Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

NO REVERSE... Solenoid, band, servo pin, please help??

In post #10 the picture references an "O" Ring in the servo housing . Can anyone tell me the part # or another way to get it? I'm going to replace the servo and want to replace the "O" ring while I'm in there. Thank you
  2. M

Horrible smell from vents !

My condition must be different, A/C works fine, odor is still there for a minute after turning heat on.
  3. M

Horrible smell from vents !

I have the same issue with my 2010 XLT. I agree with what explorer21230 describes as the odor. An easy way to make it happen is to have it on A/C blowing cold air then turn the temp to full hot. Its as if the heat is burning off something in the heater/evaporator area like maybe some mildew. I...
  4. M

Wind noise

Is it a "Wind noise" or "Air leak" While it is possible to seal an area to eliminate the noise of air leaking in, it may not be possible to stop wind noise created by fast moving air acting on protruding windshield seals, roof racks, mirrors etc.
  5. M

Need help understanding TPMS

You don't have to buy OEM, most aftermarket sensors will work with the OEM sensors. You don't have to buy a banded sensor. I bought one aftermarket stem mounted sensor (about $30 online) to replace a faulty banded sensor. The tire store put it in for the charge of a mount and balance. I also...
  6. M

ford explorer2009 fuel mileage reducing

To my understanding the computer keeps track of the mpg for the last 1000 miles or so and uses that to predict the mileage you will get from a full tank. Has your fuel mileage been going down due to type of driving or different temps?
  7. M

Clunking noise

While under the car if you can grab and rotate the front driveshaft back and forth does there seem to be excessive play? (compare it with rear driveshaft). loose "U" joints ? or too much slop in diff? You may also want to check play in shafts between diff and hub. Sway bar and bushings as...
  8. M

Understanding front door stays.

Good to hear its working for you. Do you think you could put a small sticker over the lower hole to keep the grease in or maybe some JB Weld?
  9. M

Both holes were drilled on the side
  10. M

Sorry,I looked at it again to see that the lower hole is more like a 1/4 to 1/3 the way up from the bottom. When I first tried this I drilled only the upper hole and I couldn't get much grease in because of pressure building up inside the door stay. I drilled another hole further...
  11. M

Tick noise from "B" Pillar

2010 XLT, I'm getting a tick noise from left B pillar, sounds like its right in my ear. Happens a lot on gravel or rough roads about 15 mph but will happen randomly on smooth roads at all speeds. I have removed the pillar trim parts so I can press or grab certain parts to isolate the...
  12. M

Here's a link that shows what I used, I have the gun in the middle, any type of pinpoint fitting will work. The hole I drilled was about 1/16 or maybe the next size up and I used wheel bearing grease. http://www.dualco-inc.com/products.push.html
  13. M

two problems need help with ones with the brakes and another i cant figure out

The squeak over bumps could be the sway bar bushings needing grease. I had a 97 Ex that did the same thing and had to remove the brackets and bushings, clean and coat with grease every few years, takes about half hour, spraying them with oil wont help. If the squealing when turning...
  14. M

Any common problems to look out for on 2006 onwards Explorer?

Generally speaking (all brands) The first model year of a body style change will be the one with most issues. The 2006 Explorer have the most issues and 2010 having the least. Check out recalls on cars you are favoring, check dependability ratings also you can use this link to help...
  15. M

Aftermarket backup cam

Try Sonic Electronics or Crutchfield and search for back up cam
  16. M

I was successful greasing the stays. I drilled a small hole about half way up the cylinder and another hole near the top to vent any old grease/air while filling the lower hole with a pinpoint grease gun. After filling with grease I plugged the holes with a small screw and there has been no...
  17. M

2009 Explorer = Throttle Body Assembly

Spend $80 and replace the Throttle Position Sensor, this is usually where the problem is.
  18. M

2007 awd 4.6 transfer case clicking noise

Did you notice the left front wheel jerking with the noise? That should be a clue, front diff?
  19. M

2nd row seats lay flat

Close Stic-o but no cigar. The only ones that lay flat have the "cargo handle" to lay them down the rest of the way completely flat.
  20. M

What oil do you use and how many miles are on your explorer ?

I buy the name brand oil on sale, usually its Quaker State 5-30 Non Synthetic. Change it every 4000 mi. My 97 Ex bought new went 200k without any engine issues at all. still ran strong and used no oil when I sold it. I'm doing the same with My 2010.
  21. M

Tire Sensors

Thanks guy's sounds easy enough
  22. M

Tire Sensors

Thanks Tech by Trade, So all I need is this sensor and a retrain tool? If I take it to a tire shop to replace just the sensor would it be that easy or would they want to do their own diagnosing?
  23. M

Tire Sensors

I have a 2010 XLT, the "tire sensor failure" message has come on 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I deflated and inflated each tire one at a time and verified all sensors triggered the "low tire pressure' message except for the left rear, I am assuming that the left rear is the faulty tire sensor...
  24. M

2nd row seats lay flat

As I was looking for 2008-2010 Ex's none of the seats were able to lay flat nor did they have the extra seatback handle to lay it down Unless it had third row seating.
  25. M

2nd row seats lay flat

Thorsmom, I recently bought a 2010 XLT and while searching I found that. If the car has third row seating, the Second row will lay flat. This is probably true for any Explorer 2006 thru 2010. I found that when you're looking at cars online, look for the lever on the side of the second row...
Back