Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

'02 4x4 EB 4.0L advice

Update: A friend offered $1500 for the Explorer so we went ahead and sold it. Really need something a bit bigger like an Expedition, so the time was right to go ahead and let it go. Thanks for the replies.
  2. C

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

Our '02 Explorer trans finally bit the dust at 218k. The trans was original, never been overhauled or replaced. Decided to go ahead an sell it to a friend that has a used car business. The Explorer was still drivable, even though the O/D off light was flashing and came up with a 'CHECK...
  3. C

'02 4x4 EB 4.0L advice

Have an '02 Explorer 4x4 EB with the 4.0L that my wife and I bought new. It ceased to be a daily driver about 2 years ago and is only used as a 3rd vehicle for hauling things and mostly short trips, for Scouting and stuff. It has 218k miles on it and we never had any major issues. On startup...
  4. C

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

'02 EB 4x4, bought new, was daily driven up until about 18 months ago. 218k miles, original engine/trans never been out or repaired. Only service ever done to engine was replace t-stat/housing, spark plugs at 100k intervals, spark plug wires at 150k and then the normal stuff like oil/oil...
  5. C

Questions Regarding Benefits of Air Box Mod / Silencer Removal?

When we got our '02 new, I bought a MAC cold air intake for it, with the only reason being that I hoped it might help the mpg a little. I don't remember if it saved much, but there are 2 things I remember about it... 1) The acceleration felt just a touch more zippy, 2) It was very loud at idle...
  6. C

general PCV/breather question

I just changed the PCV on the '02 with 213k miles. This was my wife's daily driver up until recently. I didn't even know it had a PCV until I read something here and ordered a new one. Mine was still rattling, but could tell it was sticky. The motor seems to idle smoother now. Didn't notice...
  7. C

Rear parking brake shoes. Seriously.

Mine had the material separate from the shoes at about 150k miles. They were rattling around inside the rotor.
  8. C

MPG v6 vs v8

My '02 4x4 4.0L with towing package (class 3 hitch) averages about 16mpg overall. Usually gets around 20 or so on the highway.
  9. C

Random single "pop" while braking

Do you feel it in the steering wheel also? Could be something like suspension or a sway bar mount/bushing.
  10. C

Battery BXT 65 650 vs 65 850

The difference is most likely the cold cranking amps, which is part of the number... 650/850. Higher cold cranking amps would be better in cold environments. If you live in a moderate climate area, probably fine to get the 650. The original battery in my '02 lasted about 7/8 years.
  11. C

Rear parking brake shoes. Seriously.

I've done these before and they are a pain without removing the hub. I ended up attaching the spring to the 2 shoes, put the tops in place and then spread the shoes out. It was damn near impossible to get the spring on when the shoes were installed.
  12. C

intermittent misfire cyl 4/5/6

A bad t-stat can run the motor too cool and cause the O2 sensor(s) to foul out. Temp gauge should be reading about dead in the middle when at full operating temp. Guess the t-stat sticks open on these engines when it goes bad.
  13. C

02 Eddie Bauer, what's it worth?

I have the same vehicle, mine has 213k miles, my wife and I bought it new. A friend of mine that sells used cars says I would be lucky to get $2500 for it if I tried to sell. When my wife recently bought a new car, we decided to just keep the Explorer, especially since it's a 4x4 and would be...
  14. C

'02 4x4 officially occasional use vehicle!

Well, after 11 years of daily use and 213k miles, my wife bought a new '13 Fusion Hybrid this week. Our Explorer is still running and driving, although for the first time last week, the O/D off light was blinking and 'Check Transmission' message appeared on the dash. She drove it for 5 more...
  15. C

Check Engine Light issues and rough idle

What is the engine coolant temperature gauge showing? If it's less than halfway when at operating temps, you probably have a bad t-stat. Had the same symptoms on an '02 EB 4x4, popped in a t-stat for about $10 and problem fixed.
  16. C

Window Sticker Acquisition

Have the original window sticker for our '02 if there is something you would like to see?
  17. C

leak in drain line for sunroof

It will help the hose to stay in place by installing a zip tie around the hose once re-attached to the nipple.
  18. C

high pitched squeal- e brake???

Had the lining separate from the parking brake shoes on an '02. Was kind of a pain to replace, but not bad. Was ridiculous how much Ford wanted for the shoes though. Got them at Advance Auto for around $20.
  19. C

Strange sound while accelerating

Had some strange sounds like this once when a tire store put new tires on and one of them did not match the other 3. Guess it is something to do with the auto 4x4 system. They replaced the tire and the sound went away. I would describe the sound on ours as like a helicopter flying over the car!
  20. C

Vibration Issue

This problem was solved on my wife's Explorer by adding the friction modifier. Been so long since it was fixed that forgot what it was like. Ours has towing package and class III hitch, so assume that it has a limited slip rear.
  21. C

Airbag Light (LFC 33)

The airbag light on my wife's '02 Explorer only comes on when I drive it and put the seat all the way back. It only does this once in a while, always assumed it was a connector, but since it does not come on when she drives, have not messed with it.
Back