Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 9

1997 explorer 5.0 V8 missing intake vacuum hose errati idle hissing sound code P0171

I have a T fitting the same as the OP with a separate line running forward until the PO blocked it with some silicone and a bolt. I have to be able to pass smog and I have my doubts that a bolt plug will work.
  2. 9

1997 explorer 5.0 V8 missing intake vacuum hose errati idle hissing sound code P0171

I'm curious if anyone found the answer to this question. I'm trying to plumb in all the vacuum lines and finding some brittle plastic ones and this one is dead ended and plugged.
  3. 9

1997 with 95 ecu?

Got it. I was hoping for something easier but it looks like I need to get the stock smog gear replaced and working. Thanks
  4. 9

302 head torque question

Put in new bolts tonight. Judging by the feel they are definitely torque to yield.
  5. 9

Cooling fan options

I'll take a look at them. Thanks
  6. 9

Cooling fan options

What are the best options for electric?
  7. 9

Cooling fan options

Is there a good aftermarket fan for the 97 5.0 that eliminates the fan clutch? Just looking at mine and I figure there's bound to be a horse or two lost to the heavy fan and clutch.
  8. 9

302 head torque question

Should I have put in new head gaskets when I put in the new bolts? I haven't done anything to the engine since installing the heads.
  9. 9

302 head torque question

My shop manual says to torque the head bolts in two steps to 55#s and then torque the bolts an additional 90 degrees. I did that but now I'm wondering if that isn't excessive. I would have guessed a torque in the 80-90 ft-lb range. Could this have damaged the heads or block? Also if it is...
  10. 9

1997 with 95 ecu?

Working on the engine to get all the smog gear working right and I started wondering if an earlier ecu from an obd 1 explorer would work and would it allow me to cut out a lot of the extra smog gear in my explorer. Any experience or advice? I found the older computers were much cheaper than...
  11. 9

Exhaust for something a little different

I'm looking for exhaust to clear the front driveline on a passenger drop T-case. I'm pulling the auto that came in mine to install a NP435 and a dana 300 Tcase. Lots of custom work to make it all fit and I was wondering if anyone has found a set of headers or exhaust that might clear all of...
  12. 9

5.0 Build Up

Good to know. I think then that I will just rebuild my 302 and add a good set of headers and a cat back system. As I read the California smog requirements I can't change from stock exhaust from headers to the cat. I was hoping there were large gains to be made but it sounds pretty straight...
  13. 9

5.0 Build Up

I'll have to get past the referee and smog first I think. I don't know what they would do with aftermarket valve covers here.
  14. 9

5.0 Build Up

Spring over and solid front axle. :)
  15. 9

5.0 Build Up

They are a little spendy but very nice looking. I sent them an email checking availability. We will see when they get back to me. On another note, are there roller rockers that will work with the explorer?
  16. 9

5.0 Build Up

Thanks Kevin. Are there replacement headers that are worth the expense? I found some for the mustang but I need to make sure the CARB sticker is good on explorers and not just mustangs.
  17. 9

5.0 Build Up

As mentioned in another thread, I'm planning to make my explorer into something a little more serious for offroading. I've got what feels like a solid 5.0 under the hood (97 with about 170K on it) and would like to find the best improvements for torque that don't limit my ability to pass Cali...
  18. 9

Best Manual for 5.0 V8

I recently picked up a 97 Explorer and the OD is slipping constantly. Even at low speeds it will not hold the engine. The other 3 gears perform fine so I'm guessing the transmission is on it's way out which I'm fine with. What I am trying to find is the best 4 or 5 speed transmission that I...
Back