Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Ice on inside of windows...

Thanks for the replies, guys. The windows do clear up in a few minutes. She'll be home for Christmas break in a week and I'll check a few things, but was trying to get a jump on what to be looking for.
  2. J

Ice on inside of windows...

What could cause ice on inside of windows? Recently in cold conditions (eastern Washinton state) my daugther, away at college, has gone to her 1997 (V6) and had to run the defrost for awhile to clear ice from inside of windows. She claims there's no moisture in the vehicle in the way of spilled...
  3. J

A/C cycles on and off

Well...after cleaning the idle air control valve and the mass air flow sensor (my guess is the main culprit was a dirty idle air control valve as idle was when the annoyance occurred), so far this summer this annoying cycling of the AC on and off in warm temps while at idle has not occured...
  4. J

97, 4 door, AT, 4WD, 3.73, 4.0V6-want to tow a horse

Yep, understand all that and will be doing it. The helper spring just helps with cargo weight and some of the tongue weight. This old '97 starts to sag in the back pretty quick with much weight, cargo and/or tongue weight. Definietly will be using a weight distribution hitch.
  5. J

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=5674&currency=USD&gclid=CNG2_baqyLwCFY17fgodeAYA8w These are much cheaper and have less suspension issues (air bags limit suspension travel--if you off road much, this could be and issue) while being much easier to...
  6. J

Trailer Brake Controllers Explained

Where is it in the 1997? I'm just starting to look. Have towing package...
  7. J

Air Lift air bags for 97 Explorer... http://www.airliftcompany.com/vehicles/ford/explorer/1997/ Looks like this might be the way to go. Anyone know of any good deals on this kit? Anyone just used a bicycle tire pump with guage on it to adjust these? Just throw the pump in the trailer to...
  8. J

What about helper springs or airbags for towing? Any suggestions of one over the other? I like the idea of the adjustability of airbags. Is there a known airbag kit that will work well on a 97 Explorer?
  9. J

Am looking at the Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks for the rear of my vehicle to help when towing. Anyone used these in this application or other towing applications?
  10. J

Will keep that in mind. Anything that much combined weight on this vehicle will definitely need trailer brakes with proper controller. Are these electric controllers pretty universal or are they 'tuned' to a particular trailer weight with certain axle configuration, etc.? I still have a...
  11. J

It's a D4 axle, which I understand to be a 3.73. In my owner's manual the 3.73 and the 4.10 have the same towing capacity--5600lbs. (manual says 5600, not 5500). Horse towing sites put most single horse trailers in the 1200-1800lb weight...
  12. J

frame mounted hitch... Looks like the DrawTite hitch 75096 would be the way to go for a good heavy duty hitch: http://www.draw-tite.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1040&part=75096
  13. J

New to towing and have a horse we want to tow in a single horse trailer. Do not have a frame mounted trailer hitch, but am starting to look for one--any leads on what to look for? This rig does have the auxiliary tranny cooler. What do I need to do?
  14. J

Help! Sudden transmission problem--slipping out of gear

New t-case is in and all is well so far. Had 'em service the rear diff and tranny as well and both are still in great shape after 181K! I've had a consistent, but subtle harmonic vibration (on for 4-5 seconds then goes away for 2 secs or so) in the vehicle for over a year. I was only at...
  15. J

Tranny shop pulled the t case to see if it was rebuildable. It was a mess, they said. They will install a rebuilt case soon. They report that the transmission looks like it's in great shape. Thanks to all who helped me out with this.
  16. J

It's at the transmission shop. Will plan on posting results...
  17. J

http://www.rsgear.com/articles/2002_09_Gears.pdf Good article on this case. What they describe later on in the article is exactly what I'm experiencing and apparently one of the know weaknesses of the design. This particular company, rsgear.com, does some in house machining on their rebuilt...
  18. J

5R55E external sensors

Yes...181K with no troubles with it 'til this point... Always serviced every 30K, etc...
  19. J

Thanx...I'll check all that out.
  20. J

Any idea of the inner workings of the tcase of what is going on and what it'll take to fix it?
  21. J

5R55E external sensors

I'm having a very similar issue with my 97 (4.0, SOHC), except that it doesn't have to be in OD. At freeway speeds, often just after braking or when I go down a hill, the tranny will suddenly 'slip' out of gear. I have to put it in N and get to the side of the road. A couple of minutes later...
  22. J

Any help would be appreciated. I have had no trouble with this tranny til now. 181K miles on a 97 V6 4.0. Just tonight coming home from Thanksgiving dinner at mostly freeway speeds it would 'slip' (best I can describe) and there would be this sound like gears hitting each other at hi-speed...
  23. J

A/C cycles on and off

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/what-to-do-when-car-ac-compressor-cycles-on-and-off#b Talks about a bad computer being the problem... Or, a pressure switch? This guy is having similar problems to as my vehicle, but in a differnent way--fast cycling when the car is moving and the problem...
  24. J

A/C cycles on and off

The a/c system does seem to cool properly in summer, but I have never heard or witnessed a vehicle's compressor cycling this often. Probably every five seconds, now that I think about it, and this occurs continuously while at a stoplight until the vehicle starts moving again or the a/c is...
  25. J

A/C cycles on and off

Hi, I've got a 1997 Explorer that we purchased with 18k on it. Anytime the temps are above 70F or so and the a/c is on and I'm stopped at idle, the a/c compressor is constantly cycling on and off about ever 6-7 seconds or so. This only happens in the above specific conditions. If the a/c...
Back