Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

Need advice on new Sport Purchase

Ours is a '14. I bought my wife a '16 Escape and after doing research, I found that the '16 has a vastly simplified MyFord Touch system. 15's and earlier are sometimes frustrating to non tech savvy people (although we never had a problem figuring it out) so the '16 has been improved. I'm a GM...
  2. G

I almost bought a Grand Cherokee SRT but it only has 2 rows of seats. The Explorer Sport, comparably equipped has 3 rows and is 18k less expensive. Not as quick as the Grand Cherokee SRT but I have other toys to play with. I think the Explorer Sport, for the money is a bargain. We have 21k...
  3. G

I think you'll like a Sport as a daily driver. I have a couple pretty fast cars too and it won't come close to those performance wise, but it is suprisingly quick and fun to drive, especially as a daily driver. We took it on a 3,000 mile road trip last year and were very impressed with it. I...
  4. G

OEM Tire concerns

It was pretty bad. Not much snow removal there. Many fast food places like McD and BK were closed because their employees or supplies could not get to work but we trucked on nicely on the OEM tires in the snow mode.
  5. G

OEM Tire concerns

We drove last February through the mountains to Asheville NC during a driving ice/snowstorm with the stock tires with no problems using the snow mode. On the way back home to NW Indiana it snowed continuously all the way home. They even had almost a foot of snow in Lexington KY and again, we had...
  6. G

Thinking of buying a used Explorer. What to look for??

We have 16,000 miles on our '14 Sport and LOVE it! We have had zero problems and not a squeek or rattle. I think when you read about issues some folks have, consider that those are a miniscule percentage compared to the overall owners. On a forum, people who have legitimate issues post them...
  7. G

K&N Intake

K&N air filter mileage boost We have 15,000 miles on our '14 Sport and typically get around 22 to 23 MPG on the highway. I replaced the air filter with a K&N filter and drove about 200 miles on the highway and averaged 26 MPG! I've had K&N filters in my musclecars for years for performance...
  8. G

New map for navigation

I received a letter today from Ford advising that a new map was available for $149. Ours is a 2014 so we really don't think it's worth $149 for that. Has anyone already purchased that update and do you feel it's worth it? It would have been great customer service if Ford simply offered that...
  9. G

An Honest review of 5th generation Explorer (long)

Suggestion: Opt to get an Ecoboost 3.5 Sport and you will be driving everywhere with a big smile on your face!
  10. G

Trying to get an idea

Years ago we gave our daughter a car. We picked it up and hid it in a neighbors garage. While we all were out for dinner, our neighbor parked the car on our driveway and placed a huge bow on it. When we returned our daught saw the car and couldn't believe it!!! Our neighbor video taped it for us.
  11. G

Looking to buy a explorer, question for owners!

We've had ours for 13 months and 15,000 miles. We have gone on several long road trips and never noticed any exhaust smells. In fact, our Explorer has been the best and most perfect new car we have ever had! Why not test drive the one you are considering and see for yourself. People who...
  12. G

Adding Flowmaster to 2014 Explorer Sport

I love mine too! I can hear one coming a mile away and they always turn heads. There is no other V6 that can match that turbo Buick sound. At wide open throttle my buddies always say that it's that 10 second sound :)
  13. G

2nd Row Console

I got mine last May for $$314.54 shipped. It is even less now. It took 10 minutes to install and no carpet had to be removed. The 2 bolt holes are already there so all you do is poke a small hole in the carpet where they go. So small that ff you ever removed the console, you wouldn't even...
  14. G

Is MyFordTouch as bad as the reviews say it is?

We've had ours a year and it works great!
  15. G

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

They have 14,000 miles on them. I rotated them once at 8k miles and will do that again at the next oil change. I'm not saying they are the best tires ever... just there is nothing about them that we could complain about. They perform well in the 20" size on our Ex Sport. I also think the...
  16. G

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

We've had ours for a year and we live in the snow belt near SW Michigan. I can honestly say we are pleased with the performance of these OEM tires. In dry, rain or snow they have performed well for us. We went on a trip to Florida a month ago and pon the way home got caught in those big...
  17. G

Explorer Sport for a single guy?

The Ford Edge Sport with the EcoBoost engine is a little smaller that the Explorer Sport but still has a great power to weight ratio. We are seriously considering buying one for my wife. I like "bad ass cars" and have a couple used for fun but we also want a decent performer as a daily driver...
  18. G

New Car Time... questions about the Sport

Looks great. You are going to LOVE it.
  19. G

Snow mode = built in ECO mode?

10 days ago we were driving to Ashville, NC from Florida and we hit the mountains in South Carolina in an ice storm! I put the snow mode on and we slowly made it through the slick mountain roads and when we reached NC we hit snow on top of the ice. We must have seen over 20 cars or SUV's slide...
  20. G

New 2014 explorer owner

We've had ours for almost a year and 10,000 miles with no issues. We have been married 43 years and during that time have bought about 20 new cars/SUV's and this by far is the best vehicle we've ever had. The only problem is my wife likes it so much she wants it to be her car :) Disregard the...
  21. G

Radio/phone mute

I have a 2014 Sport. We were eating lunch in the car with the radio on in the accessory mode. I started the engine and we drove 50 feet and my friend opened the passenger door to toss our cups and bags in the trash. When he got back in the car, the radio became mute. It was on, but no sound. I...
  22. G

2014 Sport: how do you access fluid cap under air filter box

Under the air filter box on the drivers side of the engine compartment is a black cap with yellow type that says something like ...use transmission fluid only... It actually looks something like a power steering reservoir. Anyway, mine seems to be leaking right by that cap but I can't get my...
  23. G

Idle GPH on 2014 3.5L V6?

The other day on TV they were talking about preparing a car for winter driving and mentioned to keep plenty of gas in the vehicle because you could figure burning about 1 gallon per hour while idling stuck at a standstill in traffic.
  24. G

car matchmaker TV show

Thanks. It is an entertaining show. The host is funny and has a great personality. I also liked episode #1 with the Grand National which is like one of my other cars. I hope they do more episodes of the show. There used to be a show named "101 Cars You Must Drive" starring comedian Alonzo...
  25. G

car matchmaker TV show

I saw an episode of a show titled Car Matchmaker where a guy selects several vehicles that meet the requirements of a prospective buyer. They test each vehicle and then the buyer maker their choice. The episode was episode 8 and it was about a guy who has a 5 year old Escalade and wanted...
Back