Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

How To: Remove and Replace Rear Axle Seals

Just finished this job. Wanted to thank you guys for the advice. In my case, all came out pretty easy, no need for special tools. The axle popped out just as described above using a piece of wood and a couple of whacks from a 3-lbs hammer. I found this video...
  2. F

Good tip thanks. I am going to have limited time to do this, so all helps. Reinstalling straight forward? Anything of circlip to be aware?
  3. F

Many thanks, great photos. Any advice on re-installing the seal and the axle? I did my 2000 Ranger rear wheel bearings recently where the circlips are removed/reinstalled from inside the differential - so I did not have to be concerned with the clips or technique when reinserting those...
  4. F

I am about to get into this project and I am not too sure of what part/s to order. Do I need to get a new nut and circlip? On Ford parts giant - www.fordpartsgiant.com - it shows F89Z-4676-AA. But there is a note that it has been replaced by BR3Z-4676-A. I have not been able to contact...
  5. F

What kind of motor oil do you use?

Why use 10W30 when it calls for 5W30? From what I have read, 5W is fine for summer, too, and it offers more protection during start up since the oil will flow easier than the 10W. if you are looking for more protection for the "summer heat", that change will not do it, and going to a heavier...
  6. F

How many K on your explorer and what repairs recently

Perhaps she went off road every weekend and that is why the ball joints were shot so prematurely....... and the Ford service LOL
  7. F

Is it time to part with this '03 Explorer?

We have close to 170K miles on the explorer and I have thought about the same question : When the time comes when big items go bad, should we buy another used/new one or fix this one? If you look at the vehicle as an "investment" only (I do not want to spend 4K because it is worth 3K) then...
  8. F

Removing air intake kills engine

That is what I was hoping and not a sign of other problem. I am going to have to rig a sprayer head to go in the air intake, I do not think I got enough water in there as the engine really did not sputter much at all (and perhaps that was due to the crack in the intake) and nothing was coming...
  9. F

Removing air intake kills engine

I was preparing to decarb the Vulcan (darn pinging), removed the air intake tube at the throttle body, started the engine, ran for 5 - 10 secs and died (before adding any water). So I had to keep the air intake tube partially on the throttle to keep the engine going and increase rpms (to suck...
  10. F

Scangauge IGN readings

Hello brothers and sisters, What should the Scangauge IGN reading be at idle, warm engine. All stock, 2000, 3.0 flex, auto, 97k miles
  11. F

2000 Ranger output shaft play

I have been searching for the how-to on the bushing replacement, but have come up empty. Does the extension housing have to come out? Would that be taking the shaft out, supporting tranny, undo tranny mount and extension housing bolts??
  12. F

Thanks James, Here is a video http://youtu.be/SoJx2CQTGWI. Is this too much play? And if so, what is the solution?
  13. F

I still have a little play even with the driveshaft in. is that OK? The bushing you are talking about, would that be just after the seal - in that "neck" area. Thanks for your reply.
  14. F

2wd, auto, 95,000 miles Took the driveshaft off and noticed some play on the output shaft. The seal also has a minor leak. Is any play allowed? I have a video, not sure how to attach here...youtube perhaps? thanks
  15. F

Slip yoke grease

In my case, it is a one-piece driveshaft with one u-joint at each END of the shaft - at the differential and another at the tranny output end - where the slip yoke I am talking about is. I think the thread you all are talking about deals with the two-piece shaft and the lube job is for the yoke...
  16. F

Slip yoke grease

Yes, this is the female end that goes into the tranny - one-piece shaft. Many thanks, brothers.
  17. F

Slip yoke grease

2000 Ranger; 3.0, 2wd, auto, one-piece aluminum driveshaft. Just pulled out the driveshaft to attend to the ujoints and found NO grease on the tranny output shaft or inside the yoke - all nice and shinny, just tranny fluid. I read that this piece takes Teflon grease, but have also seen a...
  18. F

Slip yoke 2000 Ranger Auto 2wd

Thanks Bill. It is more of an up/down. I was trying to check the u joints when I noticed. I thought it could be the ujoint, but I am not certain
  19. F

Slip yoke 2000 Ranger Auto 2wd

I have been chasing a vibration in the seat of my pants/rear end of the truck that starts around 55mph. The shop that put my new tires on say I have a bent rim. I rotated the tires and still does the same, but, although having "the bent rim" in the front now, I feel no shake on the steering...
  20. F

HELP.... where does this vac line go

Vapor Canister Purge Valve http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=382759&cc=1414493
  21. F

HELP.... where does this vac line go

I believe it is routed behind the intake manifold, towards the driver side wheel well area where there is a "valve" (do not know the name or function, looks similar to the EGR valve if it was mounted sideways, plastic, with a little hat on top, another very small vacuum line coming out of it...
  22. F

What is this? Valve Gasket Replacement.

looks like fuel injector wire. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352830&highlight=valve+cover http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410863&highlight=valve+cover There are other posts out there. It is really important to clean the engine top as good as...
  23. F

For the love of GOD, how do you disable the seat belt chime?

Seatbelts and motorcycle helmets should be optional, a personal choice. However, when you are all broken up as you ate your windshield and become paralyzed, do not expect the rest of us to carry your medical bills and disability. please carry enough insurance to pay for such consequences or...
  24. F

02 4.0 PCV valve replacement and location

Jim, I just changed mine (2003 - 4.0) while I had my valve covers off for other matters. Like you, I wanted to do it for a while and found it to be a pain in the arse to reach - so decided to wait until the valve cover work. But now that I have seen the set up I would suggest this if I...
  25. F

35-0 Braking Time & Distance

A LEO at the scene is always good ,especially when you are right. But this guy could have had a warrant for the murder of ten nuns :eek: and it would make no difference to the cop investigating the collision, the traffic court judge, or a judge hearing this lawsuit. it is not relevant to whom...
Back