Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

2004 XLT Having trouble getting into TPMS Re-train mode

I tracked down the problem, and it was simply fuse #16 under the dash had blown and was keeping the TPMS light on continuously. I haven't tried to put it in train mode again, but I don't need to since the light is now off :)
  2. C

Third Row Seat to Extra Cargo Conversion

That is awesome! I took my 3rd row out and did something similar, albeit much less simpler. Basically I fastened a 2x4 on each side of the back using long self tapping bolts, then I cut a plywood top that just lays on top. I keep my jack and some tools stored under the floor. It's helpful...
  3. C

2004 XLT Having trouble getting into TPMS Re-train mode

I got 4 new tires put on a couple of months ago, and ever since then one of my tires has had a slow leak under the valve stem. I tried to tighten the nut a little bit but no luck. I was going to just replace the valve stem, the 'nut' on the outside of the tire, and the sealing gasket on the...
  4. C

Visor broke, now various electrical things like radio and windows will not work

One thing to check also is there is a black wire chase going into the drivers side door, you can pull the chase back and check for any broken wires inside. It's pretty common for the wires in there to get pinched over time and break. I never had a problem with the radio or AC but I did have...
  5. C

Harmonic Balancer Installation

just wanted to post an update, i replaced the idler pulley and belt tensioner assembly. At first everything ran smooth, no tensioner bouncing. A few days later I noticed that the tensioner has begun to bounce again. Ive been driving it daily with no issues, actually just got back from a 400...
  6. C

Its hard to tell as its only a slight wobble, but I would say its lateral. The wobble isnt bad enough to throw the belt off track, but you can see it doesnt seem to be spinning true. Also the tensioner is bouncing up and down slightly, but nowhere near as much as it was with the old balancer...
  7. C

I got the balancer new from Rock Auto. Its the Dorman 594-236. I don't have a dial caliper but I'll probably get one soon. I didn't look very much into the female end of the balancer, I just put some motor oil in there and assumed thats why it slid on so easily. I was able to slide it on...
  8. C

Does anyone know how much clearance there's supposed to be between the back of the HB and the timing chain cover? I have about 1/8" gap there maybe a little less. If the HB isn't seated all the way, could that cause it to wobble?
  9. C

I recently replaced my harmonic balancer on my 04 xlt 4.0L. Heres the procedure I followed: Removed belt, radiator and fan Used HB puller to remove the old puller Removed the old oil seal I couldn't get the old woodruff key out so I just reused it. Oiled the new seal, and pressed it into...
  10. C

harmonic balancer broke..help please

Yes I torqued to 33 ft lbs, then tightened an extra 90 degrees. I drove to work today and noticed that it seems like the pulley isnt spinning true, like it has a slight wobble to it. Also noticed the belt tensioner was bobbing up and down again, not as bad as it was with the bad HB but still...
  11. C

Thanks guys. Went to advanced auto and got the right seal made by national, don't have the part# on hand. Pressed that in and put the new balancer on without any problems. Put it all back together and it started up fine. Didn't run it long though I need to get more coolant.
  12. C

Ok I managed to get the pulley off. I ended up using a c clamp to hold the puller onto the pulley where the bolt broke. I also ended up removing the radiator cause I didn't have enough clearance. I have a few questions now.. 1. do i need to replace the woodruff key on the crank? I have a new...
  13. C

i didnt even get a chance to start pulling the pulley, i was just tightening the bolts to attach the puller and one snapped. only got it about halfway in, there was a good bit of resistance, prbably from rust and crud in the tapped holes of the pulley
  14. C

okay so I got the center bolt off using the starter bump method. But now while trying to attach the puller, one of the bolts that holds the puller onto the hb snapped. Can I pull this thing off with a regular 3 jaw puller? the rubber between the ribbed part and the pulley isnt deteriorated...
  15. C

Ok I ordered a new balancer, belt, and crankshaft seal last night. I emailed them just now to see if I can have my ground shipping changed to 2-day express so i can knock this out asap. Until then im parking it. Could there already be damage done because of the ring that is broken off on the...
  16. C

I was able to get a better look at it with a mirror, and the bolt is still on. I read somewhere that the 04-05s have a 'ring' in the balancer, and I believe this is what is broken in there.
  17. C

Ive got an 04 XLT with around 90k miles. A week or 2 ago, I started hearing the infamous chirping sound from the belt. I inspected everything and the balancer is definitely at fault. The rubber between the outer ribbed pulley and the middle of the balancer is starting to fall out and the...
  18. C

install factory sub from mountaineer into explorer with standard audio system

I have an 04 explorer xlt with the standard audio system (no subwoofer). I got a factory sub and amp from an 02 mountaineer and I want to install it in the right rear quarter panel. Any suggestions as to how I go about this? Thanks! I still have factory speakers and radio btw.
  19. C

positive camber after replacing upper control arms

Thanks guys I think im just gonna give in and take it to the shop to get an alignment tomorrow. I was wondering though, do I need a 4 wheel alignment or just front end alignment? I cant see how the alignment in the rear would have been affected.
  20. C

i did reuse the factory shims, but the nuts that came with the new control arms did not have a washer on them so they are about an 1/8" shorter than the factory nuts. also every picture ive seen online of UCAs for sale include the nuts with the washers.
  21. C

My bad, it is negative camber. Would neg camber cause it to pull to the right? i have done my own alignment in my old 95 integra, but the only thing that is adjustable on that was the toe. I did this 2 weeks ago so ive been driving the truck as it is. When it pulls to the right, the steering...
  22. C

hi guys, been reading alot on this site since i bought my 04 XLT about a month ago. 2 weekends ago i replaced both front upper control arms, and it took FOREVER because of the rust on the bolts. i got it all put back together and torque'd to spec, but both wheels now have positive camber...
Back