Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

Ford Lawsuit yields 350 mil

I hate to say this, because I love my X, but I've actually seen the documents and memo's that were taken from Ford concerning rollovers and understeer. It's kinda scary to tell you the truth. They were in a book I happened to pick up and read at Borders while I was wasting some time. Ford...
  2. 9

Erratic Speedometer and flashing O/D light

No, sorry, no pics. If you want to check the sensor out, it's pretty easy. Find your tranfer case. On the backside of it, the VSS is the topmost sensor. Remove 1 nut and the sensor comes off. It's high enough up on the case that you shouldn't even lose any fluild.
  3. 9

Follow up- I pulled the VSS. The plastic gear on it was damaged. Some of the teeth were very badly worn causing it to malfunction. I replaced the gear ($5.50) and replaced the sensor just to be safe ($35.00). Problem solved! I also checked with a Ford mechanic and found out that...
  4. 9

Last night I noticed my speedo was bouncing around a bit from 55-60 mph on my 95 sport 4.0 4x4. Today, after about 30 min of driving, it really started acting up. Sometimes, while doing 40 or so mph, it will drop to 0 and stay there. Now, the O/D light has started flashing (12 times if...
  5. 9

Bad smell from Air Conditioner

Yes, your ac can develop mold in the ducts that smells like crap. They make a disinfectant that you can use to get rid of it. It's more or less an industrial Lysol. I don't remember the name of it but you can probably ask in a part store. Try a search on it. There was a post not to long...
  6. 9

Oil Pan Bolt

I've seen those Sure Drain bolts, looks like it would take FOREVER to drain. Is this the case?
  7. 9

Boot on Tie-Rod End

Hmm, the quick fix....Do nothing. You could just pump some fresh grease in there every now and then, but you're not in any immediate danger. I served in the Army for 9 years and worked with humvee's and bradelys. If I had a dollar for every blown boot over the years that we waited 6 months...
  8. 9

Good Aftermarket Brake Pad???

If you do any towing, your best bet would be to get some heavy duty metalic pads. Brembo makes some that would fit your needs, and they are a very big name in brakes. They also run about the same price as the Quiet stop pads. I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think the quiet stop may have...
  9. 9

Oil Pan Bolt

I can't tell you right off hand, but what I like to do is run by Ford, tell then that I'd like to price something. Then I say thanks and , "Oh, what size is that anyway?" They tell me and then I go, "Hmm, really, course or fine thread?" It's not pretty, but it works. Then it's off to the...
  10. 9

Good Aftermarket Brake Pad???

I'm pretty happy with my Raybestos Quiet Stop pads. Front pair ran me $62 at pepboys. They're ceramic pads which is suppose to not only reduce noise but also reduce brake dust. I've only had them on for 2 weeks, so I can't give you a long term evaluation on them. So far, they're quiet...
  11. 9

Pinion Seal Leak...

It couldn't hurt to replace the nut. But I never have in the past. As far as proper torque, I usually just use german torque specifications. Goot-and-tight. LoL. Seriously, if you have a torque wrench, use it! I don't so I just set my impact to max ( about 120 ft-lbs) and snug the bolt...
  12. 9

Pinion Seal Leak...

Ok. Not sure on the size socket you'll need. You should have a 8.8 rear end. The mustang uses an 8.8 also, and if they are the same on the inside, the pinion nut is 1 inch. It's really an easy fix. If you know what you're doing, it's a 30 min job, tops. If you're brand new at it, maybe...
  13. 9

Pinion Seal Leak...

This is a very easy fix. Some tools you'll need: seal puller, impact, 2 jaw puller, large sockets (the pinion nut on the front dif of my 95 was 1 1/8 inch) You didn't mention if this was a front or rear diff seal. It it's a front, make sure you have some torq bits (sometimes they are...
  14. 9

Battery cable routing

Hartman, the pos and neg cable both run down to the starter. There is a small gauge wire that splits off the neg wire to ground immediately after leaving the battery.
  15. 9

Need to know how the heater control valve connects

I got it from Pepboys. The part that the vacuum line connects to is plastic.
  16. 9

Really dumb question (part?)

Sallad420, LOL too funny!!! haha
  17. 9

Need to know how the heater control valve connects

Ok, here's the deal. I had to replace the heater control valve because it was leaking. I think I might have connected the hoses up wrong. It's a 95 X with the control valve that has 2 inlets and 2 outlets. If someone could tell me: On the fire wall, does the left hose go to the top or...
  18. 9

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I own a 95 sport 4x4. I just got my personal best, 19.2 mpg. This was mostly city driving and for the most part, never exceding 2500 rpms. Aldive, after reading all your posts, my question to you is, have you actually started to save money, or are you still behind the power curve with all...
  19. 9

Belt tension pulley

I just replaced mine yesterday. Took it in for a recall on the sway bar links and the mechanic noticed the tensioner was coming apart. I have 144k on my X. I guess those things are only good for about that. I was probably very close to having the same thing happen.
  20. 9

Key pad code

Yeah, I found my codes alright. I was just mentioning that if you didn't feel like digging around looking and had a 96 or newer, Ford should be able to tell you.
  21. 9

Key pad code

I went to Ford the other day about my key codes. I had the same problem, bought the X used and didn't know where to find the codes. The guy at the parts desk was ready to give me the code....Until they found out that it was a 95. They told me that they could pull the codes out of their...
  22. 9

obd 1 code reader

I've got one that I bought to read the codes on my old 89 Mustang GT. While poking around the engine compartment on my 95 explorer sport, I noticed that they both used the EEC-IV brain-box so I slapped my code reader to the connections and pulled the codes in the key on engine off mode. The...
  23. 9

Vibrations

Thanks, I was thinking about that as I was tightning them back up. I just didn't feel like heading to the auto store. Guess I stop by the store tomarrow.
  24. 9

Vibrations

Bingo, the driveshaft bolts closest to the transmission were loose. All 4 were backed out atleast 1/2 way!! Talk about an accident waiting to happen. While I was under there, I noticed that I had a junk yard driveshaft from a 96 explorer (96 explorer written in bold yellow paint was the give...
  25. 9

Vibrations

Hey guys, I just got a 95 explorer sport. When I took a test drive everything was fine, but a day after I bought it I noticed a vibration. From 0 to 35 mph there is no vibration what-so ever. If I keep my foot on the gas, nothing shows up until about 60 mph. However, if I let off the gas at...
Back