Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Need Help Replacing the Upper Intake Manifold on a 98 5.0L

Oh, I totally agree. When I talked to him this morning he didn't sound up to it after I told him it would take a few days to get him the parts I'd like to use, so I took the keys and moved it to another garage. Though, there aren't a whole lot of them around here. I'd rather do it myself, but...
  2. S

The mechanic won't do the work if he has to pull it before finding a part. He said he was basically short on time. Is that the only way to determine which manifold we're dealing with?
  3. S

Hello, I have a 98 XLT with a freshly cracked upper intake manifold. Upon dropping it off at the mechanic's, I got a return call stating that this year had 3 options and they were not interchangeable? Is there any way to determine which is which w/o pulling it? I can see them making...
  4. S

Looking for Help with the Rear Hatch Handle on a '98

Sorry it took so long to reply. It's been a rough couple of days. http://imgur.com/9gp5gva http://imgur.com/Ui47htV The two holes are from whatever bolts/clips attached the handle to the trim before. It appears that that is all I need.
  5. S

I think I can get at it from the outside, my big concern is what to use to attach the handle to the hatch. There's not much space for a traditional nut/bolt combo. So I need to figure out how it was originally attached.
  6. S

Hello! Hopefully this is the correct forum for this thread. So my issue is that both the rear hatch handle and the keyhole "button" for the hatch window have both separated from the hatch, itself. The handle looks like it must have some odd kind of bolts made to clip into u-shaped cutouts on...
  7. S

Problems With the Brake Master Cylinder and Driver's Side Engine Harness.

Thank you. That thread has a lot of good info in it.
  8. S

Thank you for the reply. I'll make sure to take care of it. I'd eventually like my cruise control back, but I'll need a few other things first, so that I can do everything at one time.
  9. S

Thanks for the reply. Since my cruise control didn't work anyways, I isolated the wires in the clip and tied everything off then plugged the hole in the master cylinder with a bolt. Hopefully it will hold me until spring so I can get a hold of a new harness. As far as the recalls go, they...
  10. S

Thanks. That's definitely a start. I don't think I'll be able to take it to the dealership, though. If I were to get it towed there, they'd probably just refuse it. The last time I went for a safety recall, they refused to fix a problem associated with the recall. They'll only fix the part...
  11. S

Okay. So on my way home from work yesterday, the brakes decided to "pop." It felt like a line had burst, so I was instantly worried. Upon further inspection, it seems as if a part of the "housing" for the sensor burst, and that caused a short and a small fire. At least, that's all I can think of...
  12. S

98 XLT AWD Temp Gauge Stuck Past Hot

Thanks for the help and suggestions. I swapped the sending units(26.99 at Autozone. I couldn't find a cheaper one in the area) and upon starting it, the gauge acted normally. I'll be running into town later today to see if the problem is fully resolved and it heats up as it should.
  13. S

Thank you for the reply! Normally, the gauge reads above "hot" with very little fluctuation, and does not return to the rest when the truck is shut off. I turned the key to on, and pulled the connector, and the gauge dropped, so this should rule out the gauge itself, correct? Forgive my lack of...
  14. S

Hi! It's been a while, but I've recently had a problem pop up at the worst possible time. I start school on Tuesday, but for the past few days I've had my temp gauge stuck past the "Hot" section, with the "Check Gauge" light on. I've had a coolant leak for a while(have no idea where it is), and...
  15. S

98 XLT AWD Starting Problems

No ideas as to where the relay is? I can take a picture of what I'm looking at if it will help.
  16. S

While searching I've been clued to the solenoid, but people have suggested to look for it on the firewall, and the only thing I've been able to find there is a 175A relay. It does have 2 posts like a solenoid would, but they appear to be inline. One is a black wire with a red stripe, the other a...
  17. S

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted here. I was recently living out of town and had family occasionally start and run my 98 5.0L while I was gone. Only problem is that it wasn't as often as it needed. When I returned home the truck would barely start and the calipers were pretty tight...
  18. S

98 XLT AWD in PA

Yeah I'm always up that way. And if you ever need a hand or have a meet let me know too!
  19. S

98 XLT AWD in PA

Thx, hopefully not too much snow/ice. Haha it was near 60 today, I'd kill for it to stay that way all winter.
  20. S

98 XLT AWD in PA

Hey! Been here for a while but never seem to post. Anyway.... 1998 Ford Explorer XLT AWD Current mods: exhaust/intake(summer only) Most options, bout 70K NW Pennsylvania. Warren to be exact. Email= Smuffy9@yahoo.com AIM= blipsprobe A few images=...
  21. S

Help! Stuck in limp mode!

Don't know. To tell you the truth I'm not sure how the truck measures Idle air. I've been trying to find a Ford tech cd online for a decent price. I'm hoping if I can learn more about it's systems and sensors I might be able to track down what's causing me to stay in open loop.
  22. S

Just thinking, since the coolant was fried from the leak I had, could the IAC have suffered from this? I've never known an IAC to do more than make the idle jump, but then I'm pretty new to this OBD II thing. Thanks again.
  23. S

Sorry about neglecting this. I just switched from dialup to cable and had a lapse in service and I've been looking for a leakdown kit to no avail. Anyways, I was able to compression test the cylinders successfully. All the numbers were w/in 15% of each other, they all jumped right up on the...
  24. S

I do have a compression tester. With a healthy dose of N2O and ~160K on my GT's motor I figured it'd be preventative maint. :D As far as air, I have a 33? gallon upright, 6hp, 160psi, but what adaptors would I need? Or can I just buy a kit at Autozone? I'll stop by there when I get my return...
  25. S

Well, tonight I had let it run for a while(about 15 minutes, still in the cold range) and had to go back inside the building where I work to get a new shirt, when I left I smelt that sulfur smell you get from plugged cats, so I just kind of thought to myself it probably has something to do with...
Back