Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Shaking, Shuddering, Juddering in Reverse only. 2004 Explorer XLT 5R55S

Thanks for the reply... I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure it's the transmission as it coincided with the arrival of a somewhat hard shift into reverse. I had a feeling it wasn't going to be an easy/cheap fix. I do have another 2004 XLT that runs fine, so a valve body swap can be done (just...
  2. J

Shaking, Shuddering, Juddering in Reverse only. 2004 Explorer XLT 5R55S

I've been searching for a day and cant find anyone with my exact symptoms. Any help would be err,,, helpful. 2004 Explorer XLT 2wd with 5R55S transmission, 125k miles,,, Florida car I've had from new,,, never given me any trouble other than regular maintenance and a couple of wheel bearings...
  3. J

A/C Leaking r134a,,,, but I can't find the leak,, even with UV dye.

Thanks for all the advice btw,,, I appreciate it,,,, about to go borrow a sniffer from a friend.
  4. J

Has anyone had any luck with these sealant products? I figure if it takes a month to lose charge,,, it must be a fairly minor leak.
  5. J

Yes Sir,,, caps in place,, no leaks on either side,, or along any of the lines,,, dryer & compressor totally clean too.
  6. J

The blower? lol,, where is that exactly? and how do I remove it. :)
  7. J

Crack on right side of radiator

I'd locate the leak from the outside and JB weld it rather than use additives that could mess with cooling lines in the engine,,, may or may not work on a pressurized system,,, probably worth a try though. If the worst comes to the worst,,, radiators are relatively cheap and easy to change,
  8. J

2004 Explorer XLT 2wd My refrigerant is going somewhere,,, a full charge lasts about a month,,,, compressor works fine when the system is charged. I recharged the system and put dye in today,,, blowing ice cold during a 30 minute drive,,, but afterwards,,,, could not find a trace of a leak in...
  9. J

5R55W Fluid Fill

OK,,, I did drop the pan so I get plenty out,,,, I think I just misread another post. Cheers.
  10. J

5R55W Fluid Fill

Just drained mine on my 04 XLT V6 SOHC,,,, bit messy but thanks to this thread,,, it went smoothly. Car has 106k miles and as far as I know this is the first trans fluid change (I've had it since 45k miles),,, fluid looked great,,, still nice and purple and didn't smell burnt. I do have one...
  11. J

2004 4.0 V6 Loud Click in Engine Bay *updated* *video*

OK,, I kinda figured it out,,, I forgot the a/c engages when the knob in the car is set to windshield defrost,, which it was. I'll charge the system as previously suggested.... I can live with the loud clutch for now.
  12. J

Thanks for the info,,,, forgive my ignorance,, but why would it keep doing that every 10 seconds when the A/C is turned off?
  13. J

Thanks Boominxplorer ,,, I posted a video above,,, definitely something to do with the compressor.
  14. J

Howdy, My 2004 Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 w/ 80k miles has developed a loud CLICK every 15 or so seconds in the engine bay,,, it looks like the A/C compressor is acting weird. The compressor can be seen in the following video: https://youtu.be/8_R5pI6HdeQ As you can see,, it turns...
  15. J

Starter shennanigans - 2004 XLT **RESOLVED**

He didn't seem to have a clue. I can only think that the AAA guy that came out was too slow when he swapped-in the new battery he was trying very hard to sell me. Of course when it didn't start I told him he could keep it! Other than that,,, I dunno,,, maybe my constantly cranking a...
  16. J

Welp,,,, I'm $125 poorer but the car is running again. Took the locksmith less than 5 minutes to reprogram the PCM or whatever it is.
  17. J

Yes Sir. I have an Auto Locksmith coming in the morning,,, hopefully that will be the end of it,,,, will update then.
  18. J

OK,,, so I replaced the starter,,, turned the ignition key,,,,, zip,, NADA,, just like before. Got under the car and jumped the starter with a screwdriver (with the wife turning the ignition key) and it turned over just fine, but the engine still wouldn't fire. I tried one last time,,, and...
  19. J

Thanks gents,,, will install a new starter tomorrow,,,, if it doesn't fix the problem,, I'll be back with an update. Cheers
  20. J

Thanks turdle,,,, so why do you think the starter jumps when attached to a booster but not when it's on the car? Is the cog thing supposed to spin really fast?
  21. J

Howdy, I'll start off admitting to being a tool for not fixing this sooner,, so that's out of the way,,,,, For the past month or so, my 04 Explorer XLT has struggled to start,,, it always started on the 3rd or 4th turn of the key,, but the turn-over of the starter motor seemed slow and...
Back