Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. D

Code: PO420...Need Help with Code

Me too... Hi - I have the same code (PO420) on my 97 Sport, 4.0L SOHC. The only thing the shop told me was that the message translated to "CAT BELOW THRESHOLD"... whatever that means, but Im sure it means big $$$. I also noticed this nasty smell lingering in my cab - kind of smells like...
  2. D

noise just under the drivers side

Could be the wheel bearings/hub. My 97 had similar symptoms- particularly noticable at 30-35mph. Turned out that the bearings/hub is the problem .
  3. D

Time to replace Front Hub/Bearings... need advice!

Happy New Year to All! My '97 Sport 4WD is making that dreaded spinning/rubbing sound from front left wheel well area - coupled with a vibration in the steering wheel and under my feet! Upon inspection (and an educated guess) it is infact the wheel bearing/hub - just over 96K miles, so I...
  4. D

Will '02 17" Factory wheels fit on my '97 Sport

Hi, Specs are: Ford Part Number: 2L2Z-1007-CA Wheel Size: 17X7.5, Lug Pattern: 5 LUG, 4 1/2" Offset: 44MM Currently have the chrome 3 spoke 16" wheels w/265x70x16 tires Will the 02's match up on a 97? Thanks! Steve
  5. D

Rear Brake Line??

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rear brake line for a 97 Sport? Im having the hardest time finding one! It's the 3/16 steel tube that is known as the rear axle brake tube in my service cd - this tube connects the hydraulics to the left and right rear brakes and sits on the rear...
  6. D

New Ford Ranger Wheels 97 Sport

Wow! The wheels look incredible!! Im looking to do this exact upgrade to my 97 Sport. Would love to know what year the ranger wheels are from and if they were a direct mount (bolt pattern was the same, etc) Also, are they 16" or 17"?
  7. D

Serious Explorations 10th Anniversary Run

I would love to get together with the guys on this forum to celebrate! Honestly though, the selections on the poll are too far away for many of us on the East Coast. Maybe we should put together some "Regional" events. Maybe an East and West coast thing? Hell, I'd be willing to travel down...
  8. D

Anyone have to get a reman T-case?

Thanks GJarrett for the excellent info. If I had the time, I would tear down the T-Case and replace the worn parts, but between my 4yr old and the never ending amount of work around my new (very old) house, It would've taken me weeks just to complete. I ended up going with the Jasper T-Case...
  9. D

Heh, too funny project92! Didn't take long to get back to it's annoying broken condition... didn't even need to go too far, just down the street. I do have reverse again, so thats a good thing - Oh well - the Jasper T-Case goes in Wednesday.
  10. D

Officially confused.... I drove to the train station this morning, and my T-case is working perfectly (I have reverse, no spinning/grinding sound etc) :confused: For the last 4 days it has been spinning/grinding whenever I shifted to reverse and when I would take my foot off the gas pedal...
  11. D

Slim pickings at car-part.com Looks like only 3 T-cases in New England listed! Damn - I woul'vce thought there would be more Explorer T-cases with all the nuts we have up here totaling their X's on 128 or the Pike :-)) I tried to bargin with one guy, but he knew the T-case wasn't going to be...
  12. D

Thanks man. Every symptom that you had with your T-Case describes whats going on with mine to a T. Good advice about the bearing fix - never heard of it, so I never would've asked. It looks like I'll go with the Jasper case. I really hate to pony up that much money, but I plan on keeping the...
  13. D

It looks like Im going to need a new (remanafactured) T-Case for my 97 Sport (Auto, C-Trac, Vin E). I've looked all over the forums and it looks like this is a real common problem with the 97 Explorers in particular. Anyway, I was wondering if those that did need to get a replacement...
  14. D

97 Explorer 4.0 SOHC transfer case issues

I've got a '97 Explorer Sport 4WD, SOHC, Auto-Trans - and I have the same exact problem. I left the house this morning and it was fine. I drove on the highway for about 25 miles using cruise control - I pressed on the break and thats when I noticed the sound that everyone has described. So I...
  15. D

Need help removing OEM front shocks.

Thanks all. Im going to cut them off - what a P.I.T.A. the OEM shocks are to remove when you throw rust in the mix.
  16. D

Thanks shaggsta. I haven't tried heat yet - too much PB blaster in the area. Im using a 15mm combo wrench and a pair of vice grips to secure the shock - but as I mentioned the hold teet at the top of the stud is stripped pretty good. I've give the strap wrench idea a shot.
  17. D

Hi, Another adventure in rust country (aka New England)... Im having some difficulty removing the OEM shocks on my 97 Sport 4x4. I hosed all the bolts down with PB Blaster and I still can't get the retaining nut off the top of the shock mount. I stripped the top area used to hold the shock...
  18. D

May I introduce myself...

Hiya! Welcome to the best explorer site out there - good to see another person from MA - there seems to be quite a few of us out there if you look around the forums. There's tons of great info here - and plenty of knowledgable people to help steer ya in the right direction with just about any...
  19. D

Vibration with accelleration/PS sluggish

Steering Rack. Did you check the PS fluid level? Get underneith and check for snapped bolts or dirty PS fluid leakage. Is this a 4WD? Could be linkage issues as well. Good place to start is the PS fluid, then look at the rack.
  20. D

AC problem, smoke out of vents

Is it possible it was condensation? I know old dodge's used to have that problem. Did the smoke/vapor smell or was it like a cool mist?
  21. D

97 4.0 ohv miss/stutter

if it aint motorcraft its a crap shoot Seems silly, but I've heard from a few Ford service techs that the 4.0's are kinda peculiar when it comes to spark plugs. Seems that the Motorcraft platinums are the safest plug for the 4.0's although Im sure some will disagree. Have you ever had your...
  22. D

Ball Joints bad = unsafe to drive?

Better Ball Joints? I was told by my tech that I need lower balljoints for my 97 sport - does anyone know which manufacturer makes better balljoints? I've always used Moog in the past, but as a new Explorer owner, Im not sure if there's something better out there. Thanks!
  23. D

New to forum and owning an Explorer

Thanks! Thanks Crankcase! This site is great - tons of good X info. :thumbsup: Making my donation to become an elite was a no brainer! :afro:
  24. D

No brake lights !!!!!!!!

I know this may be a stupid response, but did you check the bulbs? I'd start there if you haven't. It could also be your brake relay switch if it's not the bulbs...
  25. Left Side Angle

Left Side Angle

Another wicked sharp pic of my 97 X.
Back