Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Spare tire

I think it would hold up ok Brother but a strap could be a good and safe idea too. I know it's not for everyone but a roof basket is a great way to carry it so if you get a flat in a odd spot while wheeling you may not be able to get to it. Something to think about down the road maybe.
  2. S

TIRES UPGRADE HELP!!!!!

I've been running 33's on mine for a year now with no trouble with nothing but Shakles, TT and a 1" body lift.
  3. S

Fuel mileage going from stock wheels/tires to larger tires

I'm running 285/75/16's on '97 5.0L with the stock 3.73 gear for about 3 years now and she does just fine. She's getting about 15ish MPG. Not TO bad I guess.
  4. S

06 ranger mirrors on an expo?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/side-mirror-swap.446874/
  5. S

God Awful MPG

Have you looked for a large hole in your gas tank?!?!? Dang Brother my '97 2WD 5.0L with 3.73 gears, 3in lift and 33's gets 14/15 City/Highway. I would B!t€h about my MPG before Reading your post.....I'm going to go home and give my old girl a big hug and kiss for doing so well LMAO.
  6. S

Show off your LIFTED 2nd GEN

Clean rig dman. Very nice setup.
  7. S

Help with a 5.0L click

Awesome ok. Thanks so much for the info boomin!!! I hope that's all it is. Now on a side note, How hard is that going to be? I know those exhaust manifolds are really wedged in the EX's.
  8. S

Help with a 5.0L click

Hey Guys, Like the title says, My '97 5.0L has a fairly loud clicking sound coming from what sounds like the heads or at least in that general vicinity. The old girl has 172,000 miles now and has ALWAYS run like a tank. My questions are. 1: Has anyone had this happen before and 2: What do you...
  9. S

Side mirror swap

Really? I think they would look great on on EX just because their different then stock.
  10. S

Taking a small leap towards offroading

I agree Bud. The reason for me making mine bolt-on is if I hit something going off-road or find a different bumper down the line that maybe a different width I can just make a new mount and un-bolt one and stick the other one up and BAM!!! I'm but to doing something ignorant in no time
  11. S

Yeah Bud, The factory bumper is crazy easy to get off. It's just 4 bolts that hold it on. The old TJ Jeep front bumper is fairly easy to mount up as well. All you need is a 2x4x3/16in or 1/4in thick tubing cut to whatever length the inside of the bumper is. I'm building mine to be a direct...
  12. S

Thank you Jay but believe me Brother, I've been building on the ole girl for about 2 1/2 years. Slow but steady. I have my new "Rock crawler" style bumpers for her, I just have to found the spare time to custom fab the mounts to fit them up. They are for a TJ Jeep Wrangler but I know I can make...
  13. S

Hey Jay, Your best bet would be to buy 4in lift spindles and superlift 4in rear leaf springs if you want to go that tall. I'm not even sure if there is a 4in shackle for our EX's? I did what most do and put Warrior lift shackles on the rear and a torsion twist lift in the front end to get me...
  14. S

Explorer second gen on 33's?

I hate when folks give out their "2 cents" on something but here I go..... Im not even sure a 14.5" wide tire would be able to turn full lock without some crazy rubbing. I'm running 285/75/16's (33's) on my '97 5.0L and to me it looks good and rides fine.
  15. S

Side mirror swap

It looks to me like an 06-10 Explorer mirror "May" work better. Not a great photo but it's one of the better ones I could find.
  16. S

Side mirror swap

So it looks like the mounting point is a little different on the two. The top photo is an 06 Ranger Mirror and the bottom photo is a 95-97 Explorer Mirror.
  17. S

Side mirror swap

I'm not 100% sure if they are the same but I would LOVE to do this myself. I may just order a set and see if they will fit.
  18. S

need new torsion bolts?

I took my grinder and just rounded it off so it would work like the stock bolt did.
  19. S

need new torsion bolts?

That's what I did on my '97 EX. I took one of my Stock TT key bolts to ACE hardware and got a longer grade 8 replacements. That was almost 3 years ago and it's still working Great!!! And YES I do a good amount of Off-roading and have had NO trouble out of them.
  20. S

best way to mount aux lights

Thank you for that!!! I'm real big on doing it right or not doing it at all.
  21. S

I made them myself sense there isn't any on the market for us EX folks. I used a 2x2in by 3/16in angle iron and cut them to the size and shape I wanted. Then I pulled both fenders off and anchored the mounts on the inside of the cowl and ran all the wiring high and tight along the back of the...
  22. S

Another angle.
  23. S

Here's how I decided to do mine.
  24. S

I hear ya Bro. When I was driving my EX to work I would fill up every Monday/Wednesday and Friday.....:rant: Annnndd that's why I got my new '16 Accord Sport. Helps with gas, Keeps wear and tear off of the old girl and it puts me back in a Honda where I started almost 20 years ago. I'll...
  25. S

Yeah Brother, Over a year does suck.....Bad!!!
Back