Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Owners of X's with 31x10.50 tires with NO LIFTs

Recalibrate PCM after Oversized Tires Well, I drove my 1998 Explorer for about 2.5 years on the 31" tires without having changed the speedometer (or gears). It was all OK, but it was slower acceleration, and I could tell the transmission had to work a little harder...it would chug longer...
  2. P

my limited

Always nice pics! Good to see a bit of Alaska in the background now, too!
  3. P

Changing Center console in my 2000 XLS

Exchanging Centre Console - Done! I was in exact same situation. I have a 1998 Explorer, your 2000 might be the similar body/style, I don't know, but I have complete pics of the complete process. But I did not install it myself, I had the Ford dealership (autobody dept) put it in. Have a...
  4. P

my limited

Nice pics, thanks for sharing. Such a nice looking vehicle, I'd be afraid to take into dangerous & dirty places! But snow is better than mud. Is the right side of your rear bumper slightly lower than the left? Maybe it's just the angle of the photos. These are 31" 10.50 tires, right? Mine are...
  5. P

Im Back - Steve's new Explorer

31.6" for your LT265 70 R16 ... that is bigger than the 31" 10.50 R15 which is 30.8" I believe. I have P265 70 R17 on my Expedition EB and those are 31.7" I think so I would try to put them on my Explorer...would probably rub since I only have 1" clearance now. No, I never heard of 31 10.5 R16...
  6. P

Armando's 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer

Estate Green Eddie Bauer ****...I'm still trying to get used to these "newer" generation Explorers ... I don't like the low clearance they have...but this Estate Green EB that you have is absolutely beautiful! I have an Expedition Eddie Bauer with same colour/trim as your Explorer ...
  7. P

my new to me '01 explorer

Very nice Explorer! Are there two different styles/models of the year 2001? Yours is the "older" style (like my 1998 Explorer) and I like it the best. And your tan interior looks good too. Some of the tan interiors look too dark, but yours looks like a light tan. Vincent...
  8. P

Im Back - Steve's new Explorer

Tan versus Gray? Me too, I always preferred the grey more than the tan interior. I have grey in my Explorer, but I have an Expedition EB that has a tan interior ... so I no longer would agree that TAN should not be an interior colour. But the Expedition interior tan seems like a very light...
  9. P

my limited

Nice Improvement on 96Limited! Hey, good to see you back again...I remember long while back you had the lift with the smaller tires...the 31" tires really do look much better now! Nice pics, thanks for sharing! www.pacificislandsinfo.com/xplorer/explorer.htm Vincent taori@tvds.net ...
  10. P

31x10.5 with no lift?

My 31 x 10.50 on 7" Rim do not rub Hey there, for what it's worth, here is another example, my 1998 XL with 7" rims now has 31" x10.50 (GoodYear ATS) on it, and at its tightest spot still has at least 1" clearance from rubbing. Check out some close-up pics of these tires--viewed straight on...
  11. P

Console Replacement - Interchangeable?

I'm not qualified to help you, sorry. All I did to try to find the right console type was to look in other Explorers of my year and 1 or 2 years earlier. I just eyeballed it, and really believed it would fit. I then asked here and got what seem quite accurate information--which did turn out...
  12. P

Oversized Tires for Expedition EB?

Wow, that was a FAST reply! ATS suck? Really? How? I've been happy with mine. The reason I bought them was for very good snow traction (without going to a snow tire). I will check out the MT/R that you mentioned. I don't want a tire too loud, but I do want serious traction. P.S...
  13. P

Oversized Tires for Expedition EB?

I bought a 2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 that has stock P265 70 R17 ... I put 31" x 10.50 R15 on my Explorer, happy with that (no lift), and wondering if I can oversize the Expedition tires about 1 inch more (don't want a lift though). Any ideas on what tire size? I plan to go with GoodYear...
  14. P

OK, it's done! I finally got around to getting my full-length console (from an XLT) put into my XL ... I didn't do it myself, but got Ford (dealership) to do it at the same time when I needed them to do minor autobody repair. Cost me $100 CAD but it was worth it. It fits perfectly, but I did...
  15. P

Witchdoctor, thanks for the info. So the two dash holes should be there, and the two holes under the Type B cupholder location, but the two REAR holes of Type B console won't be on the floor of my XL? A bit of a surprise to me. I expected the floor mounting holes (all of them) to be there, but...
  16. P

Centre Console - Photos OK, I now have photographed every angle of this new premium full-length centre floor console that I pulled from an XLT ... and wonder about the TWO NAIL HOLES that are in the dash of the XLT ... these match two big nails that extend from the console. I wonder, if I pull...
  17. P

Center Console Armrest

Centre Console - Swap for Better! Mr Plow, I have the same problem. Scrapyard probably best choice & cost. I found a premium full-length centre floor console at a junkyard for $100 CAD...in excellent clean condition. As you see from other replies above, if you replace with the same stupidly...
  18. P

Info: Fuel Octane 101

Pings in Hotter weather Well, some very good information here. I used to study chemistry, and I remember this subject did come up briefly, about octane cracking and such...but I forget it all now. Anyway, just to add my own situation, what I have observed is that when I use octane 92, it is a...
  19. P

I haven't checked with Ford dealership...but I'm sure they want too much...and they'll see me coming...and they'll start making up a lot of reasons why it's going to cost so much...starting with the fact that they see I want this delux (Type B) console to replace my cheapy Type A console. Then...
  20. P

Jeff, thanks again...I will probably wait a long while yet for the bumper change...too many other projects on the go. For now, I just have to get this console put in. Is there any manual that I could get to help me put it in myself? I wouldn't feel too comfortable playing with electric...
  21. P

Thanks for the speedy reply Jeff. This is encouraging! Thanks for the advice too...I will go back to the auto-wrecker to get the heater block to attach up to it, and the floor tracks. I didn't think I would need to take the floor tracks because I thought I could bolt the Type B console onto...
  22. P

The middle console in my 1998 XL 4-door is the type that has a diving board lever top (I'll refer to it as "Type A" console). A very stupid engineering marvel, because it was designed to break with the repeated weight of your arm resting on it. Yes, it did eventually snap right off, leaving a...
  23. P

looking to get a explorer

98 X, 4-door, 4x4, V-6 4.0L Mine is 1998, V-6 EFI (not the SOHC), 110,000 km on it, been reasonably lucky so far. The ride is smooth, even over curbs & bumps...barely a rattle in it, drives like I bought it yesterday. Overall, it seems like it hasn't aged EXCEPT here has been my bad luck...and...
  24. P

Lee S, There now, see? I knew someone would come to our rescue!! So forget about gears and just get the nice tires. As for GoodYear's RTS or ATS, the RTS were a bit quieter, but these ATS grip into the snow about 5 times better (or better traction on any surface) so I prefer ATS for...
  25. P

I know that GY has 30x9.50 R15 ... so it is 9.5 inches wide instead of 10.5" wide. The rolling diameter on this tire is 29.8" whereas the 31"x10.50 R15 has rolling diameter of 30.8" (1 inch difference). I would still go with the larger tire, and just see how your vehicle drives...but be...
Back