Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. O

1997 AWD 5.0 rough idle, bucks when accelerating under 2000rpmc

I don't recall copper vs platinum but I know it wasn't Iridium.
  2. O

Sorry, ACDELCO from Autozone.
  3. O

The old plugs I pulled out had all kinds of buildup on them. White chalky substance that was flaky but hard. They looked to possibly be the original plugs in the truck. Most plugs had less than 2mm of space between the buildup and the element end on the spark plug. It was really bad.
  4. O

Ok, the plug was new last spring so it should still look pretty good unless the injector made it bad. I guess I'll know more when I pull it.
  5. O

I replaced the plugs, cap and rotor last summer, just got lazy and didn't finish the plug wires. If the plug wires don't fix it and the injector is bad, do I want to replace all of them?
  6. O

I get the misfire causing the rough idle but the bucking/stuttering has me thrown.
  7. O

CLeaned the IAC and MAF. Went to Oreillies and pulled the codes. Only code thrown is "Cylinder 4 misfire"....
  8. O

As the subject. 97 Explorer 5.0 AWD. I can't figure it out. Tonight the car surged while cruising at accelerating from a stop light bucking hard. Once over 2k rpm's it's fine and pulls fine over 2K rpm or in 2nd gear. When I slow to a stop in gear it has a rough idle. In Park it's smooth...
  9. O

Runs Rough (lugging) when accelerating at low rpm 97 5.0 AWD

My truck runs pretty well for 190K miles. 97 5.0 AWD The issue I am having is that the truck seems to lug/buck a bit at low RPM ( under 2K rpm) when accelerating. The truck has 1yr old cap/rotor, plugs, plug wires and fuel filter. The trans fluid has never been replaced since I've owned...
  10. O

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

Wow, I never thought to write it down like you did. As an aircraft electrician, I"m used to just getting it working so I did everything you did but without writing it up. Good job! What Mr. Alligator here says is super accurate and should be followed if you have the know how to do it.
  11. O

How to: 2nd Gen Gauge Cluster Removal and LED Conversion V2

Wow, I never thought to write it down like you did. As an aircraft electrician, I"m used to just getting it working so I did everything you did but without writing it up. Good job! What Mr. Alligator here says is super accurate and should be followed if you have the know how to do it.
  12. O

Has anyone looked into swapping a 6R80 Transmission into 2nd gen EX?

As the subject, would it even fit? If so, what all would it entail?
  13. O

What is the Tire Pressure supposed to be for 97 Eddie Bauer w/16 inch wheels?

Thank you. That's what I was looking for! :burnout:
  14. O

Wrangler A/T with Kevlar. I'll be setting mine to 32 before my trip. Thank you all for the discussion. I agree that you should set the tire pressure to what is labeled on the door. Whether or not that is safe, well, only cars I can think of that had this issue, ever, were these Explorers.
  15. O

I found the article talking about the tire pressure problems. I think I'll run 32-33 to be safe. That said, you should always follow the sticker on the door. That is supposed to be the "optimal" tire pressure for that specific vehicle with the stock tire size.
  16. O

My stcker references 15" tires. I just want to know what the Eddie Bauer model calls for on its sticker for 16" wheels.
  17. O

As the subject says. Previous owner installed 16 inch wheels on my 97 XLT which calls for 15" wheels. When i replaced the tires, i installed the factory size tires for the 97 Eddie Bauer rather than buying new wheels. The only problem is now I don't know what air pressure to set the tires at...
  18. O

Need new splash guards for wheel well - 97 Ex - Any ideas?

Hey guys, My splash guards in my wheel wells basically fell apart tonight when I removed them to change my spark plugs. Does anyone know where I can source a set? I also need a full set of those black tabs as over 80% of them broke off even though I was using my soft-puller tool for them.
  19. O

Spark plug question - pics below - Please critique

Hey all, Changed my plugs tonight and good gawd were they a pita to get out. Mostly because they were frozen in place. This was the third plug back on the drivers side. This is all the plugs on the left side, from the front to the rear (left-right). You can see that number one plug...
  20. O

Replaced Battery and now truck cranks but won't start. 97 Ex, AWD.

Ok, New fuel filter in, no change in priming PSI (10) or Idle PSI (32). It does however seem to be starting easier. I also changed plugs all around and the plug wires on the drivers side. Ran out of time tonight to do the passenger side (0400 comes too damn early! lol). How does the...
  21. O

Ok, well that gives me some more confidence. Thanks guys all for the input. I really do appreciate it. I'll keep you posted on how things progress.
  22. O

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking, but it's late in the game now, 800 mile trip next Thursday for work that I need to go on but no time to change out the pump between now and then (I've only ever helped do one years ago on my friends Camaro).
  23. O

Ok. Fuel gauge was bad. Got a new one. Priming psi is 10. Idle psi is 32. Didn't have anyone with me to check with pressure. I will. Change the filter tomorrow and see if that changes anything.
  24. O

There is negligible pressure during priming. I'm going to check it against my other truck tonight. Maybe its just the gauge not reading it? Looking back, the truck has Always been a hard starter. More so now that its getting colder.
  25. O

So, we pushed it out of the drive, got it parked on the street so I could get my Firebird that I thought I had parked for the winter out. On a whim, I went out and tried starting it. One of the things in the manual says "IF the engine doesn't start, depress the accelerator pedal to the floor...
Back