I had a friend of mine who works at a trans shop help me rebuild it before I sorted through the Valve Body Rebuild diary on this forum. After a remain TC and new soft parts inside the trans didn't fix it, I read on...
  11. A

How to: 5R55E Valve Body Rebuild Diary

Just thought everyone should know that I fixed my problem with a rebuilt Valve Body from Donny at CVB. Price was $250 shipped with the explorerforum discount and I couldn't be happier. ADVICE TO ANYONE DEALING WITH A GOOFY 5R55E: Start with a rebuilt unti from CVB. I started off with...
  12. A

I've tried it all to fix my 2-3 flare..nothings worked!

I finally broke down and bought a rebuilt Valve Body from Central Valve Bodies. All problems went away and the thing drove amazingly well. my price was $249.17 after the explorerforum.com discount. Highly recommend if you're having shifting problems to drop one of those Valve Bodies in...
  13. A

5r55e p0732 & p0735

Well the trans was gone through and the hard parts were all still good to use, plus this problem didn't happen before I put on a used valve body to see if it would fix my flare, which it did. But now it has this new problem so im thinking its something to do with this new vb. I didn't swap...
  14. A

5r55e p0732 & p0735

Well, I got both new servos installed and the bands adjusted properly and no change. Still no overdrive on the freeway and the light came on. I had a few good solenoids lying around so I swapped them all out, still no change. ANYBODY have any ideas??
  15. A

5r55e p0732 & p0735

I was kind of thinking it was a servo/band issue. I have a new OD servo coming tomorrow morning from Ford, so I'll swap that out and reset my band adjustment and hope for the best I suppose. Thanks.
  16. A

5r55e p0732 & p0735

Hey all, Ive been fighting a 2-3 flare and swapped valve bodies with a used one I got from a local trans shop to see if the vb itself would make any difference. Well, the 2-3 shift flare is gone it seems (at least so far) but a new problem arose. I never really test drove the truck on the...
  17. A

Alright good news and bad. Good news is the 2-3 flare went away when I installed the used vb! I was very excited for that. Now theres a new problem. It feels like it stays in 1st gear for a little too long before shifting somewhat firm. I think this is due to the increase in pressure I made...
  18. A

Yes I most certainly will follow up and let everyone know what does it for me. If this used valve body doesn't fix or change my problem then the next and final place I know to look at it the Intermediate and Overdrive Servos. I pulled them out to inspect and the rubber wasn't hard or...
  19. A

Yeah I have seen that and I was pretty interested in trying it. I got a used VB with all solenoids to see if it makes a difference, so I'm going to turn the EPC up on the used VB and see if it helps any. Im kind of excited to find out! Thanks.
  20. A

How can I move this thread to the transmissions section?
  21. A

Haha yeah I adjusted the bands, once before it was out and again after the rebuild. I plan to pull the VB this weekend and check the bored on the 2 and 3 shift valves. Other than doing that, I'm lost!
  22. A

I hear that, this problem got old quick after I failed to fix it the first time. Now Ive gone too deep into it that I can't turn back and sell it with a problem. Now I'm determined to fix it (hopefully without having to drop ANOTHER $300 on a Central Valve Body)
  23. A

I posted my question at the end of the Diary, but I feel like I could possibly get more help if I started a new thread. I don't mean to double-post, I just am interested in finding some more opinions on my problem. So, I had a 2-3 flare in my 2000 Explorer 4.0 OHV 4x4 with 115k. First time...
  24. A

Hmm interesting, couldn't hurt to check it out. Thanks for the info!
  25. A

Has anyone ever had the speed sensor in the rear diff go bad and cause an issue like this? I pulled mine out of the rear diff and cleaned it off (there was some metal shavings on it) and was going to ohm it out but i wasn't sure what it should be at or what setting on the multi-meter to use...
Back