Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

PTU Problems

I've had bad luck and practically live at my dealer as well. My visit is on average every 3,400km. I have 96,000km and going on $13,000 in repairs. 4 big repairs were $2000 ea, Also 2 separate body shop jobs to repair premature rust on the inside of the doors (which the paint is bubbling and...
  2. M

Just bought 2015 sport, loss of power

No, I decided not to pursue this because I wouldn't qualify anyway as all my repairs and issue's were honored under warranty so I'm really not out of pocket and $$$$ yet other than my time and headache of practically living at the dealership. Currently I need a steering rack (major annoying...
  3. M

Agree, I really did like the vehicle. It looks sharp, handles really nice, a heck tonne of power in my 3.5 ecoboost, lots of room, interior is laid out well. But, the reliability has been ridiculous and who knows the long term reliability. I have a coworker with the Taurus with same 3.5 ecoboost...
  4. M

No, I do my oil changes anytime between 0-25% left on the oil life monitor. What I'm saying is I've always been in that 0-25% oil life window during one repair or another so since it's up on the hoist anyway do and oil change even though I may still have lets say 15% left...I don't want to come...
  5. M

Here is a screen shot of my vehicles car proof report. I visit my dealer on average every 1800miles (3000km). Oh, and "all" of these service dates are not regular maintenance like oil changes, They are repairs! because since I'm there so often if I'm due for that oil change I get that done while...
  6. M

So, I did not spend that money myself. All the repairs were under warranty. I'm getting rid of the vehicle because of my concern on long term reliability. Every time I had a problem I had the service person show me on their screen the parts cost and labor time for the job so I could keep a log...
  7. M

Paint Issues - Non Hood

My paint issues: 2 separate body work jobs costing 1K each (under warranty luckily because I caught it under 60K KM. 1. All the bottom edges of my 4 doors, paint wore off down to the bare metal. Because the doors flex in the door frame and because of poor fit the plastic rocker panel along the...
  8. M

I had a situation where my turbo's were not engaging right away or cutting in and out when I applied the power (like sputtering). It tuned out to be a split vacuum hose that went into the throttle body. On another note. I'm trading in my POS for the new redesigned Chevy Traverse when it comes...
  9. M

2017 Ford Explorer Sport issues already

See my recent post "Lemon Law? List of my problems". My 2014 sport has been a disaster since day one. I also had that annoying door hinge issue you have...and a whole list of other major problems including 4 repair jobs each amounting to $2000ea. My advise. Go back to your dealer and buy the...
  10. M

Lemon Law? List of my problems so far.

Always done the regular service intervals at Ford dealer. The creaking wasn't something minor coming from an unlubricated hinge. This was coming from "inside" the door. There is some sort of mechanism inside the door which offers resistance on the center arm between the hinges. It holds the door...
  11. M

Turboboost on 2.0 Explorer needs to be replaced (underboost)

Since you are only slightly out of warranty I would put in a case with Ford. Normally manufacturers have an unwritten grace period were they at their discretion may offer you some prorated partial coverage. I had a coworker need both turbos on his Taurus (same engine) replaced at 120,000km. In...
  12. M

Lemon Law? List of my problems so far.

Curious what constitutes lemon law in Canada and if my vehicle would qualify. Here is a list of my problems. Vehicle is a 2014 Explore Sport with 3.5 Ecoboost. Has 91000K KM ((56K Miles) & 3.5yrs old. I'll include approx mileage and the repair costs...the ones that I'm now keeping track of and...
  13. M

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Found this youtube video illustrating the water pump location, how it connects into the engine and how much work it is to get to it. It's for a 3.5L older model edge but basically the same engine.
  14. M

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

My 2014 Explorer sport was in the shop for 2 days this week for the water pump replacement. Vehicle has 88,000km on it. The symptoms I had was little to no heat while at idle (say at a stop light). At idle you could squeeze the upper rad hose which had no pressure in it. The water pump is in the...
  15. M

Bottom Door Edge Issue??

I officially made my warranty claim to ford at exactly 60,347km (warranty expires at 60,000)....literally 347km over and Ford DENIED my claim!!!! Body shop at the dealer is now going through the process with Ford to come to a compromise...In these cases sometimes they agree to cover X...
  16. M

2014 Sport Engine Hesitation/Stumble

The symptoms described. I've been there done that on this similar issue: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=428219 My final entry: I'm happy to report the dealer found the problem. It was a cracked vacuum hose at the throttle body. Work order says: VACCUM LEAK AT TCBY...
  17. M

Bottom Door Edge Issue??

I've got the same problem all 4 doors. They have strips worn right down to the bare metal. Some worst than others.
  18. M

3.5 Ecoboost slow engine warmup

Does anybody know the location of the thermostat and procedure to replace it on the 3.5L ecoboost. Or aware of a youtube repair video or something. Normally these things are easy and matter of removing a hose and clamp then a couple bolts but engines these days are so complicated and packed...
  19. M

Dude, whats with pointing fingers and accusing of placing "blame" on Ford if something goes wrong. And you're way off in predicting there will be major engine failure without addressing this issue. 1. The engine reaches normal operating temperature and runs fine. In warm weather the gage gets...
  20. M

A7 navigation map for SYNC 2 released

From what I have read is that the "unlocking Mechanism" is not associated with the memory card but that your vehicle/touchscreen has been unlocked at the factory when you ordered the Nav option. In other words if you had 2 Ford vehicles, yours has nav, your wife's doesn't. You can't just take...
  21. M

A7 navigation map for SYNC 2 released

"Buy" this update. NONSENSE! I recall when I purchased my Explorer the Nav was a $900 option. These maps should be "Free" "Lifetime" upgrades from Ford. I'll wait for the FREE pirated software file and fix!!!
  22. M

Buying a 2012 Explorer - Nervous about MFT Issues (please advise)

It's fine! there were issues in the beginning back in 2011 but they have had numerous updates since then. There is another big update (ver 2.8) as recent as Dec 18 2015, less than a month ago. You can download from syncmyride.com copy on a USB stick plug into your vehicle and update yourself...
  23. M

Sync 3

I just had a rental 2016 Edge for 6 days while my exsport was in the shop. I didn't notice anything innovative of slick about this new sync3. Just another basics interface. In fact, I found it less intuitive than the one in my 2014 exsport and as I said, I had it for 6 full days and I drive out...
  24. M

PTU Problems

Transfer Case "Seap", "Sip", Leak? To those who might be mechanics and know this definition. The last time I had my Exsport in for service the service manager said the tech discovered a "Seap" on the gasket on the transfer case. He explained it "wasn't" a leak...but a "Seap"...basically a wet...
  25. M

Thanks for all your feedback members. I guess my main question to anybody here is the following. On the coldest of days (below freezing) Have you ever watched your temperature gauge "increase" as you drive and the engine gets warmer and warmer, and then all of a sudden, before the gauge even...
Back