Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Riding down the freeway

I have a 1994 Explorer gen 1 with 194K miles and it's always been a bit bouncy. This is the model that was sold with the defective Firestone tires and because I lived in the high desert I always kept the tire pressures at 32psi, not the recommended (at the time) 26 psi, so I didn't experience...
  2. J

Just purchased 1993 Ford Explorer, any maintenance I should do on it/things to be aware of?

I have a 1994 Explorer 4 door XLR with 198,000 miles and I've had it since it was new. You will enjoy yours. Check the plastic manifold that connects the Mass Air Flow sensor to the engine. Mine had a hole worn into it after the MAF which allowed too much air in and confused the engine...
  3. J

Rear wheel bering going?

I had a 'whump whump whump' noise the first year I owned my 1994 XLT. Ford said it was the Firestone tires, Firestone said it was the Ford suspension. I kept taking it back to both Ford and Firestone and Ford did everything they could -- heavy-duty motor mounts, anti-vibration kit, etc., all...
  4. J

Can I tow my 2000 Explorer Sport, 4.0L 5 speed 2 wheel drive, on a tow dolly without dropping driveshaft?

If the rear wheels are off the ground and the steering wheel is tied off, is it dangerous to tow an Explorer backwards?
  5. J

Can I tow my 2000 Explorer Sport, 4.0L 5 speed 2 wheel drive, on a tow dolly without dropping driveshaft?

Out of curiosity, why would you not tow a car backwards? I see it done all the time.
  6. J

May be Rejoining the Explorer community next week...

I have a 94 XLS 180K in just as good shape, or maybe better as it runs well. I did have to replace the fuel pump several years ago. And check the plastic air duct that runs over the radiator. Mine had a factory defect that caused a hole to wear into it and it played havoc with the MAF sensor...
  7. J

Tire replacement on 2001 Sport with 4x4

It's always best to replace all four tires when you can. I had unrepairable road damage to one of my rear tires on my 1994 4WD and Michelin no longer made a replacement tire, so I replaced both rears with the nearest Michelin equivalent. I suggested placing the new tires on the front, not the...
  8. J

Leather upgrade after purchase

I agree. I had leather seats in my 1996 Eddie Bauer and the cloth seats in my 1994 XLT were much more comfortable -- especially in the high desert where I was living at the time. The leather was burning hot in the summer and ice cold in the winter and I slid around on them on twisty mountain...
  9. J

Leaning left or right

Well, that explains it. My 1994 has leaned slightly to the left since shortly after I bought it new. It doesn't seem to cause any problems -- it just looks a little weird from behind when parked on level ground. Jonathan 1994 Ford Explorer XLT 2000 Ford Taurus SE
  10. J

A Head Scratcher...

I had to replace the ignition switch in my 94 years ago. The OEM replacement has worked well ever since. I never got around to rekeying the doors, so I have two keys now -- one for the ignition and one for everything else. I like it this way. Jonathan 1994 Explorer XLT 2000 Taurus SE
  11. J

Why?

I like my 94 Explorer because it's correctly designed to be exactly what it is -- I light 4WD truck with a short turning radius, a decent carrying capacity, good interior room, and excellent traction. And yes, it is bouncy - leaf spring suspension in the rear and a short wheelbase make sure of...
  12. J

Body damage

My insurance agent says that ANY claim on your insurance makes you a less desirable and more expensive client -- which can mean higher rates. That's not what the tell you when your buying their insurance, but we all know how trustworthy insurance companies can be. If the damage is substantial...
  13. J

Body damage

If it's just paint and trim, consider just paying for it and not getting the ding on your insurance record. A clean insurance record will save you money in the long run. Make sure your body shop know you're paying out of pocket and they won't charge you the inflated 'insurance' charges and may...
  14. J

SHOCKS

I'm on my second set of stock Motocraft shocks and they're still working with 195,000 miles on my 1994 Explorer XLT. I spent five years living on on dirt and gravel mountain roads in New Mexico and some of the miles were on rough roads at filming locations with a full load on board. The first...
  15. J

Violent shaking in the car and steering wheel

This has happened to me and after replacing an number of parts it turned out to be a slipped belt in the tire. If you take the tire off and run your hand inside the carcass you can sometimes feel the lump where the belt has moved.
  16. J

Potential ST owner

I have purchased two Fords using the X plan, but that was some years ago. We used Fords in my business and when I wanted to purchase one for myself, our Ford supplier invited me to use the X plan and gave me a PIN number to use. The X plan, I was told, was set up to encourage Ford Executives...
  17. J

Ford didn't take advice from their own engineers - I will and YOU should too

I still own a 1994 Ford Explorer I purchased new in 1993. From the very beginning the Explorer occasionally had unexpected lurches and rumbles that made it unsteady. It also had consistent rumble at speed that would go into and out of phase -- like the tires were out of balance. They weren't...
Back