Interior

3. Exterior

Exterior

4. Engine & Performance

Engine & Performance

Charts & Graphs
  5. B

A New Old Member looking to buy again

Thanks. The '02 Mounty V6 AWD was nice, although the owner could not get to where it was while we were there, so i could not start it. The rear bumper had some minor "can live with it" damage but was otherwise in decent shape. The interior stunk, but i couldn't tell if it was the nasty Yankee...
  6. B

Thanks Al. We're heading out to look at a 2002 Mountaineer AWD right now. 84,000mi and $9k, but through a private party, so he should be able to be broiught down some.
  7. B

I'd assume the SOHC V6 but not sure...i haven't even seen that one. She just told me about the mileage. EDIT: MODS, if you want to move this somewhere else, go for it...i didn't know where to put this since it covers two generations of Explorers.
  8. B

What's up guys. I dumped my 96 Explorer XLT (Centaurus Conversion Package) when i bought my Impala SS and now i'm considering getting (my wife) back into an SUV. She found 2 Explorers locally and I'd like your input. There's a 2001 XLT with 50,000 on the clock for $10k, and a 2002 with...
  9. B

Need balljoints for the '99... confused on MOOG parts...

If you haven't done this already, just go with the more expensive/wider ranging camber kit - if for some reason (down the line) your alignment is really outta spec, the latter of the 2 camber kits will allow for more adjustment...and for only $12 more when it's all said and done. Will you...
  10. B

Yeah, that's right - the DriverSide is one piece, a V-shape and includes the bushings (see pic on right above). The 2-pc PassSide includes the ball joint & arm (see lower pic above) PLUS the control arm part with the bushings (not pictured). The ball joint & arm bolts to the control arm on the...
  11. B

Anyone have Satellite Radio?

If anyone's interested, i've got a Pioneer XM setup (HU & Tuner) for sale - linked in my sig.
  12. B

Unless you KNOW you need the bushings on the right upper, just get the 1-pc RH upper. If you take a look at your X, you'll notice that the unit in the lowermost pic actually bolts to another "control arm" that actually connects to the frame. That is what the 2-pc design looks like.
  13. B

Anyone have Satellite Radio?

I had XM through my Pioneer headunit/tuner in my X and loved it. When i got rid of the X and bought the Impala without it, i went through withdrawl. I just had an aftermarker XM Commander installed temporarily until the plug-n-play tuners become available for the new Impala. I do agree...
  14. B

What i dumped the X for...

Considering the fact that she brings in considerably more than i do and ultimately makes the payments, i didn't really put up a fight. In the end, i, too, wanted something with a warranty. I was sick of Fixing Or Repairing Daily and needed to get out from under the Explorer. Anyway, i'm...
  15. B

I couldn't get the wife to go used, but the Maurader was in my sights too! It came down the the Charger, Magnum and the Impala, but financially i couldn't swing the Hemi, so i opted for the 5.3L SS. The fusion is butt-ugly and has no ooomph, and the 500 is the new granddaddy car, so i had to...
  16. B

ball joints?????help

To alleviate this problem, there should be a "useful thread" listing "reasonable prices" for common repairs, like ball joints and such. Whattaya think, mods?
  17. B

ball joints?????help

FWIW - uppers are expensive but real easy to do yourself if you're even SOMEwhat handy. The lowers are much cheaper but a PITA.
  18. B

IAC or Alternator?

Remember, regardless of where you buy it, you will most likely have the $50+/- core charge. Don't try to save $10 at rockauto if you have to spend $15-20 to ship it back to them. Good luck!
  19. B

Parking Brake Pads Question

If you didn't bother with the adjuster in the first place, that would lead to an improperly operating e-brake in the long run. It's what makes the shoes expand just enough to reach the "hat in a drum" part of the rotor.
  20. B

Stuck in the muck

Is it me or does the titan look like the F150s from a year or two ago (from the side - one of the signitures)
  21. B

Parking Brake Pads Question

No, you don't need to remove the shaft. It's a b!tch to get at the required spring-clips or whatever the hell they're called, but doable. First, remove the springs that stretch across the upper and lower parts of the shoes - a needlenose pliers should work here. You can now push/pull each...
  22. B

IAC or Alternator?

Well, from what you describe i'd say Alternator...head to AutoZone and have them test it for you. Prepare to drop $180 for a new one...$130 once you return the old one ($50 (?) core charge) It's a really easy repair if you're at ALL handy with simple hand tools.
  23. B

Yeah, i know about the crank/whp difference. She moves real well. The mileage sucks as bad as the X, due to the fact that i spend all my time in the city, driving to the next stopsign/light. If i ever get a chance to take a road trip, that's when we'll see if DOD is worth it. As far as the...
  24. B

Clunking in front end

Yes they do, but you'll find that on your model year, it's a PITA to fix the problem. Your torsion bar adjusters are just hunks of metal that sit into sockets with pads attached to the frame. 97 and earlier had pads glued to the adjusters that wore out over time. They require adjuster...
  25. B

ABS light on...how bad?

I think you're talking a about the airbag light - the ABS does not do this. If it DOES, you're the only one on the forum that has had this happen ;)
Back