Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Fredness

4R70W Upgrades for towing - Request for assistance.

Don't want to duplicate stuff, so look HERE.
  2. Fredness

2000 Eddie Bauer restoration, only to become a donor...

Couple issues, documents say J-Mod hole #8 isn't used after 1996, but the K092 and the 2000 OEM Explorer plate HAVE that hole; this is the 3-4 upshift. Factory is just under .235" (A drill), this was sized to .238" (B drill) as per docs based on the OEM size. Also the 2000 OEM plate is missing...
  3. Fredness

#7 spark plug is my favorite; easy to get to, and didn't need indexing. K092 "Super Tuff Plate" J-Mod'ed in a manner befitting a "Truck" transmission. (Used Sonnax drilling guide, 2000 OEM hole sizes, Baumann/J-Mod recommendations)
  4. Fredness

OK, the radiator fan is crap: Cracked between every blade. The coil mount was salvaged with the help of a rotary tool: Need an M5x0.8 thread chaser, as the new bolts don't want to start cleanly. And horse mats aren't as good as a concrete pad, but they're way better than rolling in the mud:
  5. Fredness

Location of transfer case fill and drain plug for 2003 Ford Explorer Sport

Obligatory "make sure the fill plug comes out before attempting to remove the drain" post.
  6. Fredness

Soaking the broken bolts of the coil mount in WD-40 and wire brushing didn't help, and I only have access to a propane torch, so it's the heat/quench method. Propane isn't enough to get the bolt "cherry red", but the paint will turn flat, and any thin spots on the threads might glow. Remove the...
  7. Fredness

APP104 plug time, indexing to have the ground strap pointing to the center between the intake and exhaust valves (12 O'Clock), closest to the cylinder head, unmasking the flame towards the center of the combustion chamber, and the exhaust valve. The improved GT40P chamber is subject to plug...
  8. Fredness

Sonnax has been SUPER helpful, turns out there are F095's (OEM Shift calibration with all Sonnax Mods and standard line pressure spring) available, just not the F095HD's (Heavy Duty). From the Lot # they found this F095 was manufactured June of 2023. We already know the next batch of F095HD's...
  9. Fredness

5R55E/Adapter Housing/Transfer Case bolts missing.

Still leaking, interviewing shops today.
  10. Fredness

Yet Another Flashing O/D (with No Codes)

Mine is the Converter. :confused:
  11. Fredness

Lifted shocks on the early Sport Trac

That looks beefier! Thanks!
  12. Fredness

Yet Another Flashing O/D (with No Codes)

Engine RPM shift detected after TCC Lockup commanded. TCC Slippage in order of cost/accessibility - NOT likelihood to fix: - Bad/failing TCC Solenoid/TCC Bracket - Bad valvebody separator plate gasket - Sonnax Mods: According to Sonnax: "TCC system, converter charge oil comes off the...
  13. Fredness

5R55E/Adapter Housing/Transfer Case bolts missing.

The "Clunk" I was hearing on our rough road (sounded like a right rear bad shock absorber) is gone now, but the trans/adapter housing is still leaking, just nowhere near as bad. Looks like we're going to take care of ALL the trans problems at once - before the swap.
  14. Fredness

Sparkplug post mortem: "+" plugs: Fire center electrode to ground strap, tend to keep their gap, platinum "fine wire" tends to burn back. "-" plugs: Fire ground strap to center electrode, platinum button burns off ground electrode tends to open up as the ground electrode gets more heat and...
  15. Fredness

Rear top, converting the top T-Bar mount to a conventional bolt-thru mount.
  16. Fredness

Front shocks already available for the 2001-2005: "Ranger 4x4"
  17. Fredness

What have we here? This appears to be one of the last Sonnax F095 valvebodies until August 2024. Verifed with Sonnax the are out of cores and don't have any in stock. "Stock on hand" from resellers was the only alternative, Summit called to tell me about their struggles and ask if I wanted to...
  18. Fredness

This can also be used for adding air shocks to your Sport Trac for dealing with loads/towing.
  19. Fredness

These Jeep TJ shock absorber brackets are available on Amazon: They bolt into the T-Bar top mount, and allow you to use Ranger/F150 shocks which actually have +2" and +4" sizes readily available. These are the Ranger +4" shocks included in the Rough Country kit. Installed: Shocks...
  20. Fredness

Here is the bumper I pulled out and "hooked" over the trim: And this is the "fatal" damage to the back (reason it was totalled): I'm sure the fact that the transmission was in "Limp Home Mode" factored in somewhere. The corner is pushed in and behind the hatch. Hatch doesn't seal, latch...
  21. Fredness

Autolite APP104 DPs - damn, are these OEM plugs?? They sure look like they've got 139,000 miles on them! Wires were changed, but it PROBABLY needed plugs too... Snapped 2 of the 8 coil pack bolts (M5x.08, 27mm), the OEM bolts are garbage; finessing them I still broke 2. I used a 1/2" impact...
  22. Fredness

Plugs 1-4: Plugs 5-8: Plugs are numbered, but I need a feeler gauge to check the gaps. All plugs were APP104 Double Platinums 1-4 had their platinum electrodes on the center, but not the ground. 5-8 were bad, 7 was the only one with a Platinum button, and the gaps were crazy. The DS...
  23. Fredness

Yes, but I start under the hood and work towards the load(s).
Back