Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

3rd gen pic's

Haven't been here in a while. Over the summer I gave my 16 year old daughter the 2003 Explorer as her first car. It's been great for her to drive to school and work each day. Had her doing routine maintenance including tire rotation and oil changes as well.
  2. T

Weird squeak in driver side rear suspension - 2003 XLT

So a little over 1 year (and 5 months) later and the passenger side did the same thing. This time I put a quick video together of the replacement process and part I used. Slightly harder to find that lower arm these days I guess due to supplier shortages, but I did find it on Amazon. Link in my...
  3. T

2003 Explorer - Shift into gear issue

Thanks for the tips. I had adjusted my cable a few times but still had intermittent issues. Turns out the Range Sensor was the problem. I got a new one off Amazon (Price was under $30) compared to local O'reillys same part was over $65.
  4. T

2003 Explorer - Shift into gear issue

Recently my transmission was rebuilt. However since getting the Explorer back, it is not consistent going into gear. Example - When I pull the shift lever into Reverse, it may go into gear 4 out of 5 times. But the 5th time, it wont' be in gear and revs like in neutral. I then have to pull it...
  5. T

How To: Intake gaskets and Valve Cover gasket replacements 4.0 V6

Over the Labor Day weekend I decided to tackle this project. Have had the dreaded valve cover leaks for a while now and noticed it while having the transmission rebuilt. So I pulled the intake and while it was off, went ahead and popped new gaskets onto it. I then pulled the valve covers off and...
  6. T

Proof it does snow in NC

I wouldn't mind some cooler weather right now! These 90-100 degree days and high humidity are the worst! I chuckled at this old thread bump. I wish I still had that white X. Sadly when I sold it, the girl crashed it a few months later and let insurance total it before I could buy it back. It...
  7. T

Recent 5R55 rebuild and rear strut failed same time

So my 2003 finally had 3rd gear fail completely in the 5R55 transmission. I bit the bullet and took it to a local transmission shop to have it rebuilt. They found 3rd gear was completely gone and band was broken. They went thru the entire transmission and replaced the band(s), solenoid pack...
  8. T

How to: 2003 Alternator swap

I had my alternator start failing recently. So I ordered a new one from Rock Auto and swapped it out. Works great so I added the video to my YT page for reference if anyone had questions on doing this mod.
  9. T

How to change the oil pan gasket 2002-2005 Explorer 4.0 engine

I have yet to find anything for the rear panels either. Mine also have some wear on them too. But the side panels I put on the doors are holding up great and are not noticeable from factory as they blend in so well. Thanks for the feedback by the way!
  10. T

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. Not sure I'll do a bearing video anytime soon........ Haha. Currently in the middle of 2 Explorer videos. 1 is for alternator replacement and the big one is the transmission rebuild. Having a shop do that one. Ryan
  11. T

Weird !!! Stalling Sputtering problem 2004 Explorer XLT 6 Cyl 4.0L

I just checked my 2003 model. Mine has 3 "teeth" for engagement of the fuel cap into the filler neck. Mine looks just like the Motorcraft FC961 model here -
  12. T

It's not uncommon to have a fuel/gas cap problem or bypass hose causing a vent issue which could indeed contribute to a vapor lock type of issue.
  13. T

Well from my experience, my 2003 Explorer with the 4.0 engine had a similar problem. Ran fine but if I got stuck in traffic or say in a drive-thru for a while with the air-conditioning on, my explorer would sputter or seem to misfire temporarily a few times as I tried to pull away. It would do...
  14. T

I am curious on something so bear with me. Are you running the air-conditioning during this time? Have you had the problem before and if not, was the air-conditioning running/engaged previously? As a test, try driving the vehicle and not running the air-conditioning. If that makes any...
  15. T

I did this recently as my oil pan gasket (lower) was leaking at the back of the pan, near the transmission. It was a pretty simple job. Just drain the oil (during a routine oil change). Remove all bolts. Pull pan off and clean. Remove and discard old gasket. Install new gasket. Reinstall pan...
  16. T

AC keeps breaking after repairs for two years now

Can you verify the low and high side pressures to ensure they are in range? Is the compressor staying on, or does it cycle/click off and on? If the pressures are in range and the compressor is staying on/engaged, but still no cooling, then it most likely is a problem under your dash. This can be...
  17. T

The fresh air door / recirculate failure repair & cabin filter mod

My 2003 Explorer had the dreaded fresh air door problem when I purchased it. The door had fallen down on top of the fan. I simply removed it for the initial diagnosis, but this week I finally repaired it. I show you how and also how to add a cabin filter mod to this vehicle. Enjoy! Ryan
  18. T

Fixed it! So the driver side lower control arm was original (190k miles). The noise would not change no matter how much WD40 I sprayed on it. So I installed a brand new replacement lower control arm. Upon removing it from the Explorer, the mounting bolt (one closest to driveshaft) was seized...
  19. T

So my 2003 XLT AWD Explorer has 190x miles on it. I've replaced the springs and struts about 2 years ago when I bought it from the original owner. At the time all was fine. In the last couple of months, I've heard a squeak from the driver side rear end when I go over a bump. In the last couple...
  20. T

Which ABS Sensor is it? Which Scanner to use?

I just bought one of these off Amazon and it works great for ABS codes. Only $150. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y26XQPF/?tag=serious-20
  21. T

13.9 mpg sound about right?

My 2003 with V6 AWD averages 14mpg on daily stop-n-go commuting. It has gotten over 17mpg on interstate driving.
  22. T

Adrenalin Wheels for the Explorer

I've had my wheels for a while now, but still get a lot of questions about them. So I decided to just put a video together with links in the description. Hope this is helpful! Ryan
  23. T

How to: 4th gen hatch swap on 3rd gen Explorer DONE!!!

I've been considering this swap on my 2003. Great thread!
Back