Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

Knocking - 4.6L - Rod? Other?

Back with the end of my story Well, if you're pulling the engine to replace the crank / bearings, you may as well freshen up the rest of the engine, IMO, if it's got a lot of miles on it. As for my outcome - I wound up selling the V8 for junk - I didn't have the time or inclination to...
  2. R

Recommended Oil for 4.0L

I agree about the Penn Ultra Platinum, but I'd never put it in my Ex (I've got a 4.0L with timing chain issues, and am going to put a pre-oiler in it). Actually, I'd been using the 'regular' Penn Plat for a few years in my Hondas; quieter than M1, IMO. I may replace the tensioners, too, but...
  3. R

Worst fear confirmed Update - took it to a local mechanic. Soon as I started it for him, he confirmed that it was indeed rod knock. Here's the quandary... I described both vehicles to him - and he recommended keeping the 6 cylinder - says he has customers driving them for years - if I put...
  4. R

:(Well, I might be done with Explorers and / or Ford for awhile after this one (although part of the problem was my own doing)... I've had a 2002 4.0L XLT (4WD) for a little over a year now. Fixed her up a bit and put new tires on - she's a very decent vehicle now. But I do have the...
  5. R

Body Swap (or My Explorer is Rotted to $#!T, Help Me!)

No offense meant, and I hope none was taken. Since this is body-on-frame - if you think your frame, etc., isn't rusted out too badly, you might have the right strategy. But I think the wiring, etc will be different if you swap the XLT - take the driver's side door panel, for example. In...
  6. R

Body Swap (or My Explorer is Rotted to $#!T, Help Me!)

I vote to keep the XLT for parts for the sister & g/f. One of them will need that engine someday, and if not - you can pretty much make back the $600 by selling it to someone who does. As for you...you need to get one more used Explorer - a EB with the V8. That gives you a new daily...
  7. R

02 explorer rust....

I had a '99 that was 'local' all it's life by the time I got it a couple of years ago - rust had done it's job, even though the truck was a good runner. Found my current '02 last year, and having had spent the first 8yrs of it's life in Missouri, it was night and day from the '99. Was a...
  8. R

dead battery, why?

When I had this problem, that's what I did when shutting the vehicle down - turn the interior lighting to 'off' with the wheel switch. When I was driving, I did notice that after about 10min of driving (enough time for the interior light timer to expire), I could turn the switch back 'on'...
  9. R

Christmas Wish List

Oh, Man...this has potential to be a long thread w/ many replies...but I'll bet many post for the same items... :) Here's mine... 1) Good diagnosis / action plan for my timing chain rattle(s) 2) New tensioners (rear external to start) 3) A pre-oiler system (much interest in...
  10. R

Tire Recommendation

I just put a set of Firestone Destination LE2's on mine. Haven't really gotten into the deep snow yet (we just got our first little taste), but I will say that these are quiet, and ride very smoothly. Read a lot of recommendations before I settled on these. From what I know, they're...
  11. R

5R55S Harsh Reverse & P0741 TCC Performance Valve Body Replacement

I will eventually get to this. But - for those who have the clunk / delay / slam into reverse - if it's mainly from Park, try this if you need to buy some time until you get this repaired (I got in the habit of doing this with another vehicle for a similar issue, different cause). Never...
  12. R

Key tumbler doesn't allow key to advance. Sometimes.

I had this happen to me for the first time this last week. Kinda panicked the first time - but I eventually got it to turn. IIRC, I took the key out a bit - then inserted it 'fully' (maybe a little more pressure to make sure it was all the way back?) Then it turned, no problem. Thought...
  13. R

What Did You Do To Your 3rd Gen Today?

5whiskey, was this difficult to do? I need to do the same to mine, but haven't climbed up yet to assess just how to remove the racks. As far as what I've been doing lately? Nothing lately (except replace a fuse to get my power seat working again - wondering how it blew), but it's been an...
  14. R

New Member 2002 problems

LangleyD, I just fixed mine, with a driver door switch. In mine, here's what was 'not' working, along with the constant 'door ajar' lamp... - Anytime the key was in the ignition, but not in 'run', you'd hear a constant chiming. - When you started it, the interior dome and puddle lamps...
  15. R

Tape Won't Suck into Tape Player

My '99 had the stock radio, and it worked perfectly (including the tape deck). Took that out to put a BT-enabled radio in (IL is now a hands-free state). Recommend Crutchfield 100% - echo what the other poster said...you might find it a few dollars cheaper, but you get all the adapters /...
  16. R

Generation 3 or is it a Gen. 2

It's 3rd-gen. What hurts you (and I) is that we have what are known as 'early build' 3rd-gens. While the '02 is generally considered the worst of the 3rd- (or any?) generation Explorers, the 'early build' ones (before 3/4/02) apparently have a special place in Explorer Hell. This...
  17. R

2005 Explorer Questions

Also ask yourself how much it would cost to do those things (either yourself or a mechanic), how long you plan to retain the vehicle, and what it would cost to replace the vehicle, if you needed another of the same type. On your transmission issue - do you mean the front differential, or...
  18. R

Programming a 2nd key

Yes - and thank you for setting that straight. I was interested in perhaps making a 'entry only' key or two, and hiding a 'start' key within the vehicle, in case I ever lost one. But I guess that's what the keyless entry pad comes in handy for (another 'ford only' thing, and one in which I...
  19. R

Programming a 2nd key

I don't know what the dealer charges, but when I got my 2002 recently, it came with exactly one key, no remotes (and forget about the keyless entry code). I desperately wanted / needed a second key. Didn't know a thing about PATS keys at the time. An Ace hardware by my house advertises that...
  20. R

Do this fluids really need changed???

I did mine over the course of a couple of weekends (transfer case first, then the rear diff). You'll need a transfer pump (about $8-10) to get the fluids into the casings. Remember to make sure you can loosen the fill plugs first, otherwise, you'll have empty casings and no way to refill...
  21. R

Vibrations At 65+ mph

I'm interested in how this comes out, too - I have a very similar problem (maybe a bit less violent shaking in mine - but it's at the exact same speed). Mine's a 2002 XLT with the 4.0L and 3.73 LSD (D4). Now if I get to about 80 or so, it seems to stop - or at least lessen considerably - ...
  22. R

Speaker Replacment Recomendations

My 'new' '02 came with a crappy aftermarket head; I swapped out the (cheap) Alpine from my '99 when I bought it (it has Bluetooth, and IL is now a handsfree state). Noticed my speaks sounded tired as well... I found two choices at Crutchfield. Polk db 751s (2nd pair 50% off; they always seem...
  23. R

Maintainance on Tranny - how far to go?

Basics: 2002 Explorer, 4.0, 178K. Purchased about 1K miles ago. Visual inspection before purchase seems to suggest a rebuilt tranny (yellow label from Ford on casing) Symptoms: If shifted directly into reverse, especially on any sort of incline, shift is delayed and a forceful 'bang' is...
  24. R

How To: Fix the Door Ajar Problem

Got mine fixed last weekend with a new driver's door switch. Decided to tackle it while putting in my new speakers and while I was at it, to check the rest of the window regulators to see if any others were going to go soon (I had to replace the driver's rear a few weeks ago). Checked the...
  25. R

How to: Replace 3rd Gen Ambient Air Temperature Sensor

Did mine the other day...piece of cake, thanks to these instructions. Now it's not 117F outside. Thanks, Rondo!
Back