Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

4.6 engine swap from a crown Vic (or other ford)

My 2004 has 209,000 miles and the engine is tired. Low oil pressure, loss of power. In my search for a replacement motor on car-parts.com i find that motors for other fords are a lot cheaper. Typical engine for my car with less than 120,000 miles they want $12-1600 Same engine with less...
  2. H

Testing normal transmission behavior ?

From all the horror stories I am beginning to think this trans may have blown before i got the car at 125,000. It's fully loaded XLT with a 4.6 - We blew the engine at 145,000. Replaced it with a used engine that had 97K. I did TIming chain on the second engine at 185K (145K On engine)...
  3. H

Ok, on the drive home i paid more attention. With the pedal flat it did eventually shift to 4th right near 6,000. And then i keep it on the floor and the speed keeps climbing to around 85 but the revs stay at 6K. The speed limit is 55 on this road so i stopped. Driving aggressively but...
  4. H

Thanks. I'll do a bit more testing and get back to you.
  5. H

Ok, probably not. I did a little calculating and 5500 in 4th is close to 110 so it looks like i was doing 70 in 3rd.
  6. H

My 2004 XLT just wen over 200,000 - runs great. I bought it at 110,000. As far as i know the ATF and filter were never replaced. So it was shifting a bit funny, occasionally not engaging for second when i put it in drive. Finally last night i dropped the pan, replaced the filter and six...
  7. H

Can i fake out the chipped key ?

I have only ONE chipped key for my 2004 XLT. If i cut an un-chipped key and stash the chipped key in the steering column, will it work? A friend did this with his dodge vans, it worked perfectly.
  8. H

Torque Converter Rattle?

I have the same issue. I nailed it down to the otrque converter by listening through a piece of hose. It absolutely cannon be anywhere else. I also determined the noise is once per rev. (i have go workers who do vibration and noise analyis) In my reading of many forums it appears that the...
  9. H

2004 4WD 4.6 possible torque converter problem?

MORE INFO; I've read as many posts on the topic as i can find. I used a peice of hose to determine it is definitely coming fron the area of the TC / flex plate. It also aligns with engine RPM, (one rattle per rev) The engine was replaced 40,000 miles ago. THis was my wife's car so i...
  10. H

2004 4WD 4.6 possible torque converter problem?

I've had this subtle mechanical noise for a while. Could not pin it down. Not valves or bottom end. It's louder down by the wheel well, toward the back. Car mostly runs great. Twice in the last month the TC or the trans slipped a little at take off. just a tine bit of engine spin...
  11. H

Questions about EGR delete 4.6

My 2004 XLT V8 has the EGR code. I took it off and it seems very stuck. Symptoms are a slight power shimmy if accelerate normally. But no shimmy if i drive it hard. Also getting worse-than-usual MPG, like 13. I drive a 25 mile commute with no hills and almost no draffic. The EGR for...
  12. H

Looking to buy 02-05 Explorer - looking for suggestions

Echoing others, I think the trans issue is overblown. Yes, there are known problems having something to do with the servo bore. There is also a fix for it. But my 2004 V8 4WD has 186,000 trouble free miles on the orginal transmission and fluid.
  13. H

DO you have to remove regulator to change window motor?

Yeah, I'm still not finding the answer. I pulled the rear door motor out easily but the front is different. and i can't find info to the contrary.
  14. H

DO you have to remove regulator to change window motor?

I've done window motors on several fords and it's been easy to just slip the motor out. THis one seems more difficult so I went looking for a video and thy all showed my how to punch rivets and remove the whole regulator. AM i missing something or is that what you have to do? thanks
  15. H

AC question

But you don't know the history. You have a leak but it may be slight. I've had a couple cars that needed a can every season. It was not worth trying to resolve the leak. You might just try servicing and see how it behaves. But everyone who messes with their own cars should teach...
  16. H

Radiator, AC Condensor, PS Cooler and Tranny Cooler, which is which, w/ Pics!

Just put a real hitch on and trailer brakes and enjoy yourself. I bet if you monitored the temps there would be almost no difference between unloaded and loaded for 10 miles. People are going to freak out at this advice. Of course exceeding towing capacity is not recommended but I'm pretty...
  17. H

Radiator, AC Condensor, PS Cooler and Tranny Cooler, which is which, w/ Pics!

I think you'd be OK if you did nothing but the hitch. A heavy tow rating assumes pulling a big box at freeway speed for long periods of time. Boats have way less wind resitance, a 10 mile trip with no hills is just not going to get the fluids hot.
  18. H

Website to find original towing specs by VIN NUMBER?

Not sure about the oil cooler and radiator but you should start with the axle code. The trailerLife towing guide for that year has these numbers: Explorer 4.0 V-6 3,500 3.55 axle Explorer 4.0 V-6 5,940 3.73 axle Explorer 4.6 V-8 3,500 3.55 axle Explorer 4.6 V-8 7,300 3.73 axle...
  19. H

Manual trans swap from a Ranger donor ?

>> I'd look for a 4x4 manual f150. But your price point of $800 is not a reasonable target for a swap. I'd look to pay half that for the donor vehicle where i live, and another few hundred on parts and fabrication. But everything goes over budget.
  20. H

5R55 oil analysis info from Blackstone labs-

If this was just me daily driver i would not worry about it but i want this truck for road trips and excursions deep in the woods. I want to know the trans has some years left in it. Oil analysis is only $25 and they can tell you a lot of stuff. Apparently, the failure point for these...
  21. H

Jammed Hatch ----- Please Help

If the coat is not actually tangled in the latch, try putting inward pressure on the hatch, while you work the handle. Like maybe a lot of pressure, two people pushing the door in really hard, especially where the fabric is,while someone works the latch.
  22. H

5R55 oil analysis info from Blackstone labs-

I don't know for sure but we bought it around 100K and put another 90,000 on it. maybe it got flushed every 30K, maybe it failed and was replaced. But I'm assuming nothing was ever done.
  23. H

This is not something I am really planning but I think I'll have this truck for a while and the trans will probably fail before the rest of the vehicle and with a bit of luck this swap could be done for less than the price of a rebuild, maybe less than a used 5R55 (about $800) So knowing what...
  24. H

Ok, how about a 97 F150 with 4.6 and 5 speed?
  25. H

Timing Chain replacement 4.6- FAIL

I just thought i would wrap this thread up for some future reader who might be looking for info. I did not drop the oil pan. Instead i dumped large ammount of kerosene through the engine and directly into the front of the pan with the oil pump off. I also blew air down the oil pump pickup...
Back