Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

those with the sohc

Can anyone give me any more info on this topic. I believe my truck has early symptoms of this problem, it makes kinda the same noise...right around 3,000rpm, and only when its colder. As soon as the engine warms I can't notice the noise at all. Its an '01 with 54,000 miles, I've looked at...
  2. D

Just got back from towing trip..

I have good news and well a question or two. I've had my ex for about a month now and definitely am loving it. I bought the ex for a few main reasons, mostly due to the price of gas I went with the sohc 4L, I do some moderate towing about a half of dozen times a year. Moderate I mean less...
  3. D

Rear Hatch Glass scratched....help

Well stopped by the glass company today, they said they can't do anything about scratches on the back since it is tempered glass and it can shatter so easily. If it was the front it is coated and actually layered. With that being said I went home today and bid on the one I found on ebay, with...
  4. D

I might have to check a glass place out just to see if its an option. Its not real severe, but I do know I can feel it with my nail when I run it across so I know its definitly in the glass. I guess the worst part is since the window is the privacy glass it appears almost like a clear or semi...
  5. D

I just bought my '01 4dr Explorer a month ago and upon washing it yesterday I noticed a line on the back window glass. I thought it was just a dirt line as I see this all the time, but it is actually a scratch, its about 1/4" in width and is pretty much where the bottome of the wiper wipes...
  6. D

Narrowed the new truck decision down...

Well I got it on Wed., very nice truck, much improvement over my old EB. I already discovered it did come towing equipped, as I found the wiring harness tucked up under the bumper, and in the rear cover inside I found the mounting plate for the harness. I will say much more power then my old...
  7. D

New to forum, first time Explorer Owner...

Wow...I found my first post here on the forum, almost 1yr ago. Well just a year later I've found myself enjoying my explorer so much that I traded it in for a newer one. Just bought a 2001 4dr XLS 4x4, much nicer then the old EB, and I will say even though it has just the SOHC V6, it like...
  8. D

I didn't realize the running boards were metal...hmm...they look almost plastic or plastic coated...where were yours rusting at....
  9. D

Yah you gotta love the ads they do, I really appreciate all your honest opinions in this forum, everyone has really helped me out alot here. Its just easier to talk with guys who know all about this stuff then trying to talk to my gf about it...lol....thanks again!!
  10. D

There are a few other trucks I've looked at, but they are either private owner or some no name dealership....in my loan contract to be financed it has to be a franchised dealership, one that is liscensed by ford, chevy, etc to sell new and used vehicles, kinda cuts my options way down. I really...
  11. D

I agree that the old OHV design has been proven, even my old '93 pulled my trailer with little effort on flat lands. On some extreme hills I think the most I lost was 10mph, but after that it would hold pretty steady, so I'm still set on the SOHC being a bit stronger which should be adequate...
  12. D

I've looked through lots of auto trader's....I originally was looking at something with a few more miles, but its really tough to get financing for certain miles sometimes and still keep your payments low. The finance company I finally went with gave me a good deal, but the vehicle has to be a...
  13. D

I guess I would consider a V8 if there were more of them out there, but in my area its really tough to find any at all with V8's, at least in my price range. I did forget to mention that at the most I will be towing that much weight about 2x a year and its more like 3k lbs, and maybe about 5...
  14. D

Went to a dealership and found a 2001 Explorer 4door xls 4x4 today, and seriously considering buying next week. It only has the 4L v6 but it is the SOHC which I could tell was more peppy then my old '93. I was gonna sell my truck outright but they offered $1000 bucks trade on my '93 which I...
  15. D

Shopping for a new truck, advice needed!!

I currently have a '93 Eddie Bauer 4x4, still runs decent but will be needing some work. I would rather just buy a new truck since I do some towing and need a bit more towing power. I'm guessing my max towing will be somewhere around 4,000lbs...I've towed around 3,000 with my current truck...
  16. D

4wd manual Warn locking hubs

I know the inner one isn't too tight, and well I torqued them according to the specs ..except the specs for the outer nut say 80-130 ftlbs which could be anything in between. Also they haven't made any noise for 2 weeks until just now...so I figured if they were too tight it would have been...
  17. D

4wd manual Warn locking hubs

Okay, I hope you guys can give me some good input on this problem as I really don't know what the problem is. I recently converted my auto hubs to warn manual, changed the spindle nuts, the whole works. Well in the process of changing I noticed the rotors were shot, so the following week I...
  18. D

warn hubs

Try looking on www.amazon.com I just bought mine, very quick shipping and a great price, total with socket was like 192 or something total for Warn hubs. Kinda disappointed the socket comes from one of their sellers, so it still hasn't arrived yet, but I needed them this weekend so I bought...
  19. D

Spindle Nut Conversion, what do I need?

I'm planning on buying the warn manual hubs to convert over from my auto on my '93 explorer. I understand there is a conversion kit I need to buy. My question is are they all the same, like if I buy Warn hubs vs the Mile Markers, is it the same kit. I found these on ebay...
  20. D

Lost transfer case fluid, can't refill...

Thanks for all the info guys, helped out alot. Thanks for the visual DeRocka, that was a great animation. Drove my truck over to my dad's house today, only about 12miles, figured it couldn't hurt it that much. Didn't make any noises or anything. Anyways, he looked at it and said, yep it is...
  21. D

So even in 2wd the transfer case's internal chain still moves along will all the gears also? Guess I'm just wondering how it works since the top fill plug is actually lower then the top of the axle shaft used for 2wd, meaning this axle never really is submersed in fluid, just the front shaft...
  22. D

Here's the deal, on my '93 4wd Explorer, I was attempting to change the transfer case fluid. I went by what the hayes manual said and it was a mistake since they never mentioned being a drain plug as well as a fill plug I assumed they were the same like the front differential. After loosening...
  23. D

Front diff noise, please help...

Well all done, took about 4 hours of my day, but that included an hour to go and find the seal. Local auto parts store weren't much help on this one. Ended up getting it from the Ford dealer, who I was suprised was very helpful and friendly. Knew exactly which seal it was. I looked at my...
  24. D

Thanks for all the help. My dad agreed to help me take on this project so I will be doing this tomorrow...Should be a great learning experience...I'll let you know how it all goes.
  25. D

Well did a little more research today on my problem..bought some diff fluid and poured it in. After about a half a bottle it starting pouring right out. From what I can see it is coming from the drivers side around where the axle comes out so most likely my guess is a seal. How hard is it to...
Back