Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Overheating

Non return from res can also be caused by a bad radiator cap.
  2. D

Just Bought - Couple questions

And keep an eye on your coolant level the first set of heads in my 91 cracked around 175K.
  3. D

Electrical Problem, dead battery

I have a 04 X Eddie B with 80K, and a year old Optima red top. 2 weeks ago a got a wa-wa after not driving it for a couple weeks. I have found there is a 0.26A draw until I pull fuse 2. My owners manual show F2 as BSM. Do you know if mine also controls Power Seat Switch Left, Autolamp (sunload...
  4. D

E-Brake Stuck on for 40 miles...smoke

Thanks chefduane I'll do that. cv boot and outside of drum look normal (for 10 yrs in MN) I've read so many post about the wheel bearings in this gen, that I was worried.
  5. D

E-Brake Stuck on for 40 miles...smoke

Yesterday I towed a 6x8 covered trailer. It felt like I was pulling a parachute but I seldom drive this truck so I thought it was just the trailer. After 40 miles of highway I noticed smoke coming out of the exploder's right rear. My e-brake hasn't worked well in years it just needed adjustment...
  6. D

Removing sun visor. Rattle in sunroof help.

If you insert a long 1/4 screwdriver into the straight sides of the U shape, and turn. The cover will pop. Do both sides and it will pop free.
  7. D

Spindle nut socket.

I use a magnet to pull that key out. The 1st time I had the rock the nut a bit to unbind the key.
  8. D

Rusted Gas-hole 1st Gen Only

A couple years after moving to MN my filler neck started to rust under the gas cap. A coulple years ago I ground it off and painted it. That has worn off and I have rust again. What's the cure, plating? My 3rd gen doesn't rust. I can't find this part (new) for sale. What have you snow-belt...
  9. D

Clutch Replacment

I printed off the procedure that I found posted here. That was many years ago. It is probably a sticky now. 3 pages that I put in plastic folders, easy to follow when I was under the truck. I found that taking off the skirts made it easier to acces the bell housing bolts and for torque later. A...
  10. D

T90P-50-ALA buy/rent/borrow?

Seems like your local AZ or Advanced would rent this.
  11. D

1993 XL Rebuild project

Replacing heads on a 1st gen is a breeze. There is a good write up here somewhere that I followed. I got my from Alabama Cylinder Head in 09. I don't know if they are still around.
  12. D

4WD engages backing turning right

When I pulled off the right hub, the gear ring fell out in my hand. All that slop had it engaging. I should have bought 2 hubs. If anyone gets the new designed auto hub (1A Auto) 1AFWH00001, you will have to go to Ford for the new spacers F57Z-3B458-A.
  13. D

4WD engages backing turning right

I think the 4WD is engaged on my 91 X, all by itself. Backing (right) into my driveway engages the front axel. When I pull forward and turn right or left it makes a terrible Grrrrr noise like my knobby tire is rubbing on the wheel well. I think the noise is coming from the front diff area. Over...
  14. D

92 XLT fuel pump runs open! Plz help fix!

I replaced my original fuel pump at about 175K, only because the whine it made was getting scarey loud. I haven't driven it in a while (my son's truck now) but I would swear that pump runs until the engine is shut off.
  15. D

Squeek from AC Compressor

I have been chasing down a pully squeek. It went away as soon as I bypassed the compressor. What do I need to replace and where can I get one? Thanks!
  16. D

we changed plugs and wires and fuel filter we still have a slite miss

I had the same problem in my 91 at 200K. It ran better after each thing I replaced. Plugs, wires, fuel filter, cleaned MAF, but still had a slight miss. Turned out to be an injector.
  17. D

Trying to fix oil cooler leak

Ford p/n F6TZ-6L621-AA. They call this O-ring a gasket. $5.50 ea. Propiicher and I found the O-ring on the crossmember below while cleaning up all that oil. No wonder it spewed. Haynes says to torque the oil cooler bolt to 45 ft Lb. I'm not sure how to get a torque wrench on there. I had to...
  18. D

Block Heater cord

Do you mean the male end of the cord that would get connected to the AC outlet?
  19. D

battery light on HElp!!!!

Search Alternator. I've read a thread on here about grounds bad that give the battery light.
  20. D

48 Pound Clutch Pressure!?

Thanks for all your replies. And rhauf, I am Navy educated. So thanks for your tax dollars there as well.
  21. D

Anybody... I'd hate to be out in the snowy woods and the clutch fails.
  22. D

I gave my 91 to my son to drive 18 months ago. Recently I Clunkered my F-150 and bought a Mazda3 (those same great people that made my 91’s 5-speed.) Hunting season is here so I’m driving the Ex again. The clutch seems harder than I remember to depress so I measured it. I takes 48.5 Lbs, whereas...
  23. D

Heater hose question

Probably better to circulate it so it doesn't act like a blocked heater core.
  24. D

Alternator question

My headlights used to pulse and running the AC would bring it to its knees. I just replaced a head. While I had it apart I took the alternator in to have it looked at. The guy couldn't believe it still ran. 203K on it. Temple Electric (Faribault MN) rebuilt it for $100 with a 2 year warranty. My...
  25. D

Spark plug torque?

My F-150 is 84 - 168 in-Lbs. So I tighten them on my X to 10 ft-Lbs, all 5 that I can get the torque wrench on.
Back