Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Rhett

Solved Power loss solved.

You can also seal the intake pipe with rubberized sealant or plastic weld type of products, I had to do that about 10 years ago and it has held up really well.
  2. Rhett

$22,000 1994 Explorer

As 92exp4x4 said...no, 3.27s aren't problematic in the mechanical sense (well, if you tow with a 3.27 auto truck it's hard on the tranny) Best mod I made was going from 3.27 to 4.10 LS, but you're already set with 3.73's. I'm glad to see you picked up this Explorer. Even happier to see it has...
  3. Rhett

$22,000 1994 Explorer

Ugh it's cursed with 3.27 gears. Poor truck. But I'd have to keep that one all-original. It looks so nice.
  4. Rhett

Fuel tank replacement with Gen2

Have you looked into using a fuel cell?
  5. Rhett

Performance Exhaust

Regear is where it's at. 3.27's should have never been put in auto Explorers and I feel your pain my brother. They should have all come with 3.73 which is a good multipurpose ratio for the OHV and 235's. I went from 3.27 to 4.10 and it's been a really good move for the tires I run and how i...
  6. Rhett

Project Bailed-Out

Yes curse the cam synchronizer! Since you're in Lebanon...there is a diff shop just south of St. Louis -- Custom Differentials -- they might have a gear set laying around for the D35, or can find one. I had them set up new gears for my truck a few years ago, 4.10's front n rear with LS back...
  7. Rhett

Surging Idle

Tell me about it, I've dropped three tanks in the last year (twice in my own truck) and like clockwork when a tank needs to be dropped it is full of gas. Now it's all ethanol-free gas and Motorcraft pumps for me. Also check the TPS, i've seen them have inconsistent voltage throughout their...
  8. Rhett

Decision Time: 94 Ex XLT-215,000 heads are off

Well, that's a bummer that one head is junk. I would go with the 77k motor's heads. Or you could swap in the entire engine. I would only use the Chinese heads as a last resort.
  9. Rhett

Gas Tank

Yes as I recall that is correct -- it is pretty hidden under there. And difficult to fish the business-end of the strap into that slot when putting things back.
  10. Rhett

Gas Tank

There are two straps -- but the skid plate bracket you mentioned also helps secure the tank. The two straps secure into the driver's side frame -- if you look under there at the frame, you should see two little slots where the strap ends go. On my truck that skid plate bracket was almost...
  11. Rhett

91 Vibration problems

He shouldn't have the front ABS sensor block with his '91 -- but stranger things have happened with Ford. Are you sure you need to remove the spindle? At first I thought you were only going to replace the wheel bearings.
  12. Rhett

Fuel Pressure

That's the same gauge I have. I do use one of the adapters it came with. Also on my '94 there is a bundle of wires that you have to get around when attaching the gauge. It's almost made me think about making an extension from the rail a few inches out.
  13. Rhett

My 94 Won't start

I replaced my fuel pump in September 2017 with a Carter pump. And guess what? 1 year later, I am getting intermittent no-starts. So I slapped my pressure gauge on it...28 psi at idle, 38 with no vac on the FPR. I'm thinkin that's a little on the weak side. Engine is chugging a little at 28...
  14. Rhett

My 93 Explorer apparently has no idler pulley?

My 94 was built in 11/93 at Louisville, KY plant if I'm remembering right. Been a while since I looked at my VIN
  15. Rhett

Yep I've run into that problem many times. Usually I can move it just enough to slip the belt off... another thing I have done is put a cinder block under the truck and use it to hold the wrench in place while I slip off the belt. Definitely jealous of you tensioner-on-top guys. Maybe I can...
  16. Rhett

I've never seen a '93 with a tensioner up there. Much less a tensioner of that style. Leave it to Ford to do that. I wonder what the build date is on your truck.
  17. Rhett

Project little green exploder still haven't paint it but that's going to be the name of the truck

That'll look good! A long time ago a person here, Hank, made "Army Bauer", which was his Explorer painted army green on top, and if I remember right black or gray on bottom. Anyway, the thread is still here, but the pics are not. Project Army Bauer Our 1st gens make beast 4x4's, you will...
  18. Rhett

What is the "Best" Cooling setup for first Gens?

I am glad to see you here! Hope you are doin all right and still have the 302'ed BII. I don't really like the plastic/metal radiators. I've seen too many of them separate with hot/cold cycles and start the drip drip de drips. Another problem with them is their draincocks are usually plastic...
  19. Rhett

Air Conditioner 1994 explorer

Relay is easy to swap with a good working one or new one. Besides the relay and low pressure, there is also a switch behind the a/c controls in the dash. I've seen the switch get dirty and get stuck on or off. That switch may only be for the defroster though -- I can't remember. There is a...
  20. Rhett

Start working on it'

I wouldn't drive it until I lubed the pins. It's very important.
  21. Rhett

The dancing battery gauge

Hey your lights look good. You know the 93-94 Limited alternator is 130 amp and it fits any 1st gen regardless of submodel -- and you can get that alt at any decent auto parts store. Just tell them you have a 94 Limited. As for the hard start the following morning, it almost sounds like there...
  22. Rhett

Factory wire Looms

LMCTruck carries some sort of looms -- page 73 of their 1st Gen Catalog: Truck Parts and Truck Accessories I have never used those, but other than a dealer it is all I could think of.
  23. Rhett

Early 4.0 into a Second Gen Explorer

I don't know anyone who has done that, but I can give what little info I have. Yes the casting is slightly different, the heads are different, pistons different, OBD-I vs. OBD-II, etc. Your 93 was also batch fire injection, if memory serves. I am not sure how all of that will play with the...
  24. Rhett

1991 explorer alignment issues

Are your radius arms bent? Any damage to the lift components?
  25. Rhett

Lift is done tires are on!(pics)

Wow, thanks!! I added that extension and now I can see them all! That has been bothering me for months on lots of sites. I like what you've done with your truck. I did the exact same thing on my rear lower rockers -- looks identical to mine. Is that color a paint code from a specific model...
Back