Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

13 Exp Lawsuit

I find myself passing idiots from time to time and I get a smell on hard acceleration. I do not like it, but it does not seem over powering Running fresh air through AC solves it relatively quickly btw, my wife says I am very sensitive to smells
  2. D

Gas efficiency

I am driving drive 5 to 45 mph up and down mountains in yellowstone national park (you can not make cars in front of you move faster). I use cruise control and manual mode down shifting so as not to wear out my brakes. I get 22+ mpg and the Ex typically reports 0.5 to.0 mpg better than...
  3. D

Voice Command - is it worthless

How do you load POIs into the POS NAV? btw, just because you can not discriminate or understand why others prefer superior gps systems (like even one of my cheap second rate garmins) does not mean you have proved anything. Yes I still am of the opinion the nav in my ex is a POS
  4. D

Well thanks for blaming the "user" as opposed to the POS navigation system supplied with my EX. I have successfully used several other navigation systems that were of better or lesser value but none was as bad as the POS in my EX. Thanks for your comments. I can not see videos as my cell...
  5. D

I agree on voice for radio stations, but the six presets work even better. my temp button and the + and - buttons work well. Climate voice is rather frustrating Navigation sucks no matter how you use it Buttons on steering wheel and for temperature control seem well thought out so why...
  6. D

Thinking of trading my '13 sport for a new '15

Well if you view retiring in your fifties with the ability to come and go as you choose instead of showing up at work due to borrowing for your next new car a problem, then I guess you are correct. BTW Yellowstone NP is great this time of year and we have been seeing plenty of bears, hiking...
  7. D

I tried using the voice command initially Voice command sucks My writing skills are abysmal, but my diction is very good as I had poor diction and then had speech lessons for 4 or 5 years as a child. If it can not understand me even on the third try how the heck can it understand most...
  8. D

Thinking of trading my '13 sport for a new '15

$100 per month for a heated steering wheel?????? How many pair of gloves can you get for $100? My portfolio is just fine and I pay cash for everything including my house. A lot easier to keep your head and your emotions at bay while weathering a decline or bear market when you realize...
  9. D

More aluminum to come

"The car has aluminum brake rotors that are 39 percent lighter than cast iron ones and carbon fiber wheels that weigh 42 percent less than aluminum ones." I do not want first generation Aluminum brake rotors. I am sure we will see a lot of changes and most for the better, but do not expect...
  10. D

Ford really does not care about "Quality is Job One"

That comment is beyond silly and shows a severe lack of understanding. If you get a PE license one thing you will learn that your first priority as an engineer is human safety. Another lesser priority is to cost (any idiot can design a billion dollar solution) as engineers are suppose to...
  11. D

Ford Explorer 3.5L FWD vs 4WD Acceleration

Run the test if the fwd wheels start slipping your acceleration is maxed out. for a 50/50 split balance front to back max acceleration for 2wd is g/2 for ideal 4wd max acceleration is g (g is acceleration due to gravity) I assume EX is weighted to front so it is more than g/2 but not g...
  12. D

What do you think of ford making the explorer in china ??

Which ford plants are sweat shops or have child labor?
  13. D

Anyone tow an Travel Trailer(RV) with a 2011 Exp?

It seems like a capable cross over to me and that is the way the industry is being forced to take. But that means you get a lot more people who want cars buying EX's and more interested in 20 inch wheels than functional issues like towing. So those interested in towing or 4wd will likely...
  14. D

What do you think of ford making the explorer in china ??

Would you prefer ford not to make cars in china and let a japanese or german company get that market? US taxes, unions, etc. make it impossible for USA to compete with whoever builds a plant in china. Better ford builds a plant in china than some one else imo
  15. D

11-12 Explorer reliability

trudelta dot com shows reliability and the 2011 MY was worse than 2012
  16. D

Initial off road impressions

You are perfectly correct, but for most buyers I think they will never take the EX some place where they can get it stuck as they will ignore anything difficult. Like I said even the 4x4 truck did not like one trail even though his vehicle was more than capable (it was a shinny new truck)
  17. D

Initial off road impressions

OK first attempt was some off road we hiked in NM (I forget the name of the trail) After hiking I was a little concerned I might get stuck, but a 4x4 truck started down the trail when we got back to the EX so we followed him. Unfortunately he did not continue on the trail for long and turned...
  18. D

Refreshing

As a rather savvy engineer who started taking 4 months off the summer I turned 54 and 6 months + each summer there after, I will tell you my assets were not enhanced by trading vehicles frequently. I am reluctant to believe the dealers or Ford suffered on any of these deals. Your portfolio...
  19. D

Hope Ford introduces the 2015 Everest to the US Market

Peter is correct But the die hards on this forum may defect to jeep or some truck or .... But ford will likely sell a lot of stuff to many others
  20. D

Actually, if they built it off shore for a few years and worked the bugs out of the new factory AND added real 4wd to this version it might be a successful niche product competitor to the jeep products in NA.
  21. D

Sport Oil questions & Analysis

the synthetics are better at high temp, cold start and last a lot longer. But if you do not cold start a lot, do not commonly overheat your engine and replace your oil as scheduled then there is little to any benefit to the synthetics.
  22. D

Of course the Everest could be brought to NA, but the fines from the EPA are for average fleet mpg not individual vehicles. People who really want better off road are going to gravitate towards jeeps and real 4wd not awd. Makes little sense to through all the expense to import for very few...
  23. D

I suspect the higher clearance and lack of air dam will decrease mpg to much for new epa requirements so it is unlikely we will see it here. If jeep can fix the grand Cherokee and Cherokee most off road fans will go there. My early off road tests would indicate most buyers will be...
  24. D

Accuracy of MPG readings

Thanks for the replies. I guess I will assume it is roughly 2 mpg to high until I get a chance to measure it. I did not want to measure a few tank fills yet and calculate the mpg as I assume it is still changing a lot. I figured I'd wait for 3 to 5k miles for it to stabilize a little more
  25. D

Eco Boost vs V6 for towing

typically turbos do not really kick in until above 2000 rpm. I do agree with you the added power above 2000 rpm is a benefit. But standing start on a hill there will be no benefit. One factor why both are rated for the same 5000 lb of towing
Back