Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. W

Unbeliveable dealer response

It should have been fixed MUCH sooner and without all the hassle. Shame on Ford.
  2. W

Foul Smell in Cabin From Vents / AC

Because it was documented before your warranty expired you should still be covered under warranty on that particular issue until it is fixed. Also, since it has been there three times you may qualify for lemon law (varies a lot state to state). I'd contact FORD directly since the dealer is...
  3. W

Explorer/Pilot - Assistance?

We are in the market for a new vehicle, narrowed it down to the 2014 Ex and CX-9, with the Ex probably what we'll go with because of its towing ability. It does seem like you need to be careful on delivery to make sure everything is in order as build quality seems to be hit and miss. I...
  4. W

2015 Ford Explorer Order Guide & Changes

19" standard with 22" as an option?! Holy cow. One of the reasons I am not interested in the Sport is the larger tires (rougher ride, more expensive to replace, hard to find some times in longer tread life options).
  5. W

New guy new car new problems. ugh

Thanks that helps clarify exactly what it is doing. So anyone have problems pulling a boat out of the water at a boat landing?
  6. W

So even if you have it set to the sand setting, lets say, it will only activate the back wheels if it senses the need to?
  7. W

Is this just while in 4WD? Also, these models are FWD when not in 4WD, correct (vs. RWD like you'd see in trucks)?
  8. W

Switching to Synthetic Motor Oil

You might want to check out www.bobistheoilguy.com. It is a forum dedicated pretty much to motor oil. :salute: Going synthetic in the standard 6 cyl engine would be not only fine, but smart. Synthetic oils shear less, handle fuel dilution better, and can be used for longer intervals. You...
  9. W

Burning smell on test drive 2014

A week or so ago we test drove a 2014 XLT with the standard V6. There was a very strong burning smell on my wife's test drive. It was really noticeable when we were stopped (no air flow). A few days before that I was at a different dealership and test drove a different 2014 XLT (same engine)...
  10. W

Would you buy again?

Definitely looks like there are some things to look out for. That seems to be the thing: not a lot of people have issues, but there are definitely some quality control issues to be found with these Explorers, even in the fourth model year of the new design. Just for kicks I stopped in a...
  11. W

Would you buy again?

That stinks. I've heard of the exhaust in the cabin smell issue. Is that the same as the "catalytic converter burning in" smell, or are those different? There was a very strong burning smell on my wife's test drive. It didn't happen on mine (two different dealerships). The one salesman said...
  12. W

Would you buy again?

Right now there is 0% for 60 months or $2000 cash back for March on the Ex. I don't imagine as we get closer to the "refreshed" 2015s coming out that the deals will get WORSE. Especially if they do short-term (week-long vs. the typical month-long offers) deals around Memorial Day or 4th of...
  13. W

Would you buy again?

Went and the wife test drove one last night. She really liked it. I think we both like the Ex better than the CX-9. Seems most people would re-buy, and those that have said they wouldn't haven't given reasons why. According to TrueCar the prices have dropped a fair amount recently. I'd...
  14. W

Would you buy again?

Those that have had problems: what type of problems and what year Explorer do you have? One of the things I like about he Ex and CX-9 is they are currently 4 and 8 years into their life cycle, and usually by year 3 the bugs are worked out.
  15. W

Would you buy again?

Looks like a lot of people like the Sport. We might drive it when ready to buy, but it might be more expensive than we want to pay. I just took a look around local dealers web sites and it seems like a basic Sport with just the tow package is hard to find, all of them are pretty loaded up...
  16. W

Would you buy again?

Does the second row (with the bench seat, not buckets) slide? I can't seem to remember. Also didn't sit in the third row. Is it roomy enough for, say a 5'6" 150 female (I know it would be small for a 6'4" 250 lb guy). I also found out the standard 290 HP engine is port injected, not...
  17. W

Would you buy again?

Thanks for all the replies! Yesterday I drove the Explorer and liked it pretty well. Today the wife and I both went to check it out (we were near another Ford dealer in town doing errands this evening). She didn't drive it because it was really windy and that would take away from paying...
  18. W

Would you buy again?

Thanks for all the responses so far. If anyone else has any, please add to the discussion. Odrapnew: That's a lot of info. So basically they are both good. Thanks for not helping. LOL! j/k. That info. is extremely helpful. Two questions for you: - how is cargo room between...
  19. W

Would you buy again?

So we're in the market for a new three row SUV over the next few months. I test drove several and think I've narrowed it down to the Explorer (4WD XLT with tow and navigation packages), and Mazda CX-9 (AWD Touring). If you went back in time, you would buy your 5th generation Explorer...
Back