Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Broken PTU - now leaking coolant and worse...

Hey all, just wanted to put a bow on this one. So I had the ride towed to a local mechanic. Turns out the PTU essentially exploded into at least 2 pieces. Since the PTU was very damaged the coolant lines lost connection which is why coolant spilled all over the road. I ended up having to...
  2. C

Broken PTU - now leaking coolant and worse...

Hello all, I'll try to be brief. Looking for opinions on what was at first just a PTU problem but now turned into full on catastrophe. I have a 14 Expo Sport. many years ago while car was under warranty the PTU was replaced. Years later, the same symptoms of bad PTU came but I kept driving as...
  3. C

Dealer - PTU replacement....

Hello all, Been quite a while since I've posted here. hope all is well. So it appears my 2nd PTU (14 Sport) has gone bad after only around 25k miles on this one. This time, the dealer while recommending a remove/replace of the PTU they also state the drive shaft and both front axles should be...
  4. C

PTU Problems

Take it in. You want to get it fixed hopefully before PTU fluid is all over the place and stinks up your car for months (even after repair - IF it is in fact a PTU issue).
  5. C

PTU Problems

Thanks for the info...certainly will provide help to those that need it. Me, I can't get rid of this thing soon enough so I doubt I'll have it much longer to care to deal with this anymore. Weeks later and the car interior still wreaks of nauseating burning gear fluid after driving around 10...
  6. C

PTU Problems

I've had my car back 3 weeks now from getting the PTU replaced... interior still wreaks of gear oil if I turn on fan and/or after driving and car is up to temp... To the point now where I can't stand to drive the damn thing because of the smell. No idea where all the old bad fluid leaked OR if...
  7. C

PTU Problems

Clean fluid? You may be the first to get fluid out of the ptu that is actually clean :) maybe your seal blew... glad your still under the little to no questions asked warrenty...you should be taken care of no problem. Good luck
  8. C

double honk disable/enable with FORscan

This thread right here is the exact example of why I love car forums. That $#Y^%$#&#$% double car honk drives me bananas EVERYTIME I run into it...nearly daily. It's right up there with the worst "features" from Ford ever... Thanks guys!!!
  9. C

Help - 14 Expo Sport drives fine then feels like a brake(s) lock? Terrible smell, no CEL - help?

Update - Parts arrived on Wednesday. Took the Ex in on Thursday AM. Earlier today, I called for an update as to when car would be available only to have been told they just got it up on the rack this morning as opposed to yesterday and that it should be ready by end of the day. Fast forward to...
  10. C

Hit & Run : 2016 Sport

Crap that blows all around but so good no one was seriously hurt. Good luck in getting all that you can out of the other party to make you whole again.
  11. C

Help - 14 Expo Sport drives fine then feels like a brake(s) lock? Terrible smell, no CEL - help?

Update, got word back from dealer today. They got the car on a rack, and apparently observed significant shutter and grinding from the ptu. It was enough to say the unit should be replaced. They went through the process and Ford will be covering it's replacment under power train warrenty...
  12. C

PTU Fluid

That's helpful. Cool, I'll take a look again today when I get home. I was looking from the top down and for whatever reason my dumb self didn't think to look from bottom up on that side... I would like to add a little fluid just to see if the car drives better to get it to the dealership tomorrow...
  13. C

PTU Fluid

Hey Kp, any chance you can take a pic or explain where to find that vent tube on a Sport?
  14. C

PTU Problems

Thanks. I did see that post from using the search function and while that is helpful, it is written from an owner with an XLT so no 3.5 TT. The thread @ http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/ptu-fluid.445716/ indicates there is a vent tube that can be used but the vehicle used...
  15. C

PTU Problems

Curious, for those that are replacing the fluid in the PTU regularly - are you pumping new fluid in from the allen screw hole underneath the car or is there a vent tube that can be extended to the top of the engine bay? While starting to do the job myself this wknd, I could not figure out/find...
  16. C

So I called local dealer to find out when they could take a look at the car....earliest is Thursday. After doing more research this weekend, seems to be pretty likely I have run into a power transfer unit issue. So in keeping with my diy-ness, I planned to flush out the fluid today in hopes...
  17. C

Your mention of the PTU being a possibility got me to do some searching. Seems other owners have had somewhat similar issues that a PTU replacement solved... oh boy. I'm out of bumper to bumper, wonder if power train warranty would kick in for this... guess I'll find out on Monday...sigh
  18. C

Hey everyone, Hoping someone can shed some light on an issue that presented itself today a few hours ago. So I am driving down the a normal city street doing 30mph or so. I go to make a right turn, make it and start to accelerate and then I feel a drag on the car. Sort of felt like the car...
  19. C

lighter driveshaft..

Doubt there is much of a market for driveshaft replacements in these cars. It's not really a sport SUV, and not really offroad capable no matter the mods...
  20. C

HID Install +Pics - Step by Step

@ tonystewart and anyone else that may know - I am looking at purchasing the EVOXR projectors and other gear but already have ballast for my 9006 HID's lamps. Not sure that there is a physical difference in the connection but before I purchase stuff, wanted to make sure I understood what's up.
  21. C

Resonator Removal on Sport

This may help. I posted in another thread regarding my experience which follows a few other guys here - http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3351541&postcount=40 I have sound clips of Stock, no res delete but muffs, and then replaced muffs/res . Xpipe definitely helped...
  22. C

Explorer Audio upgrade(s)

Hey Folks, Recently I added some Polk Audio db coaxials to the rear of the ride. I ended up just taking the same full range signal that was combined with the JL audio cleansweep and combiner running to the rear speakers thus loosing fade which isnt a big deal. However, before I ended up there...
  23. C

Full-Black Ford Emblems on our Explorer!

So I recently installed the ETSY emblems front and back. Today I was notified by a colleague that the front was barely hanging on. Sure enough by the time we went out to check, it was hanging by a thread of adhesive... Anyone run into that? I have left over 3M extra strength dbl sided tape...
  24. C

Split Armrest Issue

LOL. Good luck on the trade if that really ends up being what you do.
  25. C

Removing Front Console Lid/Cover

Thanks Haverstrawman, That info helped quite a bit. I ended up replacing my center leather cover. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong kind - got Grey(really white) stitching instead of what is supposed to be Tan. Ordered while not really thinking about it and "grey" seemed to make sense...
Back