Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. P

Gen 2 prop shaft, starter and more on ebay

I've been a forum member for years but had to say goodbye to my Explorer about a year ago - engine blew. Doing some spring cleaning and have a few items listed on ebay. Not trying to get rich, make offer if you can use. Prop shaft - excellent shape, barely used...
  2. P

Gibson Cat Back on sale at Amazon!

Just wanted to give a heads up that I just got a new STAINLESS Gibson catback from my 4.0 OHV 1996 for $186!!! pn 619686 That's $100 less than the best price I found on the aluminized version. Don't know what's going on, but it appears someone is blowing these out... They still have a...
  3. P

Best Shocks

Bilsteins are great. I ran Gabriels before popping for the Bilstein. They were ok, good budget shock but not much damping. Bilsteins are firm without jolting.
  4. P

Camshaft sensor alignment tool

Hi, If anyone needs one, I've got a new in package OTC camshaft sensor alignment tool over on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/290911838109?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649 I bought when I put my Comp Cam in but the cam came with the tool. Don't need two...
  5. P

Front end help with rumble noise

Pulled the driveshaft back out and noise went away - or at least I didn't notice it anymore. Checked for pinion bearing play - none. No leaks at pinion seal. Checked for transfer case output shaft play - none. No noticeable leaks there either. Checked the wheel hubs (which are relatively...
  6. P

Front end help with rumble noise

I'm trying to fix a rumble noise that I have on my 96 Explorer. It's coming from the front end. I've been driving without a front driveshaft because I took it off last winter because I couldn't stand the rumble and vibration on the highway anymore. When I pulled the shaft the rumble and...
  7. P

4r55e help please

Resolution Took half a day yesterday, pulled the valve body back out, went through everything. I found two mistakes, even though I was careful and took my time the first time through. 1. I had one checkball in the wrong spot 2. There were two small pieces of gasket material that I somehow...
  8. P

4r55e help please

Separator plate question After some more thought, I remembered I replaced the separator plate with a bonded plate that I was told was the one to use (again by my local trans shop). However, since I have a 96 with a 4r55e, they never came with a bonded gasket plate, they always came with...
  9. P

4r55e help please

Green epc in, better shifts but still no OD There was a shipping mixup at 800700 Tran, finally got my green band epc. Just finished installing. While I was in there I swapped out the filter also. Gave SS3 a click test and clearly heard it engaging. Took for a test drive. I was experiencing...
  10. P

4r55e help please

Update Ok, so have been driving around without OD. No flashing OD light. Only the one trouble code for SS3. So today had some time and did some more diagnostics, while I'm waiting for my green epc from 700800 Transmission. Adjusted the bands. I was able to get to the 120 in/lb on both...
  11. P

4r55e help please

Think it's the EPC (or at least need to remove that as a possibility) because of all the posts on the forum that say you can't run a red band epc in a 1996 4R55E valve body. Even though some places on line and a trusted transmission shop locally said it's an update for that application. There...
  12. P

4r55e help please

Update, and additional questions Back together, checked and re-torqued valve body. Filled with fluid. On test drive, shifted normally through 3rd. Can't get OD for the life of me. Took out on freeway and transmission never shifter into OD. Played with the OD on/off - no difference in rpm...
  13. P

4r55e help please

Ok, I've spent hours reading and can't the specific answer to a question I have: would a red band epc in a 4r55e prevent shift into OD? History: The transmission is about 3 years old with less than 50K on it. I had the flex plate frag on me so purchased a new one from Ford. Already had...
  14. P

410 cam install - retune required?

I have a 1996 explorer with a 4.0 OHV. I've modified the engine with a low restriction intake (KKM) and exhaust (Flowmaster). I've added the BBK throttle body. I have a set of tunes from Bamachips that include a 93 performance tune which I run all the time. Last year I had to replace...
  15. P

Rear main seal - oops

Looking for any advice I can get on the absolute correct way to install the rear main seal. This will be my second attempt - argh. Background: I had the engine out for a top end rebuild (4.0 OHV). Replaced the heads, valvetrain, cam, timing set, oil pump and all gaskets. It runs like a top...
  16. P

Question for those needing a lower steering shaft for an Explorer.

follow this path in the above URL - you will see you can buy them separately: Steering Column/Shaft and Internal Components/Mainshaft I'm confused because in some illustrations it looks like there are three shafts - upper, lower and intermediate. In others there is only the upper and lower...
  17. P

Well if you consider swapping out the lower shaft, u joint, intermediate shaft and connector is easily $500 new, you can probably replace with bone yard parts ten times for the same money. Only question is how long they last before you do it again... How much time is it to change out the...
  18. P

What did you end up doing? I'm in the same boat, was wondering how you resolved this. thanks
  19. P

OHV rear main seal question

I am going to be pulling my engine for some major updates: heads, cam, oil pump and pan gasket, rear main seal, etc. I have the Ford rear main seal kit with the metal sleeve (and the tool to install it). But since the oil pan will be off anyway, am I better off using that or pulling the end...
  20. P

OHV motor mounts

Any trick to getting the motor mounts off a 1996 4.0 OHV? It's a 4x4 and it looks to me like I have to drop the front diff in order to get at the lower bolt. thanks.
  21. P

Replaced hubs and hum turned into squeak!

follow up - one year later stale thread I know, but fwiw, it's been quiet since 4/08, now it's almost 7/09, and that's through a long cold Minnesota winter as well. fingers crossed...
  22. P

96 OHV engine removal question

1996 4.0 OHV 4x4 I'm probably going to be removing my engine. (oil pan gasket, rear main seal, 410 cam, new heads, new lifters). Alldata says that I have to fully discharge and disconnect the air conditioning system to do so. Looks like the compressor is right in the way. Question: can I...
  23. P

Difference between California and Federal emissions 4.0 OHV?

Thanks for the info. It is strange then though that both Rock Auto and Fast Parts Network list different cams for this application depending on whether it's California emissions or not. I guess bottom line is that I'm thinking of putting in the 410 cam and wondering whether I'd see an even...
  24. P

Difference between California and Federal emissions 4.0 OHV?

Ok, I've searched all over here and even at manufacturers websites and can't find this info. Does anyone know the actual difference between a California emissions 4.0 OHV and a Federal (49 state) emissions one? 1996 year. When I go to Rock Auto, they list two different camshafts based on...
  25. P

Blend door or blend door motor issue?

Thanks all. Looks like it's not too much trouble to pull the blend door actuator and check for proper function. I'll do that first and then cut the hole in the bottom of the plenum to get at that darn door. :salute:
Back