Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

fan clutch torque specs

Thank you very much for the spec and the torque sheet!
  2. B

misfires, tapping noise, camshaft position sensor

Turns out the one of the new lifters was bad. Put in the old ones back in and the noise stopped.
  3. B

fan clutch torque specs

Hello All, I am replacing the fan clutch in my job 1 Sport Trac. I have all of the torque specs except for the fan clutch. Do any of you know the torque for the fan clutch nut? Thanks!
  4. B

Possible rattle between 2500-3000 rpm???

Here is 2000STREETROD's excellent thread on replacing the primary chain tensioner. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2509603
  5. B

That would be great, thanks! I am particularly worried about how to reseal the front of the oil pan. Since it is only the primary chain tensioner and I don't have to worry about the timing I would like to try replacing it.
  6. B

I am jealous - I hope that he does it for you! That would be awesome.
  7. B

Thanks for the great picture of the primary chain tensioner. Replacing that is my summer project. I searched through all of the tensioner posts and was wondering if there was one for replacing just this tensioner. Do you know of one? Thanks!
  8. B

misfires, tapping noise, camshaft position sensor

Hello All - I put new heads, pushrods, rocker arms and a new camshaft synchronizer on my 4.0 ohv. I am getting cylinder misfire codes and a code that the engine is running rich, and a metallic tapping sound from the engine. I took off the valve covers and took off the rocker arms and...
  9. B

Camshaft

Hello All, Looks like I need a new camshaft. I searched through the forums and it looks like the camshaft can be replaced while the engine is in the truck. I have a 1999 v6 ohv Explorer Sport. Have any of you done this? Any hints? Is it true that the timing cover can come off without the...
  10. B

Shock disaster

Did you use any penetrating oil? I was able to remove mine after I had sprayed the bolts/nuts with penetrating oil and had let them sit overnight before trying to remove them. I have had good luck with PB Blaster and Kroil.
  11. B

Armrest Replacement Question

The ebay one does not appear in the photos to have the part that mounts to the console. You would have to contact the ebay seller to see how the arm rest connects to the hinge. I only bought the complete assemblies at the junkyards so I do not know how the arm connect to the hinge. swshawaii's...
  12. B

I know how you feel. It is confusing at first. In your posted picture do you see where the oval plugs are on the back on the sides? Just carefully pry those out. You will see 2 bolts on each side. Unscrew those and you will be able to pull out the hinge. The arm and hinge unit are one piece.
  13. B

My 99 Sport and 01 Sport Trac console arms broke just like that. I discovered quite by accident that the hinged arm rest unit on the Explorers going back to the mid 90's would drop right in to the existing console. I removed the plastic plugs at the back and took out the 4 bolts. The hinged part...
  14. B

Back again...Best serpentine belt?

I have had good luck with the oem belt. I second replacing the tensioner at the same time.
  15. B

Truck never gets HOT even in Summer. Low heat

Excellent - and your motor will be much happier too! What brand of thermostat did you go with?
  16. B

I do not know. I bought the oem one for the ohv engine. Rockauto lists the temperatures for their thermostats on the website.
  17. B

Thermostat? How old is the thermostat? When my 99 Sport would not heat up a new Motorcraft thermostat fixed that problem.
  18. B

Camshaft Syncronizer replacement

Is it the 0401 code? I had the 0401 code pop up in my old Ranger and Explorer. Both times a new Motorcraft DPFE and hoses fixed the problem. RockAuto has both. Here is some more info. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164517
  19. B

ticking noise after 1999 4.0 ohv rebuild

I may have the answer I used aftermarket heads that have more metal in the pushrod area and used bigger diameter (Sealed Power) aftermarket pushrods. I talked to Delta Cam about the noise and they suggested it sounds like a clearance issue between the head and the pushrods. I turned the engine...
  20. B

Camshaft Syncronizer replacement

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this subject and on how to do it. The part about putting the pointer at 0 degrees is hard to find and I appreciate that it was posted by Turdle. When I redid mine on my 1999 ohv last summer I did not know that TDC meant not only should the piston be at the...
  21. B

Rough ride, rear end "walk out"

That's good to know about the Firestones. My '99 still has the Goodyears and are about worn out.
  22. B

Me too. I love rock auto. Front and rear links and front bushings Moog. Rear bushings original Ford. Could not find Moogs for the rear.
  23. B

Where is the HVAC resistor???

That is why I love these forums! People sharing their knowledge. "That's the sign for any DC motor that the brushes are worn down to the point that they are barely making contact with the collector. Shocks will sometimes help them move the extra 1/64th inch needed, but after a while even that...
  24. B

Bushings and links If I am reading your post correctly you have never replaced the bushings for the front or rear sway bar or the sway bar links. I highly recommend replacing them even if they look ok. When I bought my 2001 Sport Trac earlier this year with 127,000 miles I was getting a side to...
  25. B

Where is the HVAC resistor???

Blower resister You may want to pop in a new blower motor at the same time. From what I have read as the motors age and the bearings get old they may overheat the resistors. I just put a tyc blower motor in my sport trac for about $40. I replaced the resistor at the same time as a preventative...
Back