Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Hose on rear axle

rear axle vent hose I just discovered a broken off piece of hose clipped to the frame rail of my '91 Ranger and discovered the other end (about 1 inch long) clamped to the rear axle housing fitting. The fitting was completely plugged up. I finally was able to open the hole in the vent to a...
  2. J

Clicking when accelerating?

I would also check for exhaust manifold leak.
  3. J

1991 Ranger RABS

I am still looking for a solution to a problem with the ABS light. It stays on any time the ignition is on. (This truck has ABS on rear axle only - RABS) I can tell that the ABS does not work because the brakes will lock up and squeal one of the rear brakes on a hard brake application. The...
  4. J

Intermintant ABS light & break failure

Thanks for the information.
  5. J

Intermintant ABS light & break failure

What is a "gravity bleed"? (I have not been able to solve my ABS light on my '91 Ranger) --Rear ABS only. I have plenty of time, not money. Thanks.:D
  6. J

How do you reset ABS light

Rear axle ABS light on 1991 Ranger How do you check/reset the ABS light on a 1991 Ranger? It has ABS on the rear axle only.:eek:
  7. J

No Reverse on A4ld, Everything Else Works

A4LD reverse slow to engage 1991 ranger 3.0L Reverse gear is still slow to engage. It will always engage eventually-- within 10 to 30 seconds-- and then with a clunk and jerk. I have done all the things suggested-- valve body kit, changed oil to Mercon V, installed new D rings, etc. Is it...
  8. J

A4LD losing fluid from vent tube

A4LD fluid change I will do that. Is there any problem adding the new fluid with the truck still on the ramps?:salute:
  9. J

A4LD losing fluid from vent tube

A4LD adding fluid Brooklyn Bay; I'm changing the fluid and filter in my '91 Ranger with A4LD and 3.0L. So I should add the new fluid from the beginning with the engine running? Thanks.:D
  10. J

How do you reset ABS light

Reset ABS light I have an ABS light that stays on. This is a 1991 Ranger with rear ABS only. I am reluctant to short the + and - battery cables together for fear of damaging something else. Am I right or wrong?
  11. J

My 92 XLT has paint problems

A new HVLP gun is about $20 at Harbour Freight and works pretty good.
  12. J

How do you remove stain on driver side window[photo included]

That looks like scratches from inside of the door. Try to remove it with a single edge razor blade and rub thoroughly with lacquer thinner. Don't let the lacquer thinner get on your paint. Tom.
  13. J

Tire Styles

Tires I like my Firestone Destination LE's. Jeep Grand Cherokee. Just a RWD.
  14. J

How do you not have rusty fenders?

Join us in East Texas (Longview/Tyler) and forget about rust. 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 1991 Ford Ranger with NO rust, not even surface rust!
  15. J

Solved I'm back, she won't start again :)

The usual suspect would be the ignition switch. Test for power at the starter solenoid with switch turned to "start".
  16. J

A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Journal - Reassembly (w/pics)

Thanks, BB. I hate it when I get opposite recommendations from two different respected sources! It's back on me now. I have always followed BB's recommendations in the past, and will ultimately follow his this time too. Just want to consider all the options. BTW, what effect would it have to...
  17. J

A4LD Valve Body Rebuild Journal - Reassembly (w/pics)

a4ld reverse servo springs I know this is an old thread, but it still has a lot of good information on the a4ld reverse problems. I have installed the Transgo kit and still have the delayed reverse shift. I am getting ready to drop the pan and change the fluid and filter again and new...
  18. J

Underbody corrosion / protection

In the US the Lowe's stores sell a spray paint called "rust reformer", I don't remember who is the manufacturer. Also, check Eastwood auto products online. I have used these products restoring MGB's, Triumph, and Morris (the worst). Good luck. Tom.
  19. J

Starting, and electrical issues.

Bob covered it all.
  20. J

a4ld reverse servo big spring delete

I still have delayed shift and clunk when going into reverse on my 1991 Ranger a4ld. I'm getting ready to drop the pan and change the oil and filter again in hopes it will help this time. I will use new D-ring servo seals again to be sure I didn't damage them last time I did this. I have...
  21. J

Reverse servo cover torque Did you mean reverse solenoid or reverse servo cover torque? What is the proper torque to use for the servo cover? I believe it should be 90 in/lbs. What is the proper torque for valve body bolts and pan bolts? Which reverse servo piston rings are best for...
  22. J

A4ld reverse engagement delay My apologies to Kennedy1995, I did not intend to hijack his thread. Maybe between us we can solve our problems with the A4ld. Anyway, my thanks also to James for the information. I did install the Transgo kit, installed new solenoids, new reverse servo D-rings...
  23. J

Reverse servo seals to use? I installed Transgo valve body kit and new D-ring seals. Still takes up to 60 seconds to engage reverse, with a SERIOUS clunk, then works ok. Everything else works fine. Do I need a new reverse servo and which seals? Any other suggestions? Thanks...Tom.
Back