Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

grinding noise when turning left

Hello everyone, I own a 2001 Ford explorer sport - 2wd. Over the past few months, I've noticed a grinding noise when making left turns. If I'm driving straight or if I'm making right turns I don't hear any noticeable noise; it's only when I turn left. I've been trying to figure out what...
  2. R

2001 ford explorer sport suv differential fill plug

thanks...I was also reading the the use of a propane torch to heat the plug will work to unloosen the Loctite on the threads.
  3. R

over filled transmission

thanks for the suggestions.
  4. R

thanks...I tried to take the differential drain plug off with a 3/8 extension fitted into the hole, but no luck. It won't budge, and when I try to turn it with force, it started to strip the hole, so I stopped. I turned it counter-clockwise, which I assume is the right way to take off the...
  5. R

2001 ford explorer sport door latches not catching good

did you try spraying them down with wd-40?
  6. R

over filled transmission

I changed the transmission fluid and filter a couple of weeks back, and unfortunately over-filled it by one quart. I should have only put 4 quarts of fluid in there, but ended up filling in 5 quarts. I have the automatic transmission - 2 wheel drive. Is there any easy way to drain out the...
  7. R

timing chain replacement on 4.0 liter sohc

masospaghetti, Thanks for the reply. I bought my 2001 ford explorer sport from a dealership, and don't know too much about the back history of the vehicle. It seems to run great, though. As for the yellow and white sticker that appears on the valve cover, I assume that means the motor...
  8. R

are you sure that you purchased the right tensioner? Is it possible that you purchased the front tensioner and installed it on the rear cassette?
  9. R

Just wondering..but what is the part number for this motor? On my motor, on the valve cover, there is a yellow and white sticker with the following number: 1G986AA
  10. R

As far as the Cloyes set is concerned, are their plastic timing chain guides metal reinforced for the rear cassette, or is it the same lack of quality as the original Ford plastic guides?
  11. R

is there a class action lawsuit against ford on this issue? seems like there should be.
  12. R

How many miles were on your truck, rb142? My 2001 ford explorer sport has 120K miles on it..I thought about replacing the tensioners, but after reading your post, I probably shouldn't. I don't hear any rattling yet, though. I just hope the previous owner did due diligence as far as...
  13. R

I was curious: How long did it take you to move the tranny back and set the jack under the engine? When you say that you moved the tranny back, did you actually drop it down, or did you unbolt it off the fly wheel ..while unbolting a couple of other things? Is there an easy way to do this...
  14. R

why the plastic guides on timing chain?

Thanks for the replies. When I owned a rinky dink dodge neon, the timing belt jammed up on it. The tensioner had given out. I replaced the belt and tensioner; it was easy to re-time. I recall that there were marks on the camshaft/crankshafts that one could align to get the timing correct...
  15. R

I was looking at a picture of the timing chain set-up in the Hayes manual... It almost seems that if the track guides were to go, there would still be enough clearance on both sides (as long as there is still tension on the chain) to keep it from hitting the sides. Perhaps not...
  16. R

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad348/tysteel787/tens_zpsa918ffba.jpg Thanks for the response. I have an arrow pointing to it...I wonder if that's the front timing belt tensioner? It looks rather long (if it is) so perhaps it's the updated tensioner for this vehicle?
  17. R

Hello everyone, I have a question I'd like to ask: why did Ford design the timing chain for these vehicles to have plastic guides..or should I say..a plastic cassette? Especially when it's impossible to remove and replace the timing chains on these vehicles without removing the engine from...
  18. R

Hello everyone, I own a 2001 ford explorer sport suv that I recently purchased. The vehicle is a 2 wheel drive, powered from the rear wheels. Automatic transmission with a 6 cylinder motor. I was changing the transmission fluid & filter earlier today, and while under the vehicle, I had...
Back