Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Intermittent rough idle on warm start....

Hello again, Well I decided to change out the fuel injectors, using instructions and advice posted elsewhere on this forum. It has seemed to do the trick. Two months now and running great. Not a particularly difficult job, either. Thanks for all the input.
  2. R

Is there a fuel injector replacement sticky

90ranajo, great breakdown of the job. Huge help. Many thanks. To answer the question of how long this took, I have never done this before and it was about three hours start to finish, thanks to 90aranjo's post and a Haynes manual. I used refurbished injectors (6 for $100). I know this is a...
  3. R

New Head Unit Radio Pop

Thanks for the replies. I have tried the volume at all levels but with no difference, unfortunately. Any other thoughts would be welcome... I have also tried different devices plugged in but the problem doesn't change. I will try the suggested device to fix the pop noise to see if it...
  4. R

New Head Unit Radio Pop

Hello, I just installed a new JVC head unit stereo on my 1992 Eddie Bauer. I get a loud speaker pop when switching between audio sources and also when switching the unit on and off. I have tried resistors on the remote amp power cable and also a 5v voltage regulator. Nothing has worked...
  5. R

Well, the dark days are back! Out of the blue the problem is back... Now I am wondering if it was a coincidence that it ever seemed to disappear. I will look into the fuel injectors son unless there are any other ideas that have come up. I am not feeling too confident taking them apart but...
  6. R

Fuel Pressure Low Before Start - Runs Fine

Thanks again. Useful information. So does anyone know if 10PSI is an abnormally low fuel pressure after sitting all night then switching on the fuel pump with the ignition? I have replaced the fuel pressure regulator and am leaning towards replacing the fuel pump but I don't want to dive...
  7. R

Thanks for that information. This in interesting. One question, though: when I switch on the ignition, shouldn't the fuel pump bring the pressure back up to a point where the engine starts if I give it enough time? No matter how long I leave it with the ignition on, the system only reaches...
  8. R

Hello, My 1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer has just begun to stumble when I am trying to start it, but only when it has sat for a few hours. I tested the fuel pressure: with the ignition on (and the fuel pump running) the fuel pressure is 10PSI. When I get it running (after one or perhaps two...
  9. R

Well, for some reason I went back and looked again at everything (before getting into pulling out the fuel pump/injectors). I noticed a tiny (and I mean TINY) crack on one of the spark plug wires. I changed them out and the problem hasn't returned since. This might be a coincidence and I will...
  10. R

Hi, So the fuel pressure regulator didn't fix the problem. I guess it is on to the injectors after this (somewhat expensive) process of elimination. Could it be the fuel pump, though? I'll keep this page informed in case it helps others....
  11. R

Thanks for all the input! Murkinstock, I checked the fuel pressure regulator and it was indeed full of gas. I replaced it and will report back to see if it is the problem. If not, then it is certainly on to the fuel injectors. Arco777, thanks for the advice - and the link. Pretty...
  12. R

Hi, thanks for the replies. The IAC has been replaced with no improvement. Removing and cleaning fuel injectors seems like a tough project. I'm not sure I have the wherewithal for that job. Would a gas-tank injector cleaning product work? Again, all input is appreciated on this as the...
  13. R

Hi, It took a while to get to due to some family events but I just changed out the TPS. No change: the explorer is still idling rough after cooling for twenty minutes or so. I'm stumped here.... Anyone have any further thoughts? Both coolant temp sensors have been replaced. Many thanks!
  14. R

How to: Running Seafoam through Vacuum (91-94 Explorers with Pictures)

Hello, Do you leave the intake tubing off when adding the Seafoam while the engine is running? Thanks,
  15. R

Thanks for the input, all. I will take a look at the TPS tomorrow and check back in with the results...
  16. R

Hi again, I have a 92 4.0L Eddie Bauer Explorer. It starts from cold just fine. Every time. However, when it is started after it has been driven and the engine has heated up it sometimes (maybe 1/3 of the time) idles rough as anything and feels like it is going to stall. It doesn't do...
  17. R

Knocking sound only in drive - 1992 Explorer (automatic)

Hello, My 1992 Eddie Bauer Explorer's engine purrs along perfectly when the vehicle is in neutral or park. When I put it in gear (and the engine is warm) there is a knocking sound from underneath whenever I have my foot on the brake. When I start driving, it goes away. It doesn't happen...
Back