Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Methanol Injection

Four Zero has you on the right track. I run a progressive system on my Grand National from Snow. I can't remember what stage it is. I could check if you wanted to know. I have it set to start spraying at ten ramping up to maximum volume at twenty. You definitely have to have a tune to get...
  2. S

Tune Update question

You should return to stock before updating the device. When you fire up the device updater you are presented with the option to update, but you can skip it. I don't recall any auto updates taking place.
  3. S

Coolant change. Which color?

I would probably just stick to whatever Ford recommends, unless you have a reason to change.
  4. S

Having SO much trouble finding mods

You should check this one out as well. It draws air from outside the engine bay. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419863
  5. S

Yeah, it's always highly recommended that you return to stock before going to the dealer. They will sometimes update your ecm which can change the strategy code. Your tuner will have to compensate for that. I don't think they actively look for folks who are tuning but yes, I'm sure they could...
  6. S

That's basically it. These guys will change the parameters in the ECM for timing, fueling, boost, and who knows what else. They will also change the shifting patterns of the transmission. We have a 15 Sport. It's a night and day difference and yes, we did pick up some mileage as well.
  7. S

Do a search for Southern Speed Inc and you'll find them. I think he's located in North Carolina. Give him a call and he'll get you taken care of. They have a forum as well that you can check out. Their tunes really wake these sports up. Tell him Sinister sent you. :)
  8. S

Does the Explorer Sport have an integrated oil drain plug washer?

It has a gasket but it's not attached to the drain plug.
  9. S

I would suggest starting with a tune. It's the best bang for the buck. My recommendation is SSi, they just released Gen6 and it's great! With that you could swap out your MAP and allow the tune to use a little more boost. If you want an intake look into M Designs I think it is. They just put one...
  10. S

Livernois Tune

So your strategy isn't supported yet, got it. Hang tight, it will be soon I'm sure. The advantage of the three bar is more boost. The two bar is good to 14.7 or so while the three bar can support way more than these little turbos can produce efficiently.
  11. S

Explorer spark plugs replacement

No, I didn't have to replace any seals or anything like that but as Mark M stated we have a sport so it might be a little different.
  12. S

Livernois Tune

Thanks, but I already have a three bar with the x4, and yes it does work. All you have to do is tell Torrie you have a three bar and he'll send you an updated tune. You have to have a tune to run a three bar but you do not need anything else.
  13. S

Livernois Tune

You can actually run the 3 bar without a thermostat. The lower temps probably allow the tuners to eke out a bit more performance but it's not a necessity. Also, has anyone considered running a 2.5 bar? I believe that's stock on the F-150's and let's be honest, these little turbos we have are...
  14. S

2015 Explorer Sport Tuning Options

LMS is not the only provider of tunes for the 15 MY. I know Unleashed and SSI can tune the new ones and I'm sure most if not all of the others can as well.
  15. S

Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion

Good call. I've been following that as well. The MDesign intake sounds like the best out of the box solution. Plus it frees up some space under the hood. As I'm sure you know, some folks have been sealing the Airaid and have been getting good results as well. That takes a little extra effort...
  16. S

Is Tuning Safe

Increasing boost is one way to increase power for sure. Another is with more timing. I believe this is why you might see better mileage numbers. A combination of the two is what you'll get from Unleashed or LMS. Neither of them will push your Sport beyond safe limits unless you ask them too...
  17. S

Explorer spark plugs replacement

It's really not that bad. I pulled the plugs on our sport to check the gap. Sorry I don't have any pics for you but it's not as bad as it looks. If memory serves I had to move some things that were in the way, but take your time, make sure you put everything back together properly and you'll be...
  18. S

Turbo cooling question

The turbos on the ecoboost engines are water cooled and do not require any cool down time due to the thermal siphoning mentioned above. The turbo Buicks of the 80's did need some spin down time as the only cooling they had was via the oil itself. I also never shut my GN down after running it...
  19. S

2015 Explorer Sport Tuning Options

The two most common I've heard of are Unleashed Tuning and Livernois. Sounds like in general you could expect an extra 40 HP or so. There are plenty of threads out there debating which is better. It basically boils down to a personal choice in my opinion.
  20. S

Weathertech / Husky Front Floor Liners: 2014 mats will not fit 2015

We ordered ours through Cabelas. Without looking I believe they're called trail gear 2 liners. They come with stickers to cover the weathertech emblems but we don't bother with them.
  21. S

2015 Liners We got our new front liners last week and they fit great. Peter, I know you're curious, they do not come up higher on the door sill. They're the same as the previous years.
  22. S

1st road trip

Yeah the GN's are strong cars, no doubt about it. I went the route of over building so I could run what I wanted without fear of things coming apart. I've just been too lazy to tune it up to run the times I want. I never did put it on a dyno so I have no idea what it's putting out. I usually...
  23. S

1st road trip

Nice! We just picked up a new 15 X Sport a couple of weeks ago and love it too! They are amazing machines, no doubt! I've got a little toy in my garage as well. An 87 GN. :-) It runs high 11's up here at altitude. I haven't tuned it at all but it was built by Conley in TX and should easily get...
  24. S

Picked up our new X Sport

After a few months of being on order we picked up our new Sport last Saturday. It's an amazing car! We are thrilled with it! It's just unreal how advanced cars are these days. Who would have ever thought that they would be able to detect cars in front of them and adjust their speed to match...
  25. S

Okay, so I checked the passenger side and it fits nicely. No changes over there. I took a couple of pics of the drivers side, but they're not the best for seeing the difference. Guess I should have bought a 3D camera. :) Anyway, there's probably a three inch gap where the footrest is. Thinking...
Back