Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Going to the dark side.

The Toyota ECVT has little, actually no resemblance to a traditional CVT, no steel belt or cones that move to change the ratio. The Toyota Synergy Drive has two electric motors / generators as part of the ECVT, hence the E designation. Several good videos on YouTube that describes how it works.
  2. B

Going to the dark side.

I will soon be the owner of 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander Hybrid. First time (in over 50 years) that I will have a vehicle that is not from the big three. While my 2014 XLT has been good and very reliable the "goofy" things that Ford did with the internal water pump and a PTU that doesn't have...
  3. B

Rust under the car

2014 Explorer, 106,000 miles and yes I have. Don't go crazy but I have used a rusty metal primer and then painted it with Rust Oleum. We live in WI where they use a lot of salt. We spend the winter in the mountains outside Salt Lake City that get enormous snowfalls, 900" last season. Because...
  4. B

Preferred brands of water pump, timing chain, spark plugs?

I would be very careful when it comes to critical parts. I posted a while back a link to a video on Youtube "I Do Cars". Every Saturday evening a video is posted of a complete engine failure, some catastrophic failures. In one particular case a Honda Odyssey engine was destroyed by the failure...
  5. B

2016 Explorer Mysterious Coolant Leak

Regardless of where this leak is coming from if I was planning on keeping this vehicle for any length of time I would have the water pump replaced asap. 167,000 miles is high mileage. The water pump is going to fail, all water pumps fail eventually. Unfortunately if it fails on your vehicle it...
  6. B

3.5L 3.7L Water Pump Failure Teardown Video

Every Saturday night Eric has a new video determining the cause of an engine failure. Everything from Mini Cooper engines to Jaguar's, Cummins diesels and Eco Boost's. Sometimes they come with inspection ports, I never miss it, very informative. I would guess that the cause of 90% of the...
  7. B

Need water pump/engine repair in Houston Tx

Your first step should be to determine if the engine is damaged beyond repair. If the car was driven more than just a few miles with coolant in the crankcase the engine is most likely ruined.
  8. B

muffler

Yes, the Walker fit perfect. I measured the OD of the exhaust pipe and the inlet on the Walker muffler is literally a few hundreds bigger. I went to AA and measured one before I bought it. Matched up the new muffler to figure where to cut the exhaust pipe. Been a long time since I have had to...
  9. B

muffler

Need to replace the two muffler's on our 2014 3.5 liter. Anyone use the Walker stainless steel units that rock Auto sells? Even though the entire ystem is welded it looks like the Walker units has a larger /necked up inlet that would allow the muffler inlet pipe to slide over the the exhaust...
  10. B

Vibration After New Suspension

I replaced the passenger CV joint in my 2014 due to a damaged boot and it was noisy, no vibration just noisy. Took it out and discovered that the intermediate bearing was bad. When I spun it on the shaft it hummed. Remember NEW just means never ever worked.
  11. B

Part number problem for RH CV Axle

I never asked that question but that is what the dealer installed based on the part numbers.
  12. B

Well......I don't have the O'Reilly part #, the shaft from O'Reily's was defective, the intermediate bearing was howling so I returned it for a credit and went to Ford. The Ford part number was FB5Z 3B436H which I believe is for the new part. Ford dealer used a new bracket, DB5Z 3K305B that...
  13. B

Our 2104 AWD w/towing was made in November 2013 before they changed to the new design. When I needed to replace the right front I bought what I thought was the correct one and it was not even close. I went back to O'Reillys and they brought in three different 2014 Explorer joints and we...
  14. B

Water pump replacement, do it before it goes out?

If you are planning on keeping it to 200m miles I would do it now. I have a 2014 that had 86,000 miles on it when I had it done last fall. My thinking was I wanted it to last another 60,000 miles so I saw no reason not to preemptively change it . I also did the timing components and cam...
  15. B

Glove box door removal

Has anyone replaced the glove box door? The retaining wire broke on ours so when it opened it overextended breaking the two end clips. The middle three are just a hook that snaps on the bar but the end ones are solid with holes through them. I have found a used door but do not understand how to...
  16. B

wiper mechanism

I had a windshield replaced and during the process the wiper arms under the plastic cowling were broken. I did not find it until a day or two later when I turned the wipers on and they worked but clunked loudly. Went back to Safelite and the Manager knew exactly what happened, said it's not...
  17. B

2016 Limited, No heat on pass side.

I had the same thing recently happen, unable to determine which actuator it was so I took it to the local Ford dealer. They replaced the right side blend door actuator, Part#AA5Z 193616C Motor Assy. Parts cost was $35.99
  18. B

climate control

to clarify, the temperature control works on the driver side just fine, it is just the passenger side that does not work.
  19. B

climate control

2014 Explorer with dual temperature controls. I get no heat on the passenger side of the vehicle, I assume the problem is a faulty actuator. I think the blend door actuator is accessible by taking out the glove compartment. Anyone know if this particular actuator is the one that if faulty would...
  20. B

Clunk while turning

I chased a very similar clunk, changed tie rods, etc with no luck. Ultimately I replaced the lower control arms and that resolved the issue.
  21. B

Dead Battery and Invisible Dog Fence Systems (Seriously!)

My question would be where is the induced (caused be the dog fence) draw going to? Turning on the heated seats, headlights etc?
  22. B

'16 Platinum - Front brake springs that push pad off rotor

I believe those clips are there is make noise when the pad wears to the point they touch the rotor.
  23. B

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

FYI, I kept looking around and found another Ford dealer that will change water pump, timing chain, guides etc for $2400. That is still a lot of money but I am going to do it. My 2014 has 90,000 miles and I want to keep it another four years. I went online to look at dealer inventory of 2021...
  24. B

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

My Ford dealer quoted me $3800 to replace water pump and timing chain.
Back